Dealers say GM's rapid adoption of Apple CarPlay is helping them sell cars

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    entropys said:
    jungmark said:
    I dunno. CarPlay to sell cars?Sounds dubious. I guess it's the tipping point, all else being equal. But when is everything else equal?
    Well, if someone is really keen for sat nav, for example, and the only way to get it in vehicle X is an upsell of $1500 for a lux multimedia system that is unlikely to get a system update for the life of the vehicle, and vehicle Y which was a fairly similar vehicle but you were able to use CarPlay with no need for a stereo upgrade, I could see that as a decider.
    It's simple. Apple users can afford to buy new vehicles. "It supports your iPhone": SALE.

I thought this was pretty much implied though. I mean it's logical to me at least, didn't think it needed mention.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    I recently attended a week long training course for the new BMW 7 Series. While the car is a significant upgrade, BMW blew it in a few key areas. I got into a few heated discussions with the instructor and a few other attendees over these issues.

For starters, they support screen casting with Android. This is an OK feature, but I don't really see the use of watching videos from my phone in my car. You can't do this with iOS, of course, and this was the first time the instructor hinted Android was further ahead and that's why BMW was supporting it.

Next up, they went with a small Samsung tablet in the rear centre console instead of another iDrive controller. Big mistake. When it works, it's quick and easy. Problem is, it loses connection often and has to be restarted/reset. Other times it displayed a "establishing connection" message for 5-10 seconds before you could use it. Sound familiar? This happened once a day minimum on the 3 cars we were using. People who pay $100K plus on a car don't want to have to wait before they can use something.

The car also has NFC, which is used with Android phones for quicker Bluetooth pairing. Quicker my ass. The 3 people with Android phones in our class all took longer to pair their phones then I did my iPhone 6S Plus. They were playing around with settings to make sure they had NFC enabled for this feature then had to try a couple times until it worked. It didn't help that the exact location for the NFC receiver wasn't shown so they had to move their phones a bit until it worked. Yippee. Some Android users might save a few seconds setting up their phone with the car. After that, the car remembers your phone and you don't need to pair it again unless you get a new phone. Pointless technology that doesn't actually save you time.

They also now have wireless charging in the car. The instructor again seemed to imply BMW was embracing Android more than Apple since Apple didn't support wireless charging. Stupid thing was only some phones would actually wirelessly charge. This was because of the location of the charging coil and the fact some phones (like the new Note 5 the instructor had) didn't properly fit the cradle. Even more of an oversight - the advanced remote key BMW has needs to be wirelessly charged in this cradle (unless you want to plug it in using a Micro USB cord). So you have to decide should you put your key in the cradle or your phone. 

I asked the instructor why they never bothered with CarPlay and his response was "Apple wanted too much information and BMW wouldn't agree to their terms". WTF? I think he's got it backwards. He also stated BMW chose an Android tablet for the same reason. Bull. They did because they can customize the software for their own use.

I explained how much better Android Auto is than the very limited screen casting they currently have for Android users, and if BMW was really going the Android route they should have added this. No answer from the instructor on this point. 

So I then asked him why would BMW make a luxury car, and not cater to the users that actually HAVE money? The first example I gave was that mobile shopping is about 75% iOS and 25% Android. I asked him if he was running a mobile shopping site, would he make it for Android who only account for 25% of the money spent or iOS which had 75%? He didn't really have an answer. I also brought up studies that show, on average, that iOS users have a higher education and also higher average salary. Again, he didn't have an answer.

Funniest moment was I actually met, for the first time, an Android troll/Apple hater in the flesh. This came up when I heard his first comment about Android and BMW. He literally said that it looks like BMW is catering to the intelligent users with Android instead of the simple users with iPhones. I asked him if Android users are so intelligent, then why did it take him so long to activate NFC on his phone, while I was able to pair mine faster than him? He didn't have an answer, so I let it go there without humiliating him further. 

To sum up, the new 7 Series is a great car that's hampered by very poor decisions regarding mobile device support and BMW's stubbornness to not use either CarPlay or Android Auto. FYI, I already sent feedback to BMW after the course about this, so interested to see if I get a response. 
    edited December 2015 thepixeldocanantksundaramnasseraestompy
  • Reply 23 of 37
    I recently attended a week long training course for the new BMW 7 Series. While the car is a significant upgrade, BMW blew it in a few key areas. I got into a few heated discussions with the instructor and a few other attendees over these issues.

