Apple's 'iPad Air 3' won't get 3D Touch for March 2016 debut, 'iPhone 7' on track for September, in

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    sog35 said:

This Kuo guy is a clown.  I could do his job.

So do it!
  • Reply 22 of 51
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    what about Pencil support?
    I'd say Pencil support is likely as they'll want to offer upgrade features to woo newer iPad holdouts.
    Exactly.  If they don't have 3D touch, it seems likely they won't have pencil support either, and if they don't have either, what's the fucking point of even producing them?  Why would I upgrade my iPad if all it offered was the typical half millimetre thickness difference and the slightly faster processor?  Spring is also far too soon for new case materials rumoured to be debuting on the next iPhone.  

If the iPad Air and the iPad mini don't get some kind of updated 3D Touch and/or pencil support, then there is no reason to have the Spring event at all.  
  • Reply 23 of 51
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say Pencil support is likely as they'll want to offer upgrade features to woo newer iPad holdouts.
    Exactly.  If they don't have 3D touch, it seems likely they won't have pencil support either, and if they don't have either, what's the fucking point of even producing them?  Why would I upgrade my iPad if all it offered was the typical half millimetre thickness difference and the slightly faster processor?  Spring is also far too soon for new case materials rumoured to be debuting on the next iPhone.  

If the iPad Air and the iPad mini don't get some kind of updated 3D Touch and/or pencil support, then there is no reason to have the Spring event at all.  
    "then there is no reason to have the Spring event at all."

Don't agree with that.  There's rumors of the next generation Apple Watch (Watch 2) and re-designed laptops (MBA / MBP), and possible introduction of an upgraded 4" iPhone (iPhone 6C).
  • Reply 24 of 51
    I'd love to see Pencil & Smart Connector support on the standard iPad. Also, I'd really like if they dropped the "Air" and just went to iPad. But yeah, a simple spec bump and thickness reduction are pretty trivial updates that to me do not warrant a whole new release. I do hope to be surprised by the folks at Cupertino this spring though!
  • Reply 25 of 51
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:

"then there is no reason to have the Spring event at all."

Don't agree with that.  There's rumors of the next generation Apple Watch (Watch 2) and re-designed laptops (MBA / MBP), and possible introduction of an upgraded 4" iPhone (iPhone 6C).
    Sorry, I meant in the context of everyone saying that there will be updated iPads at said event.  
    shameermulji
  • Reply 26 of 51
    I'd love to see Pencil & Smart Connector support on the standard iPad. Also, I'd really like if they dropped the "Air" and just went to iPad. But yeah, a simple spec bump and thickness reduction are pretty trivial updates that to me do not warrant a whole new release. I do hope to be surprised by the folks at Cupertino this spring though!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who is tired of their silly "Air" moniker.  It should have been retired right after the first generation MacBook Air IMO.  So tacky.  
  • Reply 27 of 51

satchmo said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    I would love this feature on the smaller iPad, but wondering if this might kill higher margin (?) iPad Pro sales. 

An iPad Air 3 would likely get a speed bump as well. So does size alone give an iPad a 'pro' moniker? 

Except for size the iPad "Pro" is actually pretty identical to the other iPads except for: 

- better speakers
    - pencil support

People will argue all kinds of other BS and Apple's description page mentions a lot of stuff that makes it sound all whiz-bang fancy, but the bottom line is simply better sound and pencil support.  Period.  

So if Apple "does the right thing" and brings pencil support to the other iPads, it kind of gets dicey to keep calling the iPad Pro a "pro" device.  This is the main thing driving arguments that Apple will actually do the "wrong thing" (the capitalist thing), and not bring pencil support to the other iPads.  

Personally, I think they simply have to bring pencil support to the other iPads and possibly even the iPhones as well.  To actively fuck-over the majority of their customers and force them to pay thousands of dollars for an oversized tablet just to have pencil support just won't work for very long.  They could keep it going for a year or two before people get upset being as they always get the benefit of the doubt, but what justification could they possibly have for keeping the pencil exclusive for longer than that?  
  • Reply 28 of 51
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    It will also help and encourage app developers if their work utilizing 3D touch could be put to use on more devices.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    mike1 said:
    It will also help and encourage app developers if their work utilizing 3D touch could be put to use on more devices.
    I can't speak for everybody else, but on my 6S Plus, I hardly use 3D Touch. Actually, most of the time I forget it's even there.  I think adding support for the Apple Pencil / Smart Connectors is more game changing.
    Prof_Peabody
  • Reply 30 of 51
    The so-called “iPad Air 3” will eschew 3D Touch…
    Apple has done this forever, and I’ve never been a fan of it. I realize that there can be “supply chain” problems or hardware power restrictions, but not every single time. I want 1:1 feature parity across all the lines of these things as soon as a new model is released. What does it say about Apple’s advertising of these things if they don’t even bother to include them in all their products?
  • Reply 31 of 51
    sog35 said:
    I'd guess probably not. That's what helps differentiate the Pro. Using that extra real estate to be the proper canvas. Just like the OIS remains in the Plus phone only. 

i doubt very much thats why only the Plus has OIS. i think its a physical space issue. the Plus is bigger and has more room for OIS.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

satchmo said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    I would love this feature on the smaller iPad, but wondering if this might kill higher margin (?) iPad Pro sales. 

An iPad Air 3 would likely get a speed bump as well. So does size alone give an iPad a 'pro' moniker? 

