Apple names Jeff Williams new chief operating officer, places Phil Schiller in charge of App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Hmm...is this a bit of a demotion for Eddy Cue or just a recognition he had too much on his plate?
    Eddy Cue absolutely wasn't demoted. Eddy Cue is Apple's clean up man and general fixer. He covers everything when problems occur. He picks up the slack when Apple loses someone. He does the big time negotiations - such as with movie companies, music companies, etc. Eddy is a core and supremely valued executive at Apple. He is clearly the 4th most valuable executive: TIm, Jonathan, Jeff and Eddy. Eddy, however, also clearly has too much on his plate. Handing off the App Store to Phil is an easy side-move for this service.
    I think it's good App Store is going under one person and since Schiller already had developer relations this makes sense. Maybe this isn't a demotion for Cue but it certainly is a recognition that things were slipping and perhaps he had too much on his plate. I still think the top dogs at Apple (aside from Cook) are Williams, Ive and Schiller and maybe Cue in 4th place.
    Honestly, Cue does not seem to make a lot of good moves and they need to transition him to a lesser role. Music has been a mess. Negotiations with music and movies have been slow and messy. Cue should inch toward retirement.
    Everyone says Cue is the "fixer" at Apple but what does he actually fix? I don't see a ton of improvements with the stuff under his domain. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Hmm...is this a bit of a demotion for Eddy Cue or just a recognition he had too much on his plate?
    Eddy Cue absolutely wasn't demoted. Eddy Cue is Apple's clean up man and general fixer. He covers everything when problems occur. He picks up the slack when Apple loses someone. He does the big time negotiations - such as with movie companies, music companies, etc. Eddy is a core and supremely valued executive at Apple. He is clearly the 4th most valuable executive: TIm, Jonathan, Jeff and Eddy. Eddy, however, also clearly has too much on his plate. Handing off the App Store to Phil is an easy side-move for this service.
    I think it's good App Store is going under one person and since Schiller already had developer relations this makes sense. Maybe this isn't a demotion for Cue but it certainly is a recognition that things were slipping and perhaps he had too much on his plate. I still think the top dogs at Apple (aside from Cook) are Williams, Ive and Schiller and maybe Cue in 4th place.
    Honestly, Cue does not seem to make a lot of good moves and they need to transition him to a lesser role. Music has been a mess. Negotiations with music and movies have been slow and messy. Cue should inch toward retirement.
    Everyone says Cue is the "fixer" at Apple but what does he actually fix? I don't see a ton of improvements with the stuff under his domain. 
    He has made a few missteps this year, definitely.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 49
    I don't understand why Phill Schiller got additional responsibilities of the App Store? 
  • Reply 24 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    tmay said:
    flaneur said:
    First job of Marketing Communications is to get rid of terms like "marcom." And "customer sat" while you're at it.

Language involves aesthetics as much as products or images. Which reminds me, maybe get someone besides Lake Bell to do voiceover in iPhone ads. Someone without that smartass vocal fry.
    Lake's choice for a voiceover might have connection to one of Lake's films that she wrote, directed, and starred in;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294677/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I know that movie, and I had high hopes for it, since she was going after the "sexy-baby voice" used by too many American women. That's the other scourge besides vocal fry that makes this a tough period for American speech.

But the movie was missing some production design at the top, and so it became a long and obnoxious selfie for Lake Bell. Interesting that she didn't develop her vocal fry affliction till later.

Anyway, Apple should be steering clear of these temporary rhetorical viruses. They're as degrading as Flapper speech, e.g., Betty Boop, was in the 1920s.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Did Jeff Williams oversee supply chain of Apple Pencil?  Cuz... not happy with the 5 - 6 week delay at all retailers, causing us to miss Christmas.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    this constant narrative about how apple execs are teetering on the brink of failure and firing...it's almost like you cheer for executive demise. over and over...
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Next up, changes to the BoD.  With Angela Ahrendts among the senior execs, do we still need Andrea Jung, who pretty much destroyed Avon, on the board?  And what exactly does Al Gore do on the board that Lisa Jackson can't cover from inside the company?
    Al Gore's role is focused somewhere up the road many years, maybe decades ahead. He's an unusual man of public affairs for that.

