New New Forums Feedback Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    crowley said:
    What's this new post approval thing?  Just got a message that a post would be displayed once it was approved.
    Sorry about that @crowley Got caught by the new spam filter. It's still learning -- something about that thread has been triggering it and I've been manually approving them all day. You have enough posts that I just set you to verified so you will bypass it in the future. I'm doing that for all people with over 100 post counts as they get caught by it.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jSnively said:
    crowley said:
    What's this new post approval thing?  Just got a message that a post would be displayed once it was approved.
    Sorry about that @crowley Got caught by the new spam filter. It's still learning -- something about that thread has been triggering it and I've been manually approving them all day. You have enough posts that I just set you to verified so you will bypass it in the future. I'm doing that for all people with over 100 post counts as they get caught by it.
    Wow, quick response. Thanks!
  • Reply 23 of 47
    2) the black message-headers on each post are very heavy. they also compete w/ the black header-bar on the top. IMO the message-headers should be lighter.
    I love the color they picked as the site flavor, so how about this? I just doubled its brightness. It’s not as heavy, but it maintains the blue-grey feel of the thing. The same would apply, I imagine, to the Quote & Reply button and the background of the image selection dropdown (though we can drag and drop images now, so few people may see it).

this is better. its less weighty than the very-top header. and when looking at a bunch of them on a big monitor, the lighter/brighter shade is easier to scan.
  • Reply 24 of 47

jSnively said:
    3) mousing-over the Like/Dislike count should popup a list of who voted that way.
    I like this suggestion, even if it doesn't translate to mobile. We had a few threads where people felt it was unnecessary to see the likes... maybe just a text list with the first few and ' and x others'? I will see what I can do. Not being able to see your own counts may be a bug.

wait -- so everything on the desktop site must correspond to the mobile site? uh, thats an usual way to design. design for your target platform. if I'm on desktop, its desktop, not mobile.

as for likes -- no, it is *not* necessary to see the names of the Likes by default. that takes up space. thats not a common need, so my suggestion is put them in a mouse-over div that only renders when you mouse over the Like/Dislike counts. this is exactly what Disqus does, solved problem.
    edited December 2015 argonaut
  • Reply 25 of 47
    jSnively said:
    zoso4 said:
    I use TapaTalk. I can't get logged in. On Twitter it said to change my password, so I did. Now I can't log in on TapaTalk. Do I just need to wait a while, or what? 
    I have no idea what TapaTalk is. I will install it and check it out, It may just be that it has saved a cookie or password or something?

nolamacguy said:

3) mousing-over the Like/Dislike count should popup a list of who voted that way.
    4) i don't seem able to see the Like/Dislike counts on my own posts.
    I like this suggestion, even if it doesn't translate to mobile. We had a few threads where people felt it was unnecessary to see the likes... maybe just a text list with the first few and ' and x others'? I will see what I can do. Not being able to see your own counts may be a bug.

Need a cancel button when commenting. 
    What would you expect the behavior of the cancel button to be? Just clear the input field?

As for the color, right now we're "on brand", so I don't know if we will update that right away. @kasper and I have meetings this week about modernizing the site a bit more sometime in the new year. @kasper has mentioned multiple times that he finds the dark blue too close to black, so I would expect that to be addressed at some point, I just don't know when exactly that may be. 
    There have been several occasion in iI was editing an OP's post and deleted too much. I'm often left with a blank grey dialogue box that I can't get rid of. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 26 of 47
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Doesn't show when the last post was made. Have to open threads to find out.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    And if I try to edit previous posts the cursor stays stuck in the previous posters box. I can't move it into the white area in which I'm supposed to write in. 
  • Reply 28 of 47
    mactac said:
    It's the far right column on both the category and discussion pages. I suppose we could expand the date to be full w/ timestamp instead of short.

There have been several occasion in iI was editing an OP's post and deleted too much. I'm often left with a blank grey dialogue box that I can't get rid of. 
    Are you using any sort of esoteric input? A backspace or delete keypress inside any of the grey quote boxes in the WYSIWYG editor should clear them.

And if I try to edit previous posts the cursor stays stuck in the previous posters box. I can't move it into the white area in which I'm supposed to write in. 
    I can't say I've seen this behavior, can you provide some more details?

wait -- so everything on the desktop site must correspond to the mobile site? uh, thats an usual way to design. design for your target platform. if I'm on desktop, its desktop, not mobile.

as for likes -- no, it is *not* necessary to see the names of the Likes by default. that takes up space. thats not a common need, so my suggestion is put them in a mouse-over div that only renders when you mouse over the Like/Dislike counts. this is exactly what Disqus does, solved problem.
    No, and that's not what I said. I was suggesting there was maybe a better way to address it than inside of a popup, which is inherently user unfriendly on mobile. Ideally we would like to keep the functionality in-sync without having to split the two. Ideally.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 29 of 47
    jSnively said:
    I’ve had that happen before. Also, I left the OTHER error he mentioned as an example; I simply deleted the nested quote (which I have turned off, so it shouldn’t be quoting at all…) and I’m left with an empty quote <div>. It can be deleted by starting your deletion from the beginning of “I can’t say…” but then you have to return once or twice to get it away from the “said:”.