For starters, they support screen casting with Android. This is an OK feature, but I don't really see the use of watching videos from my phone in my car. You can't do this with iOS, of course, and this was the first time the instructor hinted Android was further ahead and that's why BMW was supporting it.

Next up, they went with a small Samsung tablet in the rear centre console instead of another iDrive controller. Big mistake. When it works, it's quick and easy. Problem is, it loses connection often and has to be restarted/reset. Other times it displayed a "establishing connection" message for 5-10 seconds before you could use it. Sound familiar? This happened once a day minimum on the 3 cars we were using. People who pay $100K plus on a car don't want to have to wait before they can use something.

The car also has NFC, which is used with Android phones for quicker Bluetooth pairing. Quicker my ass. The 3 people with Android phones in our class all took longer to pair their phones then I did my iPhone 6S Plus. They were playing around with settings to make sure they had NFC enabled for this feature then had to try a couple times until it worked. It didn't help that the exact location for the NFC receiver wasn't shown so they had to move their phones a bit until it worked. Yippee. Some Android users might save a few seconds setting up their phone with the car. After that, the car remembers your phone and you don't need to pair it again unless you get a new phone. Pointless technology that doesn't actually save you time.

They also now have wireless charging in the car. The instructor again seemed to imply BMW was embracing Android more than Apple since Apple didn't support wireless charging. Stupid thing was only some phones would actually wirelessly charge. This was because of the location of the charging coil and the fact some phones (like the new Note 5 the instructor had) didn't properly fit the cradle. Even more of an oversight - the advanced remote key BMW has needs to be wirelessly charged in this cradle (unless you want to plug it in using a Micro USB cord). So you have to decide should you put your key in the cradle or your phone. 

I asked the instructor why they never bothered with CarPlay and his response was "Apple wanted too much information and BMW wouldn't agree to their terms". WTF? I think he's got it backwards. He also stated BMW chose an Android tablet for the same reason. Bull. They did because they can customize the software for their own use.

I explained how much better Android Auto is than the very limited screen casting they currently have for Android users, and if BMW was really going the Android route they should have added this. No answer from the instructor on this point. 

So I then asked him why would BMW make a luxury car, and not cater to the users that actually HAVE money? The first example I gave was that mobile shopping is about 75% iOS and 25% Android. I asked him if he was running a mobile shopping site, would he make it for Android who only account for 25% of the money spent or iOS which had 75%? He didn't really have an answer. I also brought up studies that show, on average, that iOS users have a higher education and also higher average salary. Again, he didn't have an answer.

Funniest moment was I actually met, for the first time, an Android troll/Apple hater in the flesh. This came up when I heard his first comment about Android and BMW. He literally said that it looks like BMW is catering to the intelligent users with Android instead of the simple users with iPhones. I asked him if Android users are so intelligent, then why did it take him so long to activate NFC on his phone, while I was able to pair mine faster than him? He didn't have an answer, so I let it go there without humiliating him further. 

To sum up, the new 7 Series is a great car that's hampered by very poor decisions regarding mobile device support and BMW's stubbornness to not use either CarPlay or Android Auto. FYI, I already sent feedback to BMW after the course about this, so interested to see if I get a response. 
    Phenomenal post. Just about sums up my view of BMW as well, especially looking to the future. Even though I have a wonderful BMW (a 535xi GT) that I enjoy driving, their dashboard electronics, navigation system, maps, graphics quality, and ease of use of controls are pathetic. I had an Audi before, which was equally terrible on these fronts, and my wife had a VW Touraeg which she got rid of as soon as she could. 

