'iPhone 6c' to boast larger battery than iPhone 5s, 2GB of RAM, production to start in Jan. - repor

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2015
Though Apple's new 4-inch iPhone will sport the same screen size as the iPhone 5s, it will feature a number of internal improvements, including more RAM, a faster A9 processor, and a larger battery, according to a new report.

Details on Apple's so-called "iPhone 6c" were published on Tuesday by MyDrivers.com, and first spotted by Gadgetz Arena. According to alleged sources at Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn, the new 4-inch iPhone will go into production in January for an early 2016 launch.

The "iPhone 6c" is expected to feature a 1,642mAh battery, an increase from the 1,570mAh battery found in Apple's current entry-level model, the iPhone 5s. In addition, the handset is rumored to feature slightly curved "2.5D" glass, similar to the curved edges on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s.

Beyond those changes, the "iPhone 6c" is expected to look largely the same as the iPhone 5s. For example, the "6c" is said to come in three colors --?space grey, gold, and silver, just like the 5s.

The new handset is also expected to feature the same 4-inch display with a 1,136-by-640-pixel resolution.

Internally, it's expected to be upgraded to an A9 processor, which would somewhat surprisingly match that of the iPhone 6s. Accordingly, the A9 chip in the "iPhone 6c" is expected to have 2 gigabytes of RAM, just like the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.

The new handset is also rumored to have an 8-megapixel camera. It was said that trial production of the device has already begun, with mass production set to kick off early in the new year.

As for pricing, sources reportedly said that the "iPhone 6c" will start at 4,000 yuan, which equals about $617 U.S., for a 16-gigabyte model. That suggests it may not be an entry-level model, as the iPhone 5s currently costs 3,288 yuan.

Just recently, carrier China Mobile suggested that a new iPhone -- presumably the "6c" -- would ship in April, consistent with claims like those of KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who is anticipating an early 2016 launch for a 4-inch model. Apple is also believed to be planning a March press event which will feature not just a 4-inch iPhone but a second-generation Apple Watch.

That iPhone may also support Apple Pay, by now a de facto feature on most Apple mobile devices, even if iPads can't use it at retail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Not that surprising that it would have the A9, just like the Touch got the then-current A8 instead of the A7. 
    mcarling
  • Reply 2 of 55
    If it has those specs, this is gonna be one fast iPhone.  Surprising it may not come in Rose Gold color,
    mcarling
  • Reply 3 of 55
    if 2GB, then not surprising at all. although the rumor mongers will hypothesize low sales of the 6s and 6s+ as the reason for using the current SOC, rather than the A8 (which would be cheaper, you would think). OTOH, it will pique interest in the spring quarter when sales nosedive, and satisfy the hard cores who see a need for a phone with full iOS capabilities and not a small tablet that can make phone calls.
    mcarling
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Headphone jack?
  • Reply 5 of 55
    $600? No thanks.
    Prof_Peabodylord amhran
  • Reply 6 of 55
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I would of thought that the 5S chiseled body design would look at odds with that slightly curved '2.5D' glass tacked onto it...why not just do a smaller version of the 6 series?
    Prof_Peabody
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Whatever are the features, across the board Apple Pay capability is a must going forward.
    mcarlinggregoriusmnetmage
  • Reply 8 of 55
    sog35 said:

$600? No thanks.
    No thanks?  Its a great deal.  Basically same internals as the 6s but smaller size.

6s+ $750
    6s  $650
    6 mini $600

what a great lineup.

Now if only Mr Cook could better articulate Apple's vision and stop the myth that Apple is only a hardware company.
    I guess if you're really adamant about a 4" iPhone then it's probably great for you.  But only $50 less than the 4.7" iPhone? Not sure if it's a great deal. Make it $550

As far as articulating Apple's vision.  SJ said it best:  Apple lives at the intersection of technology & liberal arts.
    edited December 2015 netmage
  • Reply 9 of 55
    sog35 said:

$600? No thanks.
    No thanks?  Its a great deal.  Basically same internals as the 6s but smaller size.

6s+ $750
    6s  $650
    6 mini $600

what a great lineup.

Now if only Mr Cook could better articulate Apple's vision and stop the myth that Apple is only a hardware company.
    No. If this is supposed to be the entry level phone in Apple's lineup it shouldn't be $600. If it's supposed to be a 4" version of the flagship why is it being released 6 months later and why is it rumored to have the 5S design language?
    gatorguyProf_Peabody
  • Reply 10 of 55
    sog35 said:

6s+ $750
    6s  $650
    6 mini $600

what a great lineup.

