BBC brings iPlayer to the fourth-gen Apple TV in the UK

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The BBC has brought its online streaming service, iPlayer, to U.K. owners of the fourth-generation Apple TV thanks to a promised app.

The app sports a look consistent with tvOS, and live streams of BBC channels as well as on-demand video. Access is restricted to the U.K. as a free perk for the country's TV license fee payers.

Different menu layers let users see highlights, popular choices, and show/genre picks, as well as switch between channels.

In October the BBC briefly hinted that iPlayer would be coming to the Apple TV, but at the time said only that it would arrive in "the coming months." The debut is particularly notable since previous Apple TV models lacked an iPlayer app, even if people could get around this to a degree by using AirPlay in the iOS client.

The fourth-gen set-top launched in late October. Since then the number of tvOS apps has grown rapidly, topping over 2,624 as of Dec. 3. Another recent media provider to jump on board was Pandora.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Wow.  Red.
    argonaut
  • Reply 2 of 22
    BBC: don't forget US
    buckalec
  • Reply 3 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They need to offer an international subscription sooner than later.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    As others have said, BBC should offer a US, and elsewhere, a monthly license/subscription.  Why turn its back on an opportunity to make more £s?
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 5 of 22
    crowley said:
    Wow.  Red.
    Communist Red
    equality72521apple ][
  • Reply 6 of 22
    As others have said, BBC should offer a US, and elsewhere, a monthly license/subscription.  Why turn its back on an opportunity to make more £s?

Probably because of licensing. The BBC does not produce all of its content in-house.  It would be a much reduced product outside of the U.K., or whole new licensing agreements would need to be reached.

Plus, there are organizational challenges. iPlayer is a BBC TV product, but BBC TV only operates in the UK, outside is a whole different entity, BBC Worldwide.  They are both owned by the Corp, but are very different organizations, as BBC TV is not for profit, whereas BBC Worldwide is a more regular commercial company.  Also, the entire organization operates under a Charter, because of the way it is funded and governed, which limits it by law in what it is able to do.

The previous attempt to rollout a Global iPlayer got canned, probably for these reasons.

It's not a simple "they should just do it".

edited December 2015 argonaut
  • Reply 7 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    crowley said:
    Wow.  Red.
    Communist Red
    Indeed. That color is quite horrid, though I can't say that I am that surprised that the BBC would choose such a color, based on their leanings.
    equality72521
  • Reply 8 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    And not that I really care too much about having a BBC channel on my Apple TV, but why don't they offer this for the Apple TV 3 also?

I would think that quite a few people own Apple TV 3s, and they're not going away anytime soon.
  • Reply 9 of 22
     apple ][ said:
    crowley said:
    Wow.  Red.
    Communist Red
    Indeed. That color is quite horrid, though I can't say that I am that surprised that the BBC would choose such a color, based on their leanings.
    lol
  • Reply 10 of 22
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    crowley said:
    Wow.  Red.
    Communist Red

This is just the colo(u)r for that particular page - red distinguishing bbc one from other channels when browsing by channel. Most of the interface will be the iPlayer dark grey background with pink accents.

Good to see this arrive. I'm sure that previous Apple TVs would have sold better in the UK with more local content like this.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    apple ][ said:
    crowley said:
    Wow.  Red.
    Communist Red
    News app is red too, it's the new 'house style' I assume.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    crowley said:

Probably because of licensing. The BBC does not produce all of its content in-house.  It would be a much reduced product outside of the U.K., or whole new licensing agreements would need to be reached.

Plus, there are organizational challenges. iPlayer is a BBC TV product, but BBC TV only operates in the UK, outside is a whole different entity, BBC Worldwide.  They are both owned by the Corp, but are very different organizations, as BBC TV is not for profit, whereas BBC Worldwide is a more regular commercial company.  Also, the entire organization operates under a Charter, because of the way it is funded and governed, which limits it by law in what it is able to do.

The previous attempt to rollout a Global iPlayer got canned, probably for these reasons.

The reason that didn't work was that you needed a subscription.
    It would have been extremely successful if a small amount was asked per episode or view.

• Reply 13 of 22
    The US can't get a subscription and the UK has no choice. 
  • Reply 14 of 22
    knowitall said:
    crowley said:

The reason that didn't work was that you needed a subscription.
    It would have been extremely successful if a small amount was asked per episode or view.
    Like iTunes TV Rentals?  That sure worked well.
  • Reply 15 of 22

No choice?  I can choose not to watch it, and I can choose not to pay.  Currently I can even choose to watch it and not pay, and that's completely ok.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    This is great news - BBC iPlayer is huge in the UK and probably the most popular streaming service by far. 

BBC iPlayer is free for everybody in the UK and has no adverts. A lot of UK TV, including BBC channels and Freeview, is 'free' providing you pay the £145 TV license which is required to watch any form of live broadcast TV, regardless of its source. Providing you don't watch anything live on BBC iPlayer and only watch catchup content - even just an hour old, there's no obligation to buy a TV license. I know people that only BBC iPlayer and nothing else. 

The main reason for its popularity though is the fantastic content, covering a vast range of genres - documentaries, dramas, comedies, music, politics, entertainment etc. 

BBC iPlayer is available on pretty much every device and service already, including iPod, iPad, iPhone, Sky satellite receiver, BT Vision, YouView, Virgin cable etc. and widely watched by kids, teenagers and adults.

Access is restricted to UK IP addresses for licensing reasons, as described above.

Having BBC iPlayer on Apple TV isn't likely to make people rush out an buy it but it does fill an odd gap - it's absence was inexplicable. 
    argonaut
  • Reply 17 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The future of TV is indeed apps. In the UK for instance ITV will follow, and then Channel 4, and then SKY (although you will need to pay). Maybe BT sport.

That's the "skinny content" that most people need in Blighty, nobody would need to buy cable subscription channels anymore. 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    apple ][ said:
    crowley said:
    Wow.  Red.
    Communist Red
    If you take a look at the channel list in the screen shot, each BBC channel has its own colour, red is the colour of its main channel BBC 1. Darker red for its news channels.

Red is a great colour, its in both the English, Welsh, Northern Irish flags and in the Union Jack (British flag). Or are you saying because red is in the USA flag that the states is communist?

Plus for BBC 1 screen idents inbetweeners, its warm and friendly.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 19 of 22
    crowley said:

No choice?  I can choose not to watch it, and I can choose not to pay.  Currently I can even choose to watch it and not pay, and that's completely ok.

Ruling out not owning a TV (certainly a choice but my point), I don't follow. From the TV licensing site:

"You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device."

How do you watch and not pay?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    crowley said:
    Wow.  Red.
    Communist Red
    You are quite mistaken. For the colour to reflect their leanings it would need to be green.