'iPhone 6c' to boast larger battery than iPhone 5s, 2GB of RAM, production to start in Jan. - repor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Model numbers aren't required to mean anything - and indeed Apple has never explained how they choose to name their models.  Many have speculated on what they mean - but that's all it is - speculation.

Having said that - if I were Apple, I'd name this thing the 7c instead of the 6c - especially if the 7 is expected as early as June this year and this 4" model won't be out until April.

Naming it the 6c and then releasing the 7 a couple months later is going to give some people the perception that it is a dated model and potentially impact sales.  Regardless of the form factor and the internals - calling it the 7c would give it staying power and keep it relevant post-release of the next flagship.

Many will disagree with this - because it doesn't align with what they believe the model numbers to "mean".  That's why I started this post by reminding everyone  that nobody outside of Apple knows for sure what they mean - and also that Apple can go ahead and redefine it whenever they feel like it.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member

mcarling said:
    I would be delighted to pay the same price for a 4" phone with all the features of the 4.7" iPhone 6S phablet.
    Everything about this phone seems odd to me. Same specs as current 6S but released 6 months or so later and older iPhone 5S design. Huh?
    Technology-wise, I am of the opinion that Apple should deploy state of the art tech in different form factors.

These tech can be useful for Apple Watch, smart bands and Pencil too. Apple need the production experiences to get there. These next generation computers are significantly smaller than our phones and tablets today. Yes, I see Pencil as a full blown computer too since it has built-in battery, a CPU, network, and of course some memory, and software. No one really plays in that space as deep and broad as Apple yet.

In fact, their logistics should be profitable even for low volume production if they forecast their demand well. You can really only have the data if you jump in.

For volume sales say in India, if they discount iPhone 5 aggressively perhaps with some parts update, it should be more than good enough than the not so reliable phones people sell in those price range.
    edited December 2015 mcarling
  • Reply 23 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sog35 said:
    January is 4 months after September

March is though, when it's supposed to be released. January is the rumored production start.
    I would bet they announce in March, but it isn't released until April. Also, it's been rumored that the iPhone 7 may be moved up to June or July, which means this phone is only 2-3 months ahead of the 7. Considering how these rumors are shaping up, I would wonder if this phone won't be a little closer to the 7, rather than the 6S. Releasing any phone halfway through a product cycle, especially if it is closer to the end of the cycle as rumored, will take a lot of the luster off sales when the 7 is released if it doesn't offer a lot of top of the line qualities to sustain it through the initial 7 release.

The 5c was a slightly improved 5, released at the same time as the 5S. With an improved battery, similar to the 6S, I'd say there will be other improvements over the 6S. Which sort of puts this phone between the 6S and 7 in terms of the feature set and price. I wouldn't be surprised if they call this the "iPhone mini" and dropping the 6 or 7. I really hope they put the 12mp camera in there, since it's almost assured they won't include 3D Touch or the Taptic Engine, for space limitations. I don't know why people keep taking the 5S comparison literally ... I'm expecting this phone to be slimmer, and resemble the current 6 Series phones, not a 5S case with a new glass bezel. If the 7 really is coming out sooner in June or July, then this case may well reflect a new design closer to the 7 (in much the same way the iPod Touch has its own unique case design), since there's not much the competition could do in those those few short months from any clues doing so would offer them. Maybe they will be unveiling some new tech also contained in the 7 which might otherwise have to be revealed in an FCC filing, so why not capitalize on it immediately?
    edited December 2015 balu
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Looking at the chart in this tweet:

One would have to question if there is a healthy market for a 4" iPhone

• Reply 25 of 55
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    sog35 said:

No thanks?  Its a great deal.  Basically same internals as the 6s but smaller size.

6s+ $750
    6s  $650
    6 mini $600

what a great lineup.

Now if only Mr Cook could better articulate Apple's vision and stop the myth that Apple is only a hardware company.
    I guess if you're really adamant about a 4" iPhone then it's probably great for you.  But only $50 less than the 4.7" iPhone? Not sure if it's a great deal. Make it $550

As far as articulating Apple's vision.  SJ said it best:  Apple lives at the intersection of technology & liberal arts.
    But but many 4" lovers in here are willing to pay the same price as 4.7"...I guess they lied?
    Btw, if this 4" phone sports these specs, it won't be an entry model but mid tier ($99 subsidized or $550). Remember that iPhone is always more expensive abroad. So, if it's $600 converted from People money in China, it means $550 in US. I keep my fingers cross that it'll be $550 like current iPhone 6 in US. It makes sense that it is in mid tier since it has smaller screen with better specs than iPhone 6.
    edited December 2015 mcarling
  • Reply 26 of 55

It's not quite the same thing. Android 4" phones suck. Different products and different audience.