No. If this is supposed to be the entry level phone in Apple's lineup it shouldn't be $600. If it's supposed to be a 4" version of the flagship why is it being released 6 months later and why is it rumored to have the 5S design language?
    They could even just release it as a refreshed version of the 5S, with TouchID and Apple Pay. That alone would make it worth people making the upgrade. I think people are starting to "get it" that security and encryption matter.
    edited December 2015 mcarling
  • Reply 11 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Hitachi has a new battery tech that Apple may well be interested in. Keep the size the same but double the capacity? Could be. Search up ULSiON
  • Reply 12 of 55
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    $600? No thanks.
    I would be delighted to pay the same price for a 4" phone with all the features of the 4.7" iPhone 6S phablet.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    They could even just release it as a refreshed version of the 5S, with TouchID and Apple Pay. That alone would make it worth people making the upgrade. I think people are starting to "get it" that security and encryption matter.
    That's fine but the 5S is currently $449 off contract.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    sog35 said:

6s+ $750
    6s  $650
    6 mini $600

what a great lineup.

Exactly.  As described, this phone makes no sense.  Especially the ugly mixup of the chiseled iPhone 5 aesthetic and the smooth screen of the iPhone 6.  Who is this for?  

It seems like they would be far better off sticking to the plastic bodies that they already engineered, keeping costs down by putting in minimal upgrades and selling it as an entry level or emerging market model.  It should also be cheaper by quite a bit if that's the case, not the same price as the flagship models.  
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 15 of 55

mcarling said:
    $600? No thanks.
    I would be delighted to pay the same price for a 4" phone with all the features of the 4.7" iPhone 6S phablet.
    Everything about this phone seems odd to me. Same specs as current 6S but released 6 months or so later and older iPhone 5S design. Huh?
  • Reply 16 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sog35 said:

6s+ $750
    6s  $650
    6 mini $600

what a great lineup.

Duh, it's a RUMOR! This very article says it may not be an entry level phone. And judging from these specs it won't be. And where do you get it's the same design language? And seriously you can't think of a single reason Apple might not release the 4" model along with their flagship models? I mean you have so many other suggestions for how Apple should be run better ...
    fastasleepmcarlingnetmage
  • Reply 17 of 55
    $600? No thanks.

Yeah, it's not like Apple sold a couple hundred million 5 and 5S iPhones for $600. /s

Apple would know better than anyone what the market for 4" iPhones would be. When the 6 launched, they would know how many people still purchased the 5S. And with customer feedback they'd know the type of customer that wanted a 4" iPhone and the specific reasons they purchased one (taking out the $100 lower price, which would be the deciding factor for some).

The A9 and 2GB seems like a given, to ensure this new iPhone would be able to run the latest Apps for years to come. However, I'd expect that to save battery power the A9 might come in clocked a little slower than the 6S. With the lower res screen even a lower clocked A9 would still provide blistering performance.
    mcarling
  • Reply 18 of 55
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Apple listen, 3(wife and two kids) out of 5 people in my family ready for upgrade to iphone 6C. My Dad said, iphone 4S is just fine for his needs(call and occasionally text) and I am happy with my iphone 6. Hope, there are many out their who still like very much smaller iphone for it's good reasons and would continue using it until upgrade is offered in same size and iPhone 6C is answer to it. Apple don't leave out any of ApplePay, VoLTE,VoWifi features in iphone 6C.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Being a small-hands person, I look forward to seeing if these rumor actually materialize into a product.  I don't like the sizes of the 6s/6s+ much. I've had my iP6 now since launch but, although i am sort-of used to the size of the 6 now and appreciate the size of the screen, i'd much rather have the better ergonomics and single-handed use of the 4" screen phones.  My only worry is that the storage option could be limited to 16gb only.  That would be a deal breaker to me.  Still, a smaller phone is much more suited to my use-case than a bigger one.  That being said, I can see the need in my travel-life for a 6+ sized device.  IT's a tough choice.  I'd really rather they release a 4" device at th same time as the iPhone 7.  That way i wouldn't have make a decision just to have a potential better option 6 months later.

As for price, I don't see why everyone is so focused on how much it's going to cost.  The rumors point to basically a device with 2015 iPhone internals.  THat's enough to justify whatever price apple see fit.  It's an iPhone, from Apple, their going to price it relative to their current line-up.  Probably starting at 100 below whatever the current iPhone 6s is.  Deal with it.  We all have in the past, we all pay whatever Apple prices it at.  We all whine about it but we buy them anyway.  that's a fact and it's not going to change.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    sog35 said:

Everything about this phone seems odd to me. Same specs as current 6S but released 6 months or so later and older iPhone 5S design. Huh?
    January is 4 months after September

March is though, when it's supposed to be released. January is the rumored production start.
    netmage