But yeah, plenty of times with Huddler (and already once or twice here) you can delete text and get yourself in a position where you can’t click outside the quoted portion of a post into where you’re supposed to type. You have to switch to HTML view, scroll to the place you want the text, and insert some nonsense (or what have you). Once you have some text in the white area, you can switch back and be able to select it again.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 30 of 47
    jSnively said:
    mactac said:
    It's the far right column on both the category and discussion pages. I suppose we could expand the date to be full w/ timestamp instead of short.

Are you using any sort of esoteric input? A backspace or delete keypress inside any of the grey quote boxes in the WYSIWYG editor should clear them.

No, and that's not what I said. I was suggesting there was maybe a better way to address it than inside of a popup, which is inherently user unfriendly on mobile. Ideally we would like to keep the functionality in-sync without having to split the two. Ideally.
    I'm usually on mobile using the SwiftKey keyboard. Others have verified this same problem on another thread. 
  • Reply 31 of 47
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    The "Recent Discussions" page does not sort properly on posting date, or does not update the posting date properly. Right now, for example, the most recent thread is timestamped November 25, even though the most recent post (correct author shown) was made at 6 pm today.

Edit: - and note that this post is timestamped December 13 on the Discussions page, but it is December 16.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 32 of 47
    muppetry said:
    The "Recent Discussions" page does not sort properly on posting date, or does not update the posting date properly. Right now, for example, the most recent thread is timestamped November 25, even though the most recent post (correct author shown) was made at 6 pm today.

Edit: - and note that this post is timestamped December 13 on the Discussions page, but it is December 16.
    Your right these post dates are incorrect and they shouldn't be. Looking into that this morning.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    jSnively said:
    muppetry said:

Your right these post dates are incorrect and they shouldn't be. Looking into that this morning.
    This should be fixed in a minute or two when the server syncs.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Also Quote folding should be fixed (rejoice mobile users!). It will respect your max quote depth in both posts and when you quote a post.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Speaking of "quotes" (of a different kind), will the stock ticker be reintegrated?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    There no longer seems to be any way to identify, in the "Discussions" list, those threads in which one has posted, or to call up a list of just those threads. Hard to keep up with conversations as a result.

And how does one bookmark anything? I must be missing something obvious.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    On the new site, since the original discussion for it was closed:

NOW THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT.

Heck yes, this looks nice. I don’t know why they didn’t just push this initially, but it’s very pretty now. Super clean! Boxes, delineating colors, all the information we like to see about users… and visible avatars now, so hey!

Not jazzed about the 4 hour edits, but I understand why, in some cases, limited editing makes sense. And the new post and quoting formatting will take a while to get used to (is multiquote still somewhere?), but the image uploading UI/X is sure better than Huddler’s.

Props, guys. I’m one of the few who thought Huddler was better than vBulletin (come on; it was certainly better than vBulletin 3), and I’m liking this better than Huddler.

EDIT: Now just to figure out how to get my 132 inbox messages (read: every conversation I’ve ever been sent) marked as read so that I can tell when someone messages me in the future.  :p
    No way !!  Huddler was absolutely awful!

Most people here started to complain about UX and UI, but most of these can be easily changed and mods. The new system loads much quicker, the text and input, image handling is many times better.  You can literally feels how the underlying software is better on the surface.

BTW, it is based on Discourse? If it is, then it is certainly one of the best Discourse mod out there.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I think that we should get rid of the dislike button. In any forum where I have seen dislike options, the disliking escalated. A like button is like applause. Or saying "I agree and have no need to comment myself, since you put it so well".

A dislike button is like booing. People get more upset by negative feedback than positive feedback. If you don't like a post reply. If you do, and don't feel the need to reply, thank or like. 
  • Reply 39 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    crowley said:
    I bet its down to the number of dislikes one receives etc. 

I understand why this might be useful for trolls, but not for users with high post counts. 
  • Reply 40 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    asdasd said:
    I think that we should get rid of the dislike button. In any forum where I have seen dislike options, the disliking escalated. A like button is like applause. Or saying "I agree and have no need to comment myself, since you put it so well".

A dislike button is like booing. People get more upset by negative feedback than positive feedback. If you don't like a post reply. If you do, and don't feel the need to reply, thank or like. 
    I think restricting a site to "thumbs up" only is intellectually dishonest. Yes, it's easier for trolls or harassers to pile on to unpopular commenters, but it all comes out in the wash. As far as I've seen here, no one has been banned or restricted based on the number of "Dislikes".