It will depend on how Apple "package" their 4" phone, if there's such a thing.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    sog35 said:
    Now if only Mr Cook could better articulate Apple's vision and stop the myth that Apple is only a hardware company.
    They may not be "only a hardware company" but it's pretty obviously what they do best.  After following Apple closely for pretty much their whole existence and buying and using most every product they have ever made I think it's fair to say that while they make software, they rarely make "great" software.  At least, outside of the OS's themselves. 

Apple has always been pretty great at making OS software, although some of the latest versions seem to have more in common with Microsoft's approach than Apple's traditional software approach.  Outside of that, most of Apple's software efforts are pretty crap actually.  Even the OS "add-in's" and bundled software like Mail, Contacts, etc. are all pretty poorly designed and written when it comes down to it.  

I would say that Apple has the best hardware chops on the planet, and that the integration of their OS software takes the back seat to no one else, but overall and in general Apple is a pretty mediocre software producer if we are being honest.  So they aren't a "hardware only" company, but it's definitely what they do best by a long shot. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Just what I'm waiting for. I'm still hanging on to my 3 year old iphone5 and would keep forever. I can't stand the form factor of the 6 and 6s. They just feel too big and awkward for me in my hand and pocket.
    I only want a slightly faster processor. finger print login, ApplePay and a better camera and of course a better battery would be welcomed. 64gig minimum space. 128gig would be the one I'd get for sure and hopefully it still retains the 3.5mm headphone plug.  I just never cared for the button placements on the 6 and 6s and I have no use or desire to upgrade to a phone that big. I already own an ipad if I want a bigger screen and I have a 27" for my hackintosh.
    mcarling
  • Reply 29 of 55

I'm not sure how a chart showing small phone activation over the holidays says anything about how well one would sell from Apple, when there's not one available from Apple at the time this chart was prepared.

Especially when we know Android built its brand on the giant "Phablets" Apple once said it wouldn't sell. If Apple sold 3% of a premium 4" phone out of its total iPhone sales (over 231 million in 2015), that would be almost 7 million. That's not an unhealthy market. But considering Apple's beginnings, and mantra up until last year when they started offering only larger premium iPhones, I would bet there's a much larger percentage of Apple customers who are interested in a smaller premium phone than Android. And if I'm not mistaken, those smaller Android phones aren't premium models either. Maybe the Apple customers weren't interested in giving a cheap, 3 year old 4" phone as a Christmas present? And maybe the Apple customers who want a small phone, are content to give Watches, which are compatible with the iPhone 5 series for Christmas, and hang onto their older small iPhones waiting to see what Apple does in light of these rumors, or what the 7 brings.

