Jeb Bush says Apple Watch not intuitive, knocks battery life in 'review'

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a recent interview with Business Insider, Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush shared his thoughts on Apple Watch, which he is often seen wearing on the campaign trail, and rattled off a few of his favorite apps.

Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush sporting a Space Black Apple Watch. | Source: Jeb Bush via Instagram

Conducted at a town hall address in Milford, N.H., the short session dealt only with Bush's take on recent Apple technology, specifically Apple Watch. Bush has been seen wearing the device at campaign stops, debates and other public venues.

"It requires a lot more work than it needs to," Bush said. "It's not as intuitive as the other Apple products. The battery gets out too quick, I don't have time to learn all the applications, but it's cool."

He went on to speculate that Apple will iron out the kinks with next-generation Watch models, making them more fully featured and easier to use. Despite its flaws, Bush plans to stick with Apple Watch -- or "iWatch" as he called it, referring to the name media outlets gave the device prior to its release -- for the foreseeable future.

"Until someone comes out with something better, I'll probably keep mine," Bush said.

On apps, presumably iOS titles considering Bush owns and uses an Apple Watch, the presidential hopeful named CBS Sports Fantasy first, a must-have for keeping tabs on his fantasy football team. He also named The Associated Press' AP Mobile app, Kayak for campaign trail traveling, Amazon's Kindle and The Wall Street Journal. In all, Bush has about 40 apps in regular rotation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm no fan of Bush, for obvious reasons, but is he wrong? I don't think so.

All he is stating is that the battery life is not yet good enough, and that future versions will improve, and in the meantime, he will keep using his current Apple Watch.
    jetpilotcornchipirelandbloggerblogallmypeoplesirdir
  • Reply 2 of 80
    Does anyone care what this clown has to say?  Perhaps he should be more concerned about his failing presidential campaign than critiquing the Apple Watch. I use my watch every day with zero issues and battery life is great. I don't get what's unintuitive to him. The only issue I have with my watch is it's too damn slow.
    IanMC2flashfan207bloggerblogapplepieguy
  • Reply 3 of 80
    Jeb! might need some kind of energy app for it as well, something to shock him. 
    IanMC2SpamSandwichredgeminipaapplepieguynostrathomas
  • Reply 4 of 80
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not sure why Business Insider felt that the Watch was the sort of thing they should be talking about with a presidential candidate, but I don't think Jeb is wrong about this.
    IanMC2jason leavitt
  • Reply 5 of 80
    I am no Jeb Bush fan, and my experience with the Watch is different, but c'mon guys, cut him some slack.

I'll bet he's like a lot of Watch users. And he's being honest. Leave it at that. 
    jetpilotjdwbrometheusirelandallmypeople
  • Reply 6 of 80
    And the tech world goes...

IanMC2realjustinlongSpamSandwichredgeminipabloggerblog
  • Reply 7 of 80
    oh yeah prehistoric bush family are very innovative. they have created lots of enemies for americans with their beliefs.
    IanMC2redgeminipaMacProdysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Single digits.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    apple ][ said:

All he is stating is that the battery life is not yet good enough, and that future versions will improve, and in the meantime, he will keep using his current Apple Watch.
    While I don't want a 3rd Bush as President, I'm far from a fan of OBAMA. He's a clown and clearly acts like one!!! Zero experience running anything. But having the Apple for for a couple weeks now, Battery Life has been great. From when I wake up to getting back in bed, I generally have 50% of the battery life left. That's acceptable to me. I don't mind charging it daily. I just stick it on the Watch stand charger I have that's next to my iPhone that I also have to charge daily. I don't want to wear it while sleeping. I also think it's pretty speedy for what it is. If you want FASTER, that'll drain the battery faster. How big of a watch do you want strapped on your wrist? I have the 42mm version. If you want long battery life, you have to have compromises. Which means something like a e-ink screen the pebble has. That's the watch for you but it also does a whole lot less. So there's pro's and con's. 3rd party Apps that have to load from the phone are slower, but built in are faster and that's still pretty new with the WatchOS 2.0+. That'll take more time. I'm really very happy with this watch and I'm not a watch person. I haven't worn one for years. I like it more then I thought I would. There's a lot of little things that I just love. For example Notifications. I can see when people come and go at my house as my Watch will let me know. When I'm streaming Amazon Prime Music, and wearing my bluetooth headset, I can just go on my watch on easily skip a song forward or go back, or pause, play. I don't have to get out my phone. My next appointment will pop up and display on my watch. That's really nice. Quick glance and see what the temp is currently. Seeing my Heart rate throughout the day is cool along with my activity for the day and cal burned. I really like the watch letting me know to get up every hour if I haven't been standing up for a hour. To let me know and just get up and move about for a minute is a good thing. It also helps keep me away early in the morning. It's all these many small things that really make the Apple Watch great. I have a number of watch bands that are quick and simple to swap out without using any tools. I don't know anyone personally with a Apple Watch, so I haven't done anything like send someone else by heart rate, or a drawing. I haven't played with Siri enough or really tried doing voice calls on it. I'm learning new things. Have year heard, You use your Desktop for Hours, your Smartphone for Minutes and your Smartwatch for Seconds. You really should only be on your Apple Watch for seconds. Not minutes playing some game!!! If the Apple Watch is not for your, maybe it's the Pebble. Or no Smart Watch. So far, it's won me over.
    rogifan_oldthepixeldocredgeminiparadarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 80
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    He is wrong, the battery life is LONG. HE is also a moron;
    apple ][ said:

What he said there is basically a publicity for Apple because people will just say, well Jeb could use it and he's an idiot, so I guess i can too...
    lolliverredgeminiparadarthekatbirkoMacProdysamoriaapplepieguystevenoz
  • Reply 11 of 80
    I am no Jeb Bush fan, and my experience with the Watch is different, but c'mon guys, cut him some slack.

