IDC expects Apple Watch to dominate wearables market through 2019

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2015
Apple's dominance of the growing wearables market will continue for the foreseeable future, market research firm IDC projected on Thursday, forecasting that the Apple Watch will control the lion's share of the smartwatch market through the year 2019.

Sales of the Apple Watch are forecast to increase from an estimated 13 million units in 2015 to 45.2 million units in 2019, IDC said. That would actually translate into a loss in smartwatch marketshare as the market grows, but only from 61.3 to 51.1 percent. Industry-wide, smartwatch shipments are predicted to grow from 21.3 million to 88.3 million.

Apple's next closest competitor, Android Wear, is anticipated to grow shipments from 3.2 million to 34.3 million, ultimately putting it at a 38.8 percent share. The platform will allegedly eat into Apple's total market share, though together Google and Apple may feed off of smaller platforms like Pebble and Samsung's Tizen.

Smartwatches will likely grow in appeal as they add technologies like cellular connections, health sensors, and more third-party apps, IDC commented. At the moment most watches, including the Apple Watch, are tethered to specific phone platforms and hence serve as expensive accessories rather than as standalone options.

The total wearables market is estimated to hit 214.6 million units by 2019. Beyond watches, it can include things like fitness trackers, glasses, and even "smart" clothing.

Apple has yet to publish any official Apple Watch shipment data. While the company has hinted at some success, even revenue from the device is buried within an "Other Categories" line in the company's quarterly financial results.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'd not be surprised at all if this is true and well beyond 2019.  It always takes a few years for a new Apple product line to be truly successful (by Apple standards), even the iPhone.  Once it is people forget and only remember 'it' as an overnight hit for some reason.  
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why bother, idc. Have you ever been right with your projections? While I have no doubt the watch would be successful, you can't predict future technology. 
    birko
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sog35 said:
    Apple will sell way more than 45 million Apple Watches in 2019.
    What a ridiculous prediction.

We will hit close to 35-40 million Watches NEXT YEAR.
    By 2019 they will sell over 100 million Watches.

Once the Watch gets a cell radio/GPS/better Siri/thinner in a few years it will be a must have.
    I'd suggest not to hit that many watches you might do some damage to your fist.

• Reply 4 of 11
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Wow ... what an out-on-the-limb prediction ... A new product from Apple that's already blown away the competition in comparable sales, will continue to blow away the competition for the foreseeable future ... what guts to make such a prediction. /s
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sog35 said:

Once the Watch gets a cell radio/GPS/better Siri/thinner in a few years it will be a must have.
    That isn't going to happen. Retailers are already discounting Apple Watches by as much as 25%. Best Buy and other online retailers have been offering 100.00 off the watch for three weeks now. Last time I checked retailers don't offer discounts on products they sell as fast as they get in stock. Same goes for the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 4, as much as 125.00 off and its been that way for nearly the entire holiday shopping season. 

I hope the Apple Watch evolves, my fear is it's going to evolve at the same snails pace as Apple TV. I can't remember a time when current iOS devices were discounted as much as 25% for weeks a a time. 

• Reply 6 of 11
    atlapple said:
    sog35 said:

That isn't going to happen. Retailers are already discounting Apple Watches by as much as 25%. Best Buy and other online retailers have been offering 100.00 off the watch for three weeks now. Last time I checked retailers don't offer discounts on products they sell as fast as they get in stock. Same goes for the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 4, as much as 125.00 off and its been that way for nearly the entire holiday shopping season. 

I hope the Apple Watch evolves, my fear is it's going to evolve at the same snails pace as Apple TV. I can't remember a time when current iOS devices were discounted as much as 25% for weeks a a time. 

Maybe it isn't due to slow sales of Apple products but a different strategy altogether:

http://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2015/12/15/strategy-behind-retailers-discounting-apple-watch-and-ipad
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 7 of 11
    This is the same IDC that said Windows Phone would overtake iOS by end of 2015. Goes to show how credible they are.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    atlapple said:

Maybe it isn't due to slow sales of Apple products but a different strategy altogether:

http://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2015/12/15/strategy-behind-retailers-discounting-apple-watch-and-ipad
    That could certainly be the case. Over the last few weeks I've been able to get insane deals on all consumer electronics. However I've never seen so many Apple products on sale with steep discounts. Just today I got an email 300.00 of 12" Macbook, 125.00 iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4 100.00 off and Apple Watch still 100.00 off. 

I bought the iPad Pro for myself and got 12.00 off ..lol. Not sure what was up with that its an odd number. 

In any case I don't see @sog35 prediction coming true, 35-40 Million next year, just don't see that happening. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    This is the same IDC that said Windows Phone would overtake iOS by end of 2015. Goes to show how credible they are.
    Windows phone is a Microsoft product. And the market isn't interested in it. 

Windows Mobile lost to Blackberry, shouldn't have happened, before the iPhone even existed. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    atlapple said:
    sog35 said:

I think sog35's estimate or prediction is BS as those people in the Wall Street. Without true data, no one can make those bold claims.

I remember sog35 will bar himself from the site if the AAPL will not reach $150 by the end of this year. Also he mentioned the sale of Apple Watch by the end of first year,  it will reach 12 million.

I think sog35 are preparing to bar himself soon since the price of the AAPL inevitably is far short from his prediction (40% less). Hopefully, he will keep his promise, so that I won't see those BS comments.