IBM hits 100 MobileFirst iOS apps for enterprise, plans iPad Pro development

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2015
IBM on Wednesday announced its 100th MobileFirst iOS app developed in conjunction with Apple, while also promising to develop for Apple's latest iOS device, the iPad Pro.

The company didn't identify the app that pushed it into the triple digits, preferring instead to highlight various clients like Air Canada, Coca-Cola Amatil, Vodafone Netherlands, and the Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank. MobileFirst products are now said to span 14 industries and 65 professions.

IBM is "currently developing" apps for the iPad Pro, a press release said. the company didn't offer many details, but promised to exploit the tablet's better performance and screen size, as well as iOS 9 multitasking.

It did suggest however that some apps will make use of the Apple Pencil, for instance letting someone design a room, log transactions, or annotate maintenance logs.

Much of Apple's marketing for the Pro has involved targeting the device at businesses and professionals, particularly through accessories like the Pencil and the Smart Keyboard. Indeed, before the tablet shipped the company was demonstrating it at Disney and Pixar, which have close corporate ties with Apple.

The MobileFirst partnership first arose in July 2014. Since then IBM and Apple have become closer in other ways as well, with IBM adopting MacBooks and Apple Watches for its workers, and developing the Swift Sandbox, which lets people try out Apple's Swift programming language via a Web browser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Genius move on Cook's part.
    gregoriusmphone-ui-guy
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I've had the iPad Pro for about a week now. Just fabulous. (Still an annoying wait for the pencil and keyboard, though.)

It's weird how the iPad Air now feels small...
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I've had the iPad Pro for about a week now. Just fabulous. (Still an annoying wait for the pencil and keyboard, though.)

You can buy a Pencil on eBay for not too much a premium -- then you'll have a spare.

It really makes a difference.
  • Reply 4 of 7

Mmm ...

100 mobile apps (with server backends) in less than 6 months ... using a language (Swift) going through major changes ... using Development Tools in a state of flux ... running on OSes (iOS and OS X) with significant upgrades ...

I wonder just how many developers IBM has working on Mobile First.

As a side note, when I worked for IBM Development in 1969-1970, I did  the following  CPS/PERT/POP study:

How long would it take for IBM to release an application program that:
    1. contained 1 line of code
    2. had 1 sentence of documentation
    3. both of the above were already complete
    The minimum time to navigate all the required reviews and schedules was 18 months.

I then did a follow-on study to determine how the process could be expedited ... 

Turned out that most of individual activities could be shortened if the party involved received their input a week or two earlier than planned initially.

When the original CPS/PERT/POP chart was updated to reflect the changes, the minimum time increased to 20 months.

This gave rise to The Second Law Of IBM Application Development:

Expediting
    takes a Little Longer!
    cnocbuilarryjwmacky the mackybestkeptsecret
  • Reply 5 of 7
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Isn't the home screen a little bit odd with just the row of icons?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    clemynx said:

I hear this a lot.

How long do people spend staring at the home screen?
    fastasleepbestkeptsecretchia
  • Reply 7 of 7
    clemynx said:

I hear this a lot.

How long do people spend staring at the home screen?
    People who want an exposed file system in iOS so they can scatter all their documents on the desktop.