Google's Project Fi comes to data-only devices, including Apple's iPad Air 2 & iPad mini 4

Posted:
in iPad
Google's low-cost carrier service, Project Fi, is now available for a select range of data-only devices, specifically tablets including the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4.

People who are already activated on Fi can order data-only SIMs for the service, up to a limit of nine per account. Aside from iPads, other officially supported devices include the Nexus 7, Nexus 9, and Galaxy Tab S. Unconfirmed accounts suggest that the SIMs may work with other products, like the iPad mini 2.

Tablets share in the same data pool as smartphones, with a fee of $10 per gigabyte, but to keep bandwidth under control Fi's data metering tools let subscribers see a per-device breakdown. Unlike phones, tethering is banned for data-only hardware.

Google is promising varying levels of coverage in over 120 countries, although people can still only sign up for the service in the U.S. via an invite system.

Until this week, Project Fi was restricted to a handful of Google smartphones including the Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5X. The service's main advantage is that it costs just $20 per month before data fees, with unlimited voice and texting, and any data that goes unused results in a 1-cent credit per megabyte. A person paying for 2 gigabytes who only uses 1 gigabyte, for instance, will get $10 back.

The service preferentially connects to Wi-Fi, but when out of range connects to Sprint and T-Mobile's networks or else various 3G networks outside the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I have to give Google credit, this actually has the potential to do what everyone thought Apple would do with the iPhone, which is to actually change the mobile marketplace so as to benefit the users instead of just the corporations.   Apple, with all their fancy devices have done nothing to break the stranglehold cell providers have over us.  Nothing to lower data prices to a reasonable level.  
  • Reply 2 of 9
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    I have to give Google credit, this actually has the potential to do what everyone thought Apple would do with the iPhone, which is to actually change the mobile marketplace so as to benefit the users instead of just the corporations.   Apple, with all their fancy devices have done nothing to break the stranglehold cell providers have over us.  Nothing to lower data prices to a reasonable level.  
    That's exactly what Apple did. Unlimited data on AT&T, no contract phones with no carrier baggage, logos, malware, software update limbo, model fragmentation...

You're thinking of Google, who kowtows to the carriers. That's why they are doing this and Apple doesn't have to. Apple created the Apple SIM so that you can choose and switch carriers even more easily.
    jgoryebIanMC2redgeminipadaven
  • Reply 3 of 9
    This improves on the App SIM method in that your phone (now devices, too) will be enrolled on two carriers and will use the stronger one. You'll be billed for a single plan and don't need to track which carrier you happen to be using. If they make it available for iPhones I'm going to have to give some deep consideration.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    This is a good deal in USA where carrier prices are very high, and maybe I'll be able to use it in USA when I'm there.  In UK it's a very different story.  I pay £7:50 a month for 1 GB data and more minutes than I can use.  
  • Reply 5 of 9
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    This improves on the App SIM method in that your phone (now devices, too) will be enrolled on two carriers and will use the stronger one. You'll be billed for a single plan and don't need to track which carrier you happen to be using. If they make it available for iPhones I'm going to have to give some deep consideration.
    This has the same issue that I would never use a Google phone. This is just another way they can trick customers into giving them full access to their data, buried in pages and pages the user agreement. I'm good. 

redgeminipadaven
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I have been using Project Fi for about a month now and i like it my bill is $33 dollars I still have my iPhone 6 with Verizon but come Jan 15 Verizon will get no more of my money.I get good coverage i use Android Pay works just like Apple Pay very happy with the service.

• Reply 7 of 9
    mojorisin said:
    I have been using Project Fi for about a month now and i like it my bill is $33 dollars I still have my iPhone 6 with Verizon but come Jan 15 Verizon will get no more of my money.I get good coverage i use Android Pay works just like Apple Pay very happy with the service.

You can keep it. I pay $45 for unlimited EVERYTHING with Sprint. Furthermore, Android Pay isn't like ApplePay. ApplePay is far more secure. I wouldn't trust Google with my credit card information, especially with how weak Android's security is. I also don't need the Goog selling my credit card spending habits to advertisers as a means of revenue. I will NOT be a product that Google can sell.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Sprint sucks and Sprint sucks on Fi to 95% of the time i am on t mobile or wifi so it works for me i don't unlimited EVERYTHING. and one more thing Sprint sucks
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mojorisin said:

You can keep it. I pay $45 for unlimited EVERYTHING with Sprint. Furthermore, Android Pay isn't like ApplePay. ApplePay is far more secure. I wouldn't trust Google with my credit card information, especially with how weak Android's security is. I also don't need the Goog selling my credit card spending habits to advertisers as a means of revenue. I will NOT be a product that Google can sell.
    While anyone should be able to appreciate the reasons you've chosen Apple's ecosystem, mobile payment security shouldn't be one of them.  As it stands Apple Pay and Android Pay are nearly twins. You should read up on them and compare if you doubt that. 

On a related note Apple may not be able to continue taking a cut of payments, .15% of the transaction fee,  when their current contracts begin expiring less than two years from now. Why? The industry has standardized on Visa tokenization in the meantime, so Apple won't be offering any advantage in the transaction process over any other payment platform. That's why Google doesn't get a part of the fees. When Apple Pay was first introduced the standard was still in flux, but no longer so banks may insist the Apple feature should be free too from their perspective when it's time to renew.  If so both services may eventually be looking for ways to at least partially fund the costs of their mobile pay platforms but neither will be selling CC spending habits to advertisers to do so. 
    edited December 2015