The Germans certainly know build good automotive hardware, but they have ZERO software skills. Or, as in the case of VW, the software skills are not necessarily put to the best use. 
  • Reply 24 of 37
    I want a dumb car with a screen the same way I want a dumb TV. Let my phone handle the rest. 
    stompy
  • Reply 25 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    daekwan said:
    And silly ass Toyota refuses to adopt CarPlay. I'm currently holding off my purchase of either a 2016 Honda Pilot or Ford Explorer w/Sync3 until either of these vehicles officially support CarPlay.
    Toyota infotainment center is really bad. Slow, crashes frequently, and just nightmare to use. My wife's Mercedes is not better. I understand that they don't want to hand over their cars to Apple or Google but at least pretend to make an effort to learn from them and make better infotainment center. Like you, my next car must have CarPlay and hopefully in 4 to 5 years they will come to their senses.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    20 years before my family own American manufacturers made vehicles like first car GM Buick, 2nd Ford and 3rd Chrysler Mini Van. Than left and never looked back, but own  Toyota, Honda, BMW. Now, American made cars have come long way in every aspects including very reliable; and with GM's CarPlay adoption, I will consider owning GM and similar American auto manufacturers vehicles. Bye-Bye Toyota and Honda.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 27 of 37
    I believe it. Infotainment is a huge part of the enjoyment of using a car. CarPlay will be a major part of my next new car decision. GM is smarter than the others for taking the lead on this. 
    Smart and Informed buyer. We don't replace cars(every 10 years ?) like gadgets(every year or  so why buy a vehicle if not supporting phone connectivity at greater extent ? Adopting phone connectivity is not added cost to car manufacturers if plan ahead into their Infotainment console design process because customer is paying for phones and it's cell plan.

edited December 2015
  • Reply 28 of 37
    daekwan said:
    And silly ass Toyota refuses to adopt CarPlay. I'm currently holding off my purchase of either a 2016 Honda Pilot or Ford Explorer w/Sync3 until either of these vehicles officially support CarPlay.
    I am holding my car purchase too. Hope, ios 9 wirelss carplay and next gen IoT(internet of Things) BT is adopted so I can check/operate many functions of car(open,close and check door lock, Map, Call/text,music,gas low, car location, etc) through my iphone.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Those who bought vehicles because they needed are pardon but anyone now-on buys vehicles without much needed available phone connectivity(CarPlay, android auto) is uninformed, outright dumb buyer. Remember, you don't buy or replace vehicle like your gadgets every so months or years. Wait, be-informed and choose wisely. It doesn't cost car manufacturers to add such functionalities because it is software based sharing Infotainment system(which already available in car) and if they plan ahead into their design process than it can be well integrated, responsive/pleasure to use. Moreover, phone manufacturers provide free Map updates on phone and customers pay for buying phone, music service, call/text cell plan, Apps to locate parked, etc. We must demand CarPlay available in every car produced and sold.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Yes, this is a morose comment. That said, this is yet one more incentive for distracted driving.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,499member
    Speaking for myself, CarPlay compatibility isn't the highest priority in what I'm looking for in a new car, but when it comes to infotainment options, it had better be there -- or that car is off the list.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 37
    daekwan said:
    Sync 3 supports CarPlay, but Ford hasn't said when the support will start. I imagine Sync 3 will just need a software update once Ford adds CarPlay support. 
  • Reply 33 of 37
    jungmark said:
    I dunno. CarPlay to sell cars?Sounds dubious. I guess it's the tipping point, all else being equal. But when is everything else equal?
    You want a real case? I am in the market for a
    new car and I made the decision that I want Car Play or I will not buy it. I looked at Chevy Impalas and I saw that I could save thousands by buying 2015 but they don't have Car Play. I looked at Cadillac and they do not have yet Car Play, they have Cadillac Cue whatever that is.  

Tomorrow,  I am picking up a fully loaded 2016 Impala 2LXT with Car Play, adaptive cruise control, MyLink Radio with navigation, etc etc.  I am proof that Car Play sells a car. 
  • Reply 34 of 37
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,326member
    Though it is not perfect, I installed the aftermarket Alpine CarPlay unit in my beater.  At this point, I would insist that my next new car have Apple's CarPlay.  If they don't, I will move onto another brand.  Period.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    mac_128 said:
    No wonder Apple is likely working so hard to build a car ... just look at this dash design -- Jony Ive must be close to gouging his eyes out ...

Exactly, this is why I don't like American cars for their engineers got no taste. What about put that CarPlay into this one of mine:

• Reply 36 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    I am not buying my next car without CarPlay in it. Hoping that Jaguar will have it across all of its 2017 models. (I've given up on BMW doing it, and will be moving on from them).
    Mercedes has it...
    BMW is starting to piss me off too.  Their voice command system sucks.
    Voice Commands mean you have to speak the commands. They don't work like Voice Assistant like Siri or Google Now. The point of voice command is to make a call...what else you expect? However, why would you even need voice command in the car? All I had to do is to ask Siri to do to do that..."Hey, Siri, please call my wife", boom..."Calling Gisele Bündchen". 
    edited December 2015