New Apple TV incompatible with Apple's own Remote app for iOS and watchOS

Comments

• Reply 241 of 264
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    pmcd wrote: »
    I would very much appreciate you not swearing in your replies to me. You free to do what you want but I usually ignore that kind of outburst.

Oh, I'm going to use the entire English language at my disposal. If you have a problem with well chosen words deemed cursed then perhaps you shouldn't be here.
    I […] feel it is unreasonable for Apple to assume I own a computer with a USB port that would work with the included cable.

So, to be clear, you're saying that USB-A 2.0 ports are so uncommon in 2015 that it's unreasonable for Apple to assume that a customer purchasing a 4th gen Apple TV would have one… in 2015. :no:
    If the remote needs charging with a specific charger then they should include it.

There's your answer!
    If any old charger can be used they should state that.

So when everyone else tells you that you can use a USB port on your old Gateway PC from 2005, you don't bite, instead you need something from Tim Cook? You want that hand delivered on parchment, too?¡
  • Reply 242 of 264
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Can someone determine how much current is required to charge the Siri remote from a computer USB port?  Will it charge from a standard 500ma port or does it require a non-standard USB port in a Mac which provides extra power?  All the more reason Apple iDevices should start supporting USB 3.0 standards not just for speed, but also for industry standard power up to 900ma per port which means it will work with a standard USB 3.0 hub.  Regardless, not everyone has USB ports in their wall outlets, keeps a computer in their living room or wants to take remote controls out of the room in order to charge.

• Reply 243 of 264
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

you will never, ever see a slide out keyboard on the remote. because it's not a good suggestion. Siri does basic searches now and will continue to improve, of course. and for all the hand waiving here about account data entry, it just doesn't happen that often to matter.

If not a slide out keyboard, at least ATV 4 should allow Voice Dictation for search within apps instead of pressing these stupid virtual keys, one at a time.

• Reply 244 of 264
    Who cares about Remote. What happened to the Smithsonian channel?
  • Reply 245 of 264
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    It just occurred to me that most TVs this thing is going to be used with have USB ports.

So, for the people who don't have at least one generic USB charger laying about, who don't have a computer, who don't have a USB port on their car or home stereo, AND whose TV doesn't have USB ports, this thing is a complete failure.

Poor guys. What on earth is Apple thinking?
  • Reply 246 of 264
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

It just occurred to me that most TVs this thing is going to be used with have USB ports.

So, for the people who don't have at least one generic USB charger laying about, who don't have a computer, who don't have a USB port on their car or home stereo, AND whose TV doesn't have USB ports, this thing is a complete failure.

What makes you think that most TV's have a free USB port suitable for charging the remote? Can the remote be charged from the USB port on a Fire TV? What do people do if they have a MacBook Retina? Do you expect them to buy the USB adapter?

People here claiming they can use any old charger for charging iDevices or smart phones are sadly mistaken. You only have to do a search as to what is supported by various Apple chargers to realize that many devices have been ruined or had their battery life shortened by using improper chargers even though many report they work. Charging lithium batteries is not a trivial process and quite frankly those people here saying it is ok to use whatever don't know what they are talking about and are being irresponsible.

I certainly don't feel this issue is major. I am very happy with the new Apple TV, like the remote and really like the PleX app. I have been able to search across Netflix, iTunes and Hulu using Sir which is really neat. Entering passwords has been relatively painless and the video quality is excellent. The Apple TV's wireless connection via an Asus ac router yields 250mbs down and 20mbs up which is fantastic.

In short, I love the new Apple TV. I had one small complaint about the charger and every pseudo electrical engineer  has gone wild. That topic is closed as far as I am concerned. Finally, the teenagers here who think it's cool to anonymously swear and insult people really pollute the place. Let them at least have the courage to reveal their true identities so that people can view them for what they are.

• Reply 247 of 264
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

When they put a USB port on the Apple TV that can't be used to charge the remote?  When they included a USB cable that can't be plugged into the Apple TV for charging the remote?

• Reply 248 of 264
    haggar wrote: »
    When they put a USB port on the Apple TV that can't be used to charge the remote?  When they included a USB cable that can't be plugged into the Apple TV for charging the remote?