Examples: the climate change issue he first made a publicized issue has just now come into focus as a global project, even for enough policy people in the backward US to make a difference. Or second, the Earth observatory satellite he first proposed in the 90s finally launched and became oprational this year:

http://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov

For all we know, Apple's most popular and profitable channel on ATV in 2021 will be a real-time stereo 3D view of the earth, zoomable to your own particular eroding shoreline.

More immediately, Apple's renewable energy program may need wheels greased globally that we don't know about. Who has more international credibility than the guy who should have been president and who would have laughed at the neocons' plan . . . well, never mind.

nolamacguycali
  • Reply 28 of 49
    The App stores are eternally doomed, because the "fix" for the App stores is mostly about removing all the shit and crud, the Apps that aren't really Apps, the copycat stuff and the advertisements and other garbage. However, these are the very things that make the App store numbers look good to reviewers and developers and that allow Apple to advertise the store as the "biggest and best," therefore they can't be changed, therefore the App store will always be a sea of poorly defined crap that is impossible to navigate and dispiriting to contemplate.
  • Reply 29 of 49

With this new marketing VP hire reporting directly to Cook, Cook now has 18 direct reports (not including admin assistants or other people we don't know about). Doesn't that seem a bit high for a CEO?
    gosh i hope he'll be able to keep managing it as well as he has been!
  • Reply 30 of 49
    I don't understand why Phill Schiller got additional responsibilities of the App Store? 
    probably because we weren't in on the meetings they had about it.
  • Reply 31 of 49

Did Jeff Williams oversee supply chain of Apple Pencil?  Cuz... not happy with the 5 - 6 week delay at all retailers, causing us to miss Christmas.
    head of supply chain doesnt mean personally working in the factories to make more faster.
  • Reply 32 of 49

The App stores are eternally doomed, because the "fix" for the App stores is mostly about removing all the shit and crud, the Apps that aren't really Apps, the copycat stuff and the advertisements and other garbage. However, these are the very things that make the App store numbers look good to reviewers and developers and that allow Apple to advertise the store as the "biggest and best," therefore they can't be changed, therefore the App store will always be a sea of poorly defined crap that is impossible to navigate and dispiriting to contemplate.
    if that were true, how come the other platform app stores aren't likewise filled with clones & garbage? hmmm. 
  • Reply 33 of 49

With this new marketing VP hire reporting directly to Cook, Cook now has 18 direct reports (not including admin assistants or other people we don't know about). Doesn't that seem a bit high for a CEO?
    It is a bit curious that this new marketing guy will be reporting directly to Cook and not Schiller. 
  • Reply 34 of 49

It is a bit curious that this new marketing guy will be reporting directly to Cook and not Schiller. 
    Maybe Schiller has a lot on his plate too
  • Reply 35 of 49

Maybe Schiller has a lot on his plate too
    Right but that's why you hire someone like this. If Phil is head of marketing why is an advertising VP reporting directly to Tim Cook?
  • Reply 36 of 49
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    flaneur said:
    First job of Marketing Communications is to get rid of terms like "marcom." And "customer sat" while you're at it.

Language involves aesthetics as much as products or images. Which reminds me, maybe get someone besides Lake Bell to do voiceover in iPhone ads. Someone without that smartass vocal fry.
    I love Lake Bell, vocal fry or not.  And I used to work with many voice-over actors back in the days when I was a recording engineer/producer.  
  • Reply 37 of 49

if that were true, how come the other platform app stores aren't likewise filled with clones & garbage? hmmm. 
    To be fair, @Prof_Peabody didn't specifically say the Apple App Store.

I read that comment by Peabody as "App Stores" in general. They seem to all have the same problem mentioned.

Then again this is an Apple site so maybe the assumption is that the comment was only about Apple, but I didn't read it like that. Either way I agree with Peabody's sentiment. 

Edit: NEVERMIND, Peabody does specifically mention Apple, I glazed over it. My fault.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 38 of 49
    He fixes things that are fixed until they're broken, obviously. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 39 of 49
    He fixes things that are fixed until they're broken, obviously. 
  • Reply 40 of 49
    zoetmb said:
    flaneur said:

I love Lake Bell, vocal fry or not.  And I used to work with many voice-over actors back in the days when I was a recording engineer/producer.  
    Do you mean that you love Lake Bell's creaky, spoiled-narcissist, wise-guy delivery? Or that you just love Lake Bell?

i separate the two myself. The vocal style is a disease of the times.
    SpamSandwich