And the bottom line, if these rumors are true, I wouldn't bet against the marketing data Apple has, including their own internal model sales data, which surely indicates there's money to be made in servicing this segment of their customers, albeit smaller than those for the larger 4.7" phone.
    mcarling
  • Reply 30 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Instant buy to replace my wife's 5s.
    mcarling
  • Reply 31 of 55
    a3dstorm said:
    Just what I'm waiting for. I'm still hanging on to my 3 year old iphone5 and would keep forever. I can't stand the form factor of the 6 and 6s. They just feel too big and awkward for me in my hand and pocket.
    I only want a slightly faster processor. finger print login, ApplePay and a better camera and of course a better battery would be welcomed. 64gig minimum space. 128gig would be the one I'd get for sure and hopefully it still retains the 3.5mm headphone plug.  I just never cared for the button placements on the 6 and 6s and I have no use or desire to upgrade to a phone that big. I already own an ipad if I want a bigger screen and I have a 27" for my hackintosh.
    I think it will be a premium, or at least premium-adjacent phone with the same RAM and storage options, because it will likely serve a smaller pool of customers than the larger phones, and they will want to sell as many as possible and will need to straddle the mid-tier budget conscious who are willing to spend more, but offer the options for those able to otherwise spend a premium on the flagship phones. But it will have some compromises compared to the larger models, in much the same way there are compromises between getting the 6S or 6S Plus -- if you want better battery life and the best camera, you have to be willing to carry a Plus-sized model. I don't think it will have 3D Touch, or the Taptic Engine due to space limitations and cost. And, like the new Retina MacBook, this may be a test run for certain forthcoming changes. Namely, the removal of the 3.5mm Jack. Just like the MacBook is the only USB-C equipped product (aside from the TV 4), which is the ONLY data port on the notebook, Apple may take this opportunity to do the same thing with the 4" phone. This article even reinforces the idea by putting a higher capacity battery in what I expect will be a slimmer case. If Apple is squeezing the guts of the 6S into the 5S size, where are they getting the extra room for a larger battery? Maybe the 3.5mm Jack. and the thinking may just be that those who want a 4" phone will accept such a major compromise over sticking with their 3-5 year old phones. And given the state of wireless technology and products, along with a free Lightning equipped set of earbuds, maybe most won't even care. And it prepares the masses for the 7, which may only come out 2-3 months later based on other tumors. So the uproar affects a "niche" model phone, which customers who are craving it will likely buy regardless, rather than bog down the flagship launch.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 32 of 55
    sog35 said:
    Now if only Mr Cook could better articulate Apple's vision and stop the myth that Apple is only a hardware company.
    They may not be "only a hardware company" but it's pretty obviously what they do best.  After following Apple closely for pretty much their whole existence and buying and using most every product they have ever made I think it's fair to say that while they make software, they rarely make "great" software.  At least, outside of the OS's themselves. 

Apple has always been pretty great at making OS software, although some of the latest versions seem to have more in common with Microsoft's approach than Apple's traditional software approach.  Outside of that, most of Apple's software efforts are pretty crap actually.  Even the OS "add-in's" and bundled software like Mail, Contacts, etc. are all pretty poorly designed and written when it comes down to it.  

I would say that Apple has the best hardware chops on the planet, and that the integration of their OS software takes the back seat to no one else, but overall and in general Apple is a pretty mediocre software producer if we are being honest.  So they aren't a "hardware only" company, but it's definitely what they do best by a long shot. 

It also depends on the OS's lifecycle. According to Craig Federighi, OSX still has some 32-bit components in play. Those sounds like the old Carbon stuff that's deeply integrated into the ecosystem. At the same time, they need to revamp the OS to address more stringent power requirements, new usage model, and new security threats (in the form of state-sponsored attackers, including our own NSA). They will need to phase their changes carefully over a few years while guiding the developers away from old frameworks. 

Jobs mentioned that you can't write a good OS in a short time. It'll probably take a good few years (since after Snow Leopard) for the dust to settle. It gets dicey when the app developers fall behind the changes. 10.11.2 seems pretty solid so far, better than 10.10 and 10.9. So I'm guessing they are on their way back after the revamp. Looking forward to see the next revision.

We also know that Apple vertically integrate their products. A lot of parts are customized by or for Apple, which means someone need to maintain their custom software drivers. This will allow them to squeeze in more "hardware" than the traditional off-the-shelf approach. So the "best hardware" company monika is really "best system" company coz the software (closer to metal) ties everything together. Software is not just apps.

For apps, Apple want a vibrant developer base. That means leaving room for 3rd party apps to innovate. They don't want to make the best app per se, but they want the best app ecosystem, and they want to serve underserved and yet common needs. That's why they end up with bundled apps that people use commonly. At the same time, 3rd parties serve the power users (because there is room there).

To Apple, best ecosystem means privacy, security, power efficient,multi-lingual, accessibility, variety, etc. It looks like they are trying to go deeper with enterprise focus, and Phil's participation. Even then, we still see strong 3rd party partnership like IBM, box.com, and perhaps more.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 33 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Whatever are the features, across the board Apple Pay capability is a must going forward.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    mcarling
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Whatever are the features, across the board Apple Pay capability is a must going forward.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    sog35 said:

$600? No thanks.
    No thanks?  Its a great deal.  Basically same internals as the 6s but smaller size.

6s+ $750
    6s  $650
    6 mini $600

what a great lineup.

