RBC cuts Apple price target to $140, cites concerns over supply chain data

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    sog35 said:
    2old4fun said:
    Tim Cook is doing what he is supposed to be doing, running Apple. It is not his job to run Wall Street or analysts or the media. Mr. Cook is doing fine at his job, managing the long term functions of Apple, not the daily noise of the media.
    WRONG.

Part of his job is to not allow the Apple Brand to be crapped on. Weak sales is a sign of a weaking brand.

Do you think the CEO of Whole Foods would allow rumors and lies about their product to continue to fester?
    If there were lies about Whole Foods product having salmonella the Whole Foods CEO would address it IMMEDIATELY.
    ok you're just being ridiculous. An analyst claiming sales are soft is not equivalent to someone saying the food you're selling will make people sick. Apple has never commented on supply chain rumors outside of earnings calls and they're not going to now. Tim Cook has already said focusing on supply chain rumors is nonsense but Wall Street does it anyway. There's nothing he can do about that. He needs to focus on running he company not obsessing over the stock price.
    magman1979singularity
  • Reply 22 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    sog35 said:
    2old4fun said:
    Tim Cook is doing what he is supposed to be doing, running Apple. It is not his job to run Wall Street or analysts or the media. Mr. Cook is doing fine at his job, managing the long term functions of Apple, not the daily noise of the media.
    WRONG.

Part of his job is to not allow the Apple Brand to be crapped on. Weak sales is a sign of a weaking brand.

Do you think the CEO of Whole Foods would allow rumors and lies about their product to continue to fester?
    If there were lies about Whole Foods product having salmonella the Whole Foods CEO would address it IMMEDIATELY.
    Sog, 100% honest question: Why are you invested in Apple? It obviously doesn't perform in the manner you wish it did (and if wishes were fishes as my mama used to say) and there are certainly stocks out there that offer more immediate gratification if that's your goal. Buying their products is one thing, it adds to Apple's bottom line in tiny bits,  but committing to their stock and complaining on a daily basis about it doesn't sound sensical. Apple makes no more and no less profit if their stock price wavers so you're not being "unfaithful" by not owning Apple stock.  Is there something else to it that keeps you invested yet on edge about it? 
    edited December 2015 fastasleepsingularity
  • Reply 23 of 54
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    sog35 said:
    2old4fun said:
    WRONG.

You are so full of shit it isn't even funny.  Sell your damn stock and go elsewhere.  
    singularity
  • Reply 24 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    scottw2 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    So sick of hearing these analysts.  They are simply getting attention and/or driving the market.  That's the way this works...it's like the move Wall Street.  
    I think Tim Cook and Apple management shares the blame as they did nothing to counter the analysts' negativity. On August 24, Apple stock briefly dropped below $92 before Tim Cook sent an email to Crammer saying , essentially, "China is fine". Apple closed the day at $103. He could have done the same thing, saying something to the tune of "please don't look into our supply chain. The iPhone is doing fine". However, he elected not to do so and allow these analysts to control the narrative.
    I assume Tim buys back AAPL when these morons damage AAPL values with their manipulations so not all bad for Apple.  However, Tim I assume, has to be careful not to risk the ire of the SEC himself by saying things that do the same, even if in the right direction.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:

You are so full of shit it isn't even funny.  Sell your damn stock and go elsewhere.  
    As an Apple shareholder I have the right to criticize the CEO.  He works for me.

If people sold their stock every time the CEO disappointed them, no one would make money.  CEO's make mistakes all the time. Does not mean you give up on the company. 
    If I no longer like the taste of an Outback steak (even if I used to) I don't keep buying one. I give up on it and eat steak someplace else. 
    edited December 2015 singularity
  • Reply 26 of 54
    sog35 said:
    2old4fun said:
    WRONG.

Well, to be fair, nobody has the chance of dying because of salmonella with Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:

As an Apple shareholder I have the right to criticize the CEO.  He works for me.

If people sold their stock every time the CEO disappointed them, no one would make money.  CEO's make mistakes all the time. Does not mean you give up on the company. 
    If I no longer like the taste of an Outback steak (even if I used to) I don't keep buying one. I give up on it and eat steak someplace else. 
    Very germane to the topic ...  LOL, funny you say that, I've found I've gone off them and prefer Carrabba's now.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 28 of 54
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:

You need to take out the emotions when investing. Pretty much the first rule you should learn. Obviously you missed that part. 
    magman1979singularity
  • Reply 29 of 54
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:

Very germane to the topic ...  LOL, funny you say that, I've found I've gone off them and prefer Carrabba's now.
    Which is also owned by the Outback corporation.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 30 of 54
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:

Yes I used them in the comparison for that same reason. Ate there for the first time in over a year this past weekend. Not good at all. Carrabba's on the other hand is just the opposite. While it tends to be a bit noisy it's still quite relaxed and the food is very good for the price. Some of the better seafood dishes I've eaten at any Italian-themed restaurant. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 31 of 54
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:

Yes I used them in the comparison for that same reason. Ate there for the first time in over a year this past weekend. Not good at all. Carrabba's on the other hand is just the opposite. While it tends to be a bit noisy it's still quite relaxed and the food is very good for the price. Some of the better seafood dishes I've eaten at any Italian-themed restaurant. 
    We are just back from a European trip including four days in Italy and I'd add Carrabba's is better than most restaurant we ate at there too (in fact 'any' we ate at, but that's not fair given we were only there for a few days).  Pretty staggering!
  • Reply 32 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    No mention that Wall Street's estimates are based on fairy dust and unicorn tears? 
  • Reply 33 of 54
    scottw2 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    So sick of hearing these analysts.  They are simply getting attention and/or driving the market.  That's the way this works...it's like the move Wall Street.  
    I think Tim Cook and Apple management shares the blame as they did nothing to counter the analysts' negativity. On August 24, Apple stock briefly dropped below $92 before Tim Cook sent an email to Crammer saying , essentially, "China is fine". Apple closed the day at $103. He could have done the same thing, saying something to the tune of "please don't look into our supply chain. The iPhone is doing fine". However, he elected not to do so and allow these analysts to control the narrative.
    Apple still has a good amount of buyback of their stock to do. It's a win either way for them. Stock goes up, investors are happy. Stock goes down, they can buy back on the cheap.
    magman1979
  • Reply 34 of 54
    I have a lot (6 figures worth) or AAPL stock and this blatant market manipulation really gets me pissed off because they're messing with part of my retirement fund. But it's been going on like this for over 20 years and I don't expect to see it stop any time soon, so I just try to chill and take the long view. If I ever suspect that the stock is well and truly in trouble, then I'll probably sell my shares. But in the mean time, I just hope they let it go above $120.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple shouldn't respond to these rumors. If they did, they'd set a precedent and more crap would come out that Apple would be expected to comment on. 
    edited December 2015 magman1979Dan Andersen
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Apple needs to fire Tim Cook and go private!

Screw Wall Street!

Am I doing it right? Is that enough outrage or should I have used all caps? Maybe I should toss in an "Apple is DOOOMED!" just for good measure.

Just in case no one gets it, I am making a joke.

Everything is going to be fine @sog35  especially if you are in it for the long haul. Barring a nuclear winter, asteroid, zombie apocalypse, or a land war in Asia (Princess Bride anyone?), Apple will be healthy and around for many many decades. If anything you should see these dips in price as an opportunity to snap up a few shares here and there.

Just because AAPL goes down does not mean you lost thousands of dollars unless you bought high and sold low. But if you are buying and holding, which it sounds like you are, I say buy some more right about now and be happy about it. It will pay off in dividends and when the stock strikes at $200 in a few years you will be happy you bought some today at $110.*

*Past performance does not guarantee future results. Invest at your own risk. I am not Jim Cramer but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night and play a doctor on TV.
    edited December 2015 fastasleepsingularity
  • Reply 37 of 54
    genovelle said:
    scottw2 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Unfortunately, he has to walk a fine line when it comes to such comments outside of quarterly statements. If you go back to that period and look at Cook's interviews he kept saying they were happy with opportunities in China. These guys know the laws let them say anything while even the "China is fine" was considered a possible violation. 

Thank you!
  • Reply 38 of 54
    sog35 said:
    jungmark said:
    Apple shouldn't respond to these rumors. If they did, they'd set a precedent and more crap would come out that Apple would be expected to comment on. 
    But these are not RUMORS.

These are flatout LIES that are being masked as FACTS.  Thats the difference.  These are the worlds biggest investment banks stating that iPhone will have weak sales based on supply chain.
    What?? What lies? All the analysts weighing in are offering projections based on what available facts they have, and those numbers are coming from known Apple suppliers. Those are the same type of facts they used to project increased iPhone sales in previous quarters, where BTW they've been reasonably accurate average-wise in the recent past as I recall. They aren't saying the sales WILL be lower, but instead what their guess is based on what they can see. 
    edited December 2015 fastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 54
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I would think that the analysts may be paying such attention to supply chain rumours because of the overall economic outlook for China at the moment.  Apple usually operates in it's very own twilight zone when it comes to iPhone sales vs underlying economic conditions so they probably gave Apple sales in China the benefit of what for any other company would be doubt, until this supple chain data came out, possibly indicating that the significant downturn in China actually might be impacting sales, uncharacteristically.

I think someone around here is so heavily invested emotionally in Apple, they can't objectively process all the data.  Saying you are overweight in Apple and then on at least two or three subsequent occasions saying you have just bought significantly more is a bit puzzling.  Complaining about endemic stock manipulation and then announcing you have bought calls for a 10:1 payout if Apple reaches $150 is incomprehensible to me.  The dice are obviously loaded, think I fancy my chances...
  • Reply 40 of 54
    sog35 said:

My largest position is in Apple.  I've been holding it for 3+ years.  So if Apple has a bad year it does cost me several thousands.
    No disrespect, but if you get this upset and emotional over several thousands, not sure that more money either in your hands or at the hands of your investments will be "healthy" for you. Some of us feel the pain in the hundreds of thousands.

What bothers me is that your semi-sensible conversation has turned into howling and whining which is not only upsetting us neighbors but is also riling up the other junkyard dogs. Would appreciate it if you would find another way to express your anxiety.

I think it's bad precedence for Tim to go to media in response to these particular analyst remarks.
    Tim is doing a fine job.
    And maybe Tim is not disturbed about the fluctuation of stock price (for now), he has billions waiting to buyback shares at lowish prices.