I'll bet he's like a lot of Watch users. And he's being honest. Leave it at that. 
    He's lying about the battery, so NO SLACK. All the reviewers have no been able to kill the battery unless they played with it all day long the day they received it.
    I'm better that pinheads phone died quicker than his watch.
    nolamacguyapplepieguy
  • Reply 12 of 80
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Maybe Apple will release a Smart Battery Case for the watch with a hump on the side, or a Smart Battery Band with a hump on it for the battery, as a companion to the new iPhone case. ;-)

I tried to find a Photoshopped image of this, and you;don't believe a didn't find one! haha
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 13 of 80
    crowley said:
    Not sure why Business Insider felt that the Watch was the sort of thing they should be talking about with a presidential candidate, but I don't think Jeb is wrong about this.

He's wrong, 100 reviewers says so and I say so. Battery life is not short. So, mr. fat lips should shut his mouth and keep his lying for his own voters.
    nolamacguyapplepieguy
  • Reply 14 of 80
    I see this has made it to the front page of the Verge with comments allowed. Why am I not surprised. 
    ireland
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Jeb! all in on the Blackberry watch.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    foggyhill said:
    He's wrong, 100 reviewers says so and I say so. Battery life is not short. So, mr. fat lips should shut his mouth and keep his lying for his own voters.
    Right, and what exactly do you think he has to gain by lying about the Watch performance? 

He says he likes it and he's going to keep wearing it, and by all accounts upgrade to the next one. So I really don't see a reason for him to lie about it. Seems like he's giving his honest opinion. Maybe because he's confused about how to work it, he's got a lot of power draining things turned on; or he's perhaps got so many notifications happening during the day, and the day of a presidential candidate lagging in the polls is a lot longer than most, not to mention he gets a lot more notifications then most (probably including yourself), that it's draining his battery faster than most.
    gatorguyirelandradarthekatMacPro
  • Reply 17 of 80
    foggyhill said:
    crowley said:

He's just a confused man in general hence why he's like 3% in the polls and losing to that clown Donald Trump.
    applepieguy
  • Reply 18 of 80
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    He can't totally figure out how to use it and he wants to be president? Will Ferrell said it on SNL as G W Bush: "and I'm turning out to be the smart one"
    radarthekat
  • Reply 19 of 80
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    jbdragon said:
    apple ][ said:

While I don't want a 3rd Bush as President, I'm far from a fan of OBAMA. He's a clown and clearly acts like one!!! Zero experience running anything. But having the Apple for for a couple weeks now, Battery Life has been great. From when I wake up to getting back in bed, I generally have 50% of the battery life left. That's acceptable to me. I don't mind charging it daily. I just stick it on the Watch stand charger I have that's next to my iPhone that I also have to charge daily. I don't want to wear it while sleeping. I also think it's pretty speedy for what it is. If you want FASTER, that'll drain the battery faster. How big of a watch do you want strapped on your wrist? I have the 42mm version. If you want long battery life, you have to have compromises. Which means something like a e-ink screen the pebble has. That's the watch for you but it also does a whole lot less. So there's pro's and con's. 3rd party Apps that have to load from the phone are slower, but built in are faster and that's still pretty new with the WatchOS 2.0+. That'll take more time. I'm really very happy with this watch and I'm not a watch person. I haven't worn one for years. I like it more then I thought I would. There's a lot of little things that I just love. For example Notifications. I can see when people come and go at my house as my Watch will let me know. When I'm streaming Amazon Prime Music, and wearing my bluetooth headset, I can just go on my watch on easily skip a song forward or go back, or pause, play. I don't have to get out my phone. My next appointment will pop up and display on my watch. That's really nice. Quick glance and see what the temp is currently. Seeing my Heart rate throughout the day is cool along with my activity for the day and cal burned. I really like the watch letting me know to get up every hour if I haven't been standing up for a hour. To let me know and just get up and move about for a minute is a good thing. It also helps keep me away early in the morning. It's all these many small things that really make the Apple Watch great. I have a number of watch bands that are quick and simple to swap out without using any tools. I don't know anyone personally with a Apple Watch, so I haven't done anything like send someone else by heart rate, or a drawing. I haven't played with Siri enough or really tried doing voice calls on it. I'm learning new things. Have year heard, You use your Desktop for Hours, your Smartphone for Minutes and your Smartwatch for Seconds. You really should only be on your Apple Watch for seconds. Not minutes playing some game!!! If the Apple Watch is not for your, maybe it's the Pebble. Or no Smart Watch. So far, it's won me over.
    Did the alcohol kick in a few sentences from the end? ;)
  • Reply 20 of 80
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    He can't totally figure out how to use it and he wants to be president? Will Ferrell said it on SNL as G W Bush: "and I'm turning out to be the smart one"