Clearly they don't want the diagnostic port to be used for charging the remote. Perhaps it's not even possible, although from other tests with the port I would assume that it does include power.
  • Reply 249 of 264
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Let's be reasonable. You do NOT need a computer to charge the remote.
    You DO need a TV to use the AppleTV though, which brings me to the point: arguably about 95% of all flatscreen TVs with HDMI (which is also a requirement) also feature at least one USB-A port. So all you need is a lightning cable, which is supplied. If you're so unlucky that your TV does in fact NOT have a USB port AND you don't own a modern Smartphone with a USB charger AND you don't own a computer, you can still buy a generic USB charger for approximately 5$ at Walmart or the next penny store.
  • Reply 250 of 264
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

A lot of people don't have computers. Many have just an iPhone or iPad or Android or whatever. You can't assume that people have computers. It's not a requirement for using the Apple TV or is it? If it isn't then supply the charger.

While your statement that "a lot of people don't have computers" is certainly objectively true on a global scale, I'm willing to bet actual money that the percentage of people who buy an AppleTV who also don't have a computer is close to zero.

• Reply 251 of 264

I was one of the 'lucky' ones who received my device on Friday - Oct 30.  Was really hyped when I saw the auto setup with the iPhone.  By Saturday - after entering text a few times and having the white screen making my eyes ache and that damned gold San Francisco sunset glaring me in the face as I fell into a nap - I had a feeling I'd be returning it as well.  I trudged on.  No quick update to make the remote work on Monday.  When I left work Tuesday, I was off to the Apple Store to drop off their device for a refund.  I'd rather watch anything available on @TV4 on my iPhone 6S Plus than on the garbage that I received.  If this is not the worst device and user experience Apple has created, it has to be up there.  So pissed off was exactly how I felt on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  Relief finally set in on Tuesday.  I have 3 Apple TV3's but I think it's time to start moving some of my content eggs out of the same basket.  Just my opinion but this is a HUGE bomb and I don't mean in the hip, good way!  Yes, it can be saved with LOTS of software updates.  I'll check back in a year or so.  Hint:  A Dark Mode option as they have on a Mac would be nice for those of us of a more vampiric, nocturnal nature.

• Reply 252 of 264

Here is an excellent opinion piece on the new AppleTV and how the new apps offer a worse user experience compared to the previous models.  

http://************/2015/11/06/opinion-classic-apple-tv-app-usability-issues/

• Reply 253 of 264
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    user39040 wrote: »

I was one of the 'lucky' ones who received my device on Friday - Oct 30.  Was really hyped when I saw the auto setup with the iPhone.  By Saturday - after entering text a few times and having the white screen making my eyes ache and that damned gold San Francisco sunset glaring me in the face as I fell into a nap - I had a feeling I'd be returning it as well.  I trudged on.  No quick update to make the remote work on Monday.

What was wrong? Your remote didn't work?
  • Reply 254 of 264
    To show much we dislike the new 4th gen. We purchased a tv for our bedroom as a backup TV and we planned on moving out 2nd gen Apple TV back there. After setting up the 4th gen on our primary TV in our family room and working with it for a few days we switched the new remote to the backup TV and brought the old Apple TV back in. Not having the remote feature is a huge issue.
  • Reply 255 of 264

OK, got my new iphone 6s plus a few weeks ago and the new apple tv today.  Damn surprised and unhappy that I can't use remote app with new apple tv.  Hey apple - whatever happened to the best user experience?  You've messed up!

• Reply 256 of 264

It's hard to believe all the cry baby whining about the remote app. My new ? TV4 is awesome and couldn't have been more simple to set up. The first time I started it I was prompted to hold one of my ? devices next to the ? Tv and let the user settings from my device set up the AppleTV by bluetooth. In less than a minute it was set up. The remote issue is moot. You are all whiners and are missing out on the coolest device (next to my ? Watch) released all year. 

Kudos on a wonderful job ?. Like the ? Watch you have hit it out of the park again!!

Keep up the great work ? 

• Reply 257 of 264
    But the Remote app certainly does work.  I just set mine up and it is awesome to control from my iPhone REmote app. Apple has instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201664

• Reply 258 of 264
     say ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY REMOTE APP BACK, MY REMOTE APP BACK, APPLE MY REMOTE APP BACK! GEE IF I COULD ONLY HAVE MY REMOTE APP BACK, THEN I COULD WISH ALL OF APPLE MERRY CHRISTMAS.
  • Reply 259 of 264
    s!kes!ke Posts: 28member
    I saw the remote app got an update just a week or so ago that makes it compatible. 

• Reply 260 of 264
     say ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY REMOTE APP BACK, MY REMOTE APP BACK, APPLE MY REMOTE APP BACK! GEE IF I COULD ONLY HAVE MY REMOTE APP BACK, THEN I COULD WISH ALL OF APPLE MERRY CHRISTMAS.
    say WISHING ALL OF APPLE MERRY CHRISTMAS!