Apple denies Kim Kardashian emoji app 'broke' iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2015
On Monday, pop culture icon Kim Kardashian publicly apologized for breaking the iOS App Store by launching her "Kimoji" emoji app to a crush of customers that supposedly proved too great a load to bear for Apple's servers. A day later, Apple confirmed Kardashian was mistaken.

A master of social media, Kardashian told her 38.1 million Twitter followers that she "broke the App Store," or intimated as much, no less than four times on Monday. Specifically, a number of fans looking for Kimoji, an app that lets users copy and paste custom Kardashian-themed characters into messages, were having trouble finding it on the App Store.

In true new media form dozens of online outlets glommed onto the story, parroting Kardashian's tweets and adding what later proved erroneous claims.

Gossip site TMZ, for example, fanned the flames with a report claiming Kardashian's $1.99 Kimoji app at one point generated 9,000 download requests per millisecond. Without citing a source, the site said it was told Apple's tech team "swooped in and shored [the App Store] up so it didn't fully crash," a statement seemingly bolstered by a follow-up Kardashian tweet.

Apple denied the many reports and Kardashian's own claims in a statement to TechInsider, saying "there were absolutely no issues with the App Store yesterday." The company also debunked the entirety of TMZ's coverage of the day's events.

In spite of -- or more likely thanks to -- yesterday's media firestorm, Kimoji is sitting at the top of Apple's iOS App Store charts for paid iPhone apps after only one day of availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    9000 per millisecond. So about 9,000,000 a second. Or 540 million downloads a minute. Yep…
    drunkzombiemuppetrynolamacguycornchipwvdirk
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Oh come on, like she knows what a millisecond is. If she thinks it's 1 millions seconds, I'd believe the download claim.
    radster360
  • Reply 3 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    She reported clearly falsified and trumped* up claims, and she gets media coverage. If you lack a certain ethical foundation—which clearly doesn't literally reside in one's ass or she's be the fucking Ghandi Lama Theresa—this marking works… but we can choose to not report it, as well as when it is reported, by us readers not commenting on it (yes, I see the hypocrisy in me posting about not posting).

* Now I know how the Trump family got their surname¡
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 4 of 39
    How do such emoji work? Is it just an in-line graphic? I thought new emoji had to go through the "emoji board" or something.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Soli said:
    She reported clearly falsified and trumped* up claims, and she gets media coverage. If you lack a certain ethical foundation—which clearly doesn't literally reside in one's ass or she's be the fucking Ghandi Lama Theresa—this marking works… but we can choose to not report it, as well as when it is reported, by us readers not commenting on it (yes, I see the hypocrisy in me posting about not posting).

* Now I know how the Trump family got their surname¡
    she's a certified liar, simple as that; she's god damn with Kayne who makes Trump look "modest" for god sake.
    They've got their head up their own ass up to their belly button.
    calicornchipbuzdots
  • Reply 6 of 39
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    I am dumber for having read this article...
    radster360calimr oredgeminipafotoformatnolamacguyargonautbuzdots
  • Reply 7 of 39
    If Apple's servers are able to take the (many more) millions of iPhone users when a new update comes out with no problems, what makes her think that her measly 38 million followers (even if ALL downloaded her app at the same time) would be able to make them even break a sweat? *rolling eyes*
    redgeminipadamn_its_hotcornchip
  • Reply 8 of 39
    This is one app Apple should have rejected. 
    radster360caliredgeminipadamn_its_hotargonautbuzdots
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Q: Why did Kim and Kanye name their kid North West?
    A: Because neither idiot could spell Seattle on the birth certificate.
    macky the mackyredgeminipadamn_its_hotfotoformatargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 39
    smaffei said:
    Q: Why did Kim and Kanye name their kid North West?
    A: Because neither idiot could spell Seattle on the birth certificate.
    Love it!
  • Reply 11 of 39
    I guess she's this generations idea of glamor, which I personally find very weird. She and her sisters all strike me as prostitutes and their own mother is clearly the pimp.

No wonder Bruce Jenner went insane.
    edited December 2015 calicornchipargonautbuzdots
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Gosh, I wish we could give them less exposure!
    cali
  • Reply 13 of 39
    God! My brain hurts! To hell with ad blockers, I want a Kardashian blocker... I'd pay big money for an app that would block all references to members of that tribe from my browser. 
    wonkothesanecornchipbuzdots
  • Reply 14 of 39
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    God! My brain hurts! To hell with ad blockers, I want a Kardashian blocker... I'd pay big money for an app that would block all references to members of that tribe from my browser. 
    The first iOS virus. Fuck ad blockers, how about penicillin?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I prefer Scarlett Johansson thank you.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This tramp really believes her app could break Apple? Next to Facebook Messenger and others?

Also, iPhone users downloaded hooker Emojis?
    cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Her butt broke the Internet, but the iOS App Store is so strong it could withstand it.
    Now there's a backdoor that finally made it to the App Store - the NSA should be happy!!
    badmonknolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 39
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    cstromme said:
    9000 per millisecond. So about 9,000,000 a second. Or 540 million downloads a minute. Yep…
    At $1.99, she made over $1B/min...lol. That mean within a day, she can buy out entire Apple...stfu, Kim, you are full of shit.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Despite my dislike for people who make lots of money and are famous for doing nothing noteworthy, it is obvious that this is a joke designed to get attention. Apple should not have dignified this with a response.
    edited December 2015 cornchip
  • Reply 20 of 39
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    Her butt broke the Internet, but the iOS App Store is so strong it could withstand it.
    Now there's a backdoor that finally made it to the App Store - the NSA should be happy!!
    Thanks man for making me laugh this dreary morning.