Except for size the iPad "Pro" is actually pretty identical to the other iPads except for: 

- better speakers
    - pencil support

People will argue all kinds of other BS and Apple's description page mentions a lot of stuff that makes it sound all whiz-bang fancy, but the bottom line is simply better sound and pencil support.  Period.  

So if Apple "does the right thing" and brings pencil support to the other iPads, it kind of gets dicey to keep calling the iPad Pro a "pro" device.  This is the main thing driving arguments that Apple will actually do the "wrong thing" (the capitalist thing), and not bring pencil support to the other iPads.  

Personally, I think they simply have to bring pencil support to the other iPads and possibly even the iPhones as well.  To actively fuck-over the majority of their customers and force them to pay thousands of dollars for an oversized tablet just to have pencil support just won't work for very long.  They could keep it going for a year or two before people get upset being as they always get the benefit of the doubt, but what justification could they possibly have for keeping the pencil exclusive for longer than that?  
    Yeah, Apple has mastered the fine art of incremental updates and spin. Given the slower sales over the past few quarters gives me hope, that Apple will bring pencil support to smaller iPads.
    Also with alternatives such as the Surface Pro3/4, Apple may add pen support in order to encourage developers to write for the iOS platform.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

satchmo said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:

- better speakers
    - pencil support

Yeah, Apple has mastered the fine art of incremental updates and spin. Given the slower sales over the past few quarters gives me hope, that Apple will bring pencil support to smaller iPads.
    Also with alternatives such as the Surface Pro3/4, Apple may add pen support in order to encourage developers to write for the iOS platform.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    satchmo said:

satchmo said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:

- better speakers
    - pencil support

By smaller iPads, I'm assuming you mean the 9.7" iPad.  Given that small-screen tablets are being cannibalized by big-screen smartphones, the iPad mini is dead man walking.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    evilution said:
    They can't just increase the speed and expect people to upgrade.
    so what do the laptop updates boil down to over the years? speed. but they dont expect normal people to upgrade their laptops annually, nor do i think they expect iPad users to upgrade annually. like with a laptop, you upgrade when you need to. naturally you'd expect your new iPad to be faster than whatever it is you're replacing.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    What about the mid-cycle iPhone? To me and a ton of other people, this is what we are waiting for. So many iPhone 4 and 5 holdouts for the next iteration. Apple better not be foolish and just strip it down. I want iPhone 6S specs, minus 3D touch, add mucho battery.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 37 of 51

- better speakers
    - pencil support

size and speed are certainly major points of the iPP. certainly more important to a pro-level device than speakers. its the size of the display that opens it up to new and better apps. and the blazing faster storage speed.
  • Reply 38 of 51

- better speakers
    - pencil support

size and speed are certainly major points of the iPP. certainly more important to a pro-level device than speakers. its the size of the display that opens it up to new and better apps. and the blazing faster storage speed.
    Your description, (being literally torn from the pages of Apple's own description of the product), is suspect to me.  

Sure, Apple is pushing the larger size and the storage, but I don't see any facts to support the idea that they really differentiate the product.  The faster lightning port will make a difference to photographers, but again, that will be present on the next iPad Air and iPad mini (unless Apple is crazy).  the bigger size might be easier to draw on at first, but the apps will all look exactly the same as they do on the other two sizes of iPad.  Even the iPad mini has split-screen multi-tasking etc. 
  • Reply 39 of 51
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    sog35 said:

This Kuo guy is a clown.  I could do his job.

1. say iPhone7 is coming out in Sept - wow what a shocker.
    2. say the iPad air 3 won't have force touch. No duh.  The much more expensive iPad Pro does not have force touch, why would the cheaper Air have it.

I agree with most that Pencil support, size of display and speed are the three main differentiators between the iPad and iPad pro.  However, I think we will eventually see some kind of pencil support across the iOS platform.  It's no coincidence that almost all iOS devices correlate to ISO physical paper sizes.  I can see why now that the pencil (and sylii in general) are going to become more popular.  Think of the iPhone 6S+ as the same screen size writing area a Field Notes notebook (or ISO B7).  The iPad Mini, iPad, and iPad Pro correlate to ISO C6, A5, A4 (respectively).  Obviously, these are approximate size correlations and I know Apple has many other factors as to why they choose the sizes they did, but i'd say these are more than just coincidences.  as the Pencil gets more and more support from other iOS devices, I think you'll see a lot more practical applications for pencil support, where drawing and annotating in real-scale to screen will be more crucial.  I know that's a "captain obvious" kind of thing but i can totally see this happening.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    satchmo said:

satchmo said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:

- better speakers
    - pencil support

By smaller iPads, I'm assuming you mean the 9.7" iPad.  Given that small-screen tablets are being cannibalized by big-screen smartphones, the iPad mini is dead man walking.
    Nah.  The iPad mini is far from "dead man walking."  If you look into the numbers even a little bit, it's one of the most popular iOS devices they sell and has a very ardent (and sometimes rabid) following.  Sales of the original mini outstripped those of the original iPad.  

iPad mini users are also far more likely to be serious "Post PC" users who use the iPad more for actual work, than just for watching porn in the toilet or whatever.  The meme of iPad mini being "eclipsed" or made redundant by a larger iPhone is definitely popular, but mostly among males, mostly among tech-heads and mostly among people who don't use an iPad as a serious computer.  It also has no actual facts to back it up.