No. If this is supposed to be the entry level phone in Apple's lineup it shouldn't be $600. If it's supposed to be a 4" version of the flagship why is it being released 6 months later and why is it rumored to have the 5S design language?
    The late release is likely easy, Apple is at the very bleeding edge of sub 20 nm technology, as such it is prudent to move slowly and not put yourself in a vulnerable position. Or to put it another way they want to make sure TSMC and Samsungs tech could actually produce in volume and that the ramp ups would be smooth. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if another iPad AiR is released early next year too. The reasoning would be the same, the manufacturing technology has ramped up to the point where risks are reasonable.
    netmage
  • Reply 36 of 55
    wizard69 said:
    No. If this is supposed to be the entry level phone in Apple's lineup it shouldn't be $600. If it's supposed to be a 4" version of the flagship why is it being released 6 months later and why is it rumored to have the 5S design language?
    The late release is likely easy, Apple is at the very bleeding edge of sub 20 nm technology, as such it is prudent to move slowly and not put yourself in a vulnerable position. Or to put it another way they want to make sure TSMC and Samsungs tech could actually produce in volume and that the ramp ups would be smooth. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if another iPad AiR is released early next year too. The reasoning would be the same, the manufacturing technology has ramped up to the point where risks are reasonable.
    Maybe. I'm still not completely convinced the entry level phone should be defined by screen size. I'm sure there are some who would love a top of the line phone in a smaller form factor and others who prefer the larger screen but don't have $650 to spend. I'm kind of bummed that the 5C didn't work out. I think quality wise it was a really great phone. Didn't feel like cheap Samsungy plastic at all. But unfortunately people equated plastic with cheap so the device could never shake the 'it's an expensive phone in a cheap plastic case' tag.
    netmage
  • Reply 37 of 55
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 said:

6s+ $750
    6s  $650
    6 mini $600

what a great lineup.

Who said entry level, Tim, Jony or Phil?

The 5S design makes sense in that the squared-off shape is more ergonomic on smaller phones. But the 5S glass stands higher than the metal band, and thus is exposed to chipping. I can see them now burying it under the band level and curving the glass at the edge to protect it from shock, a subduction zone, as it were. They know how to curve those edges now.

As to the timing of the release, a simple answer: engineering, design and manufacturing resources are subject to the laws of nature. No time, no product until time allows.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    tenly said:
    Model numbers aren't required to mean anything - and indeed Apple has never explained how they choose to name their models.  Many have speculated on what they mean - but that's all it is - speculation.

Having said that - if I were Apple, I'd name this thing the 7c instead of the 6c - especially if the 7 is expected as early as June this year and this 4" model won't be out until April.

Naming it the 6c and then releasing the 7 a couple months later is going to give some people the perception that it is a dated model and potentially impact sales.  Regardless of the form factor and the internals - calling it the 7c would give it staying power and keep it relevant post-release of the next flagship.

Many will disagree with this - because it doesn't align with what they believe the model numbers to "mean".  That's why I started this post by reminding everyone  that nobody outside of Apple knows for sure what they mean - and also that Apple can go ahead and redefine it whenever they feel like it.
    IPhone Classic™ 
    tenly
  • Reply 39 of 55

mcarling said:
    I would be delighted to pay the same price for a 4" phone with all the features of the 4.7" iPhone 6S phablet.
    Everything about this phone seems odd to me. Same specs as current 6S but released 6 months or so later and older iPhone 5S design. Huh?
    Apple may be using some enclosure components from the markets they intend to penetrate, thereby avoiding some tariff costs. I remember hearing of some "deal" Apple struck with India and Indonesia and this event may have been what held up the same-time release of the 4" iPhone. While an older A-series SoC may be cheaper on paper, standardizing on one chip in all iPhones may add to the scale of the A9 and pick up enough savings to make a mix of chips moot.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    sog35 said:

6s+ $750
    6s  $650
    6 mini $600

what a great lineup.

Here we go again with people fixated on the idea that an Apple entry level phone better be a budget phone.  Apple does not do budget devices.  The price of an Apple device covers the cost of customer support which includes free, get that-- free, consultation and diagnostic service at the Genius Bar (where other outfits would right away charge you at least $25 bucks), surprisingly inexpensive repair costs ($150 labor + parts to replace a video card on an off warranty iMac), very lenient exchange policies, very lenient defective product replacement (such as free lightning and iMac charger cables that my son got on 2 year old devices with no Applecare), and so on.  Apple will never sell a product and say, this one is a lot cheaper so you don't have the same Genius Bar privileges.
    edited December 2015 netmage