Lawsuit seeks more than $5M from Apple for slowing older iPhones with iOS 9 upgrade

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Propwash0 said:
    These people with the class action lawsuit really disgust me. These people should be privileged that iPhone 4S runs iOS 9. First off, I want them to show me another phone from 2011 that can run the latest firmware. 2nd, these people are complaing that they have to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new phone because their iPhone 4S is too slow, well if you're running a smartphone from 2011, you should be ready to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new phone because common sense would tell you that the iPhone 4S is almost near the end of its lifespan. Anyways, these ungrateful people disgust me and I hope they lose terribly in court. 
    Yeah, it's a privilege that the newest OS rendered the device almost unusable. A 4S is probably in the hands of its second, or even third owner. They probably just shelled out good money to get it for it only not to work properly? Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest. 
  • Reply 42 of 91
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member
    1. You weren’t forced to update.

2. Old hardware can’t run new software as fast as new hardware can.

3. These people should be individually fined the full price of their phones for being this stupid.
    But you are forced to update if you ever need to put your iPhone 4s in "recovery mode". 

My nephew dug out his old 4s, he upgraded to the 5 when it came out and was just saving it as an emergency back up phone, but he forgot the passcode. After half a dozen attempts, the iPhone went into "disable mode" and instructed him to connect to iTunes. But he no longer has the original hard drive with the iTunes he used to activate the 4s as he also upgraded his PC with a new hard drive. So now, iTunes only gives him a choice to "recover" or "update". Updating would be useless as he would still be stuck with the old passcode, plus upgrade to iOS9 anyways. So the only choice was to recover, in which he was forced to load iOS 9. 

Now i have a question, if (and that's a big if) my nephew can locate the original PC hard drive with an old back up file from the 4s, will the back up file restore it to the old iOS or will it just transfer all his data in the file into the new iOS9? 

• Reply 43 of 91
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member

Microsoft has been guilty of this for decades on the PC. Until recently new versions of Windows almost always needed new hardware to run properly. Is it frustrating? Yeah probably. But it is not the cause of financial damages.
    But on a PC or Mac, you can always load back in the old OS, if after trying the new OS and it's not to your liking. Not so with an iPhone, once upgraded, you're stuck with the upgraded version, like it or not. It's just do or do not. There is no try.  
  • Reply 45 of 91
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    My iOS9 freezes sometimes on my iPhone 6 Plus compared to iOS8.. I can definitely feel the difference in performance even with all the fancy graphical UI settings turned off
  • Reply 46 of 91
    My 4s is not nearly as fast as my 6+, but it is very usable on iOS 9. I have none of the problems mentioned here. So, whazzup!?
  • Reply 47 of 91
    "My diddly dang iPhone done start working all wacky, and nowz I can't see the pictures, yo!"  

This lawsuit and resulting sympathy highlights another example of a problem easily fixed with simple reading before clumsily poking one's protruding appendages at anything with a blinking light.

The problem with technology becoming more accessible, at some point it crosses the beyond the threshold and becomes easily available to those in the herd that are too stupid to operate it.

What we're witnessing with modern computers is a branch in human evolution.  On one side the continued evolution of man, on the other those who are have become little more than grazing animals memorized by blinking lights.

It's amazing how intuitive Apple has made their software overall, and it's equally amazing the gap in intelligence of those who seem to utterly fail at using it.  Lawyers are merely parasites that depend on and exploit these retards.  

< This recap of reality has been brought to you by me. >
    tallest skilargonauticoco3dementuschikan
  • Reply 48 of 91
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Can Apple sue back users for being stupid? This kind of utter SB lawsuits need to be made paid for lawyer fees if lost to warn the next trolling suit.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 49 of 91
    Allow a switch to avoid upgrade (and download of any firmware stuff... and any buzz to remind you to upgrade). Make it default "no upgrade". End of lawsuit (or any bakin of it). This way fragmentation will raise and people (many) stop to upgrade because "this iphone it's ok with me" end of revenue stream from upgrades. end of happynes from developer (low fragmentation and an "excuse" to sell again the same stuff with newer iOS) what apple will do?
  • Reply 50 of 91
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    1. You weren’t forced to update.

2. Old hardware can’t run new software as fast as new hardware can.

3. These people should be individually fined the full price of their phones for being this stupid.
    I agree with the first 2 points.  But with the 3rd?  You cannot blame people for being stupid
  • Reply 51 of 91
    This also applies to the iPad 2.

My mother in law just upgraded to iOS 9, although I told her to stay on iOS 7. All the reminders got to her. It still works, but noticeable slower. I wish Apple would continue to sign iOS 7 for older devices. 
  • Reply 52 of 91
    I do wish Apple would remove the nagging "update" dialog box which pops up every day.

I understand the need for security updates though. Maybe in a perfect world security updates could be deployed as a separate package. Where feature updates could be easily avoided by the user if they might change the look, feel, or performance of the device.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    This is what happens when computer industry self-indulgences collide with consumer products. The majority of consumers aren't conditioned by the rhetoric of the computer geek community. They don't accept the excuses and the special pleading. The computer industry is infantile as an industry and it's long past time to grow up. It's long past time the industry gets a spotlight directed at its ineffectiveness, inappropriate ideals, wastefulness, and planned obsolescence-as-default for so-called "progress".

Sadly, most other industries also indulge in the same practice. It's the capitalist way: make money next quarter by re-selling all the same products (cheapened for quicker/cheaper manufacture, and shorter lifespan), repeatedly, resulting in making the most ridiculous bundles of materials into a disposable item (and taking zero responsibility for the resulting waste material, feeding toxic disposal industries with reusable materials getting wasted in combustion or landfills, instead of bringing it back into the manufacturing process). It's wasteful and insane (insane because the expectation of perpetual financial growth, rather than maintaining a self-sustaining industry, is against the most basic of principles of nature/physics, and insane because it's self-destructive to our own environment that we rely on for our own existence).

Most likely, this lawsuit will go nowhere. The belief in the entrenched economics is too deeply set in place and the industries too powerful to stop in their tracks. But it would be nice if a few more people had this insanity brought to their attention. Most likely, the human race will continue like this until it extinguishes itself by exhausting all resources before learning how to properly use them like the living organisms on this planet have been doing naturally for millions of years. Human "intelligence" has excused us from any ecosystem, resulting in us destroying those ecosystems. The consequences currently being argued to inaction will become inarguable when it's too late to stop them by amending our global behaviors.

I'm not going to bother reading the consumer-blaming, technology-worshipping, capitalism-as-religion, geek apologetics replies to this article that I already observed plenty of arrogant stock/meme phrases from while merely scrolling down to the bottom of this page...

• Reply 54 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    focher said:
    I might join this lawsuit. I couldn't even get iOS 9 installed on my 3GS.
    Damn Apple what are you thinking?  iOS9 won't even install on this!  (sorry edit mode fu***d up on AI blog cannot delete the larger image!)
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Apple's chip team is getting really good and the processors they're shipping have a much longer shelf life than the A5 and A6 did. So here's one thing Apple can do in 2016: at a minimum all new iOS hardware should be 2GB RAM 32GB storage. And if they're not going to do that then don't allow 3-4 year old devices to get software updates. Ok they won't be able to show that iOS/Android pie chart slide at WWDC but so what. People care more about a phone that doesn't lag than where they are on a pie chart.
    copeland
  • Reply 56 of 91
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I am a victim of similar problem with Microsoft Windows. New windows version always ran slow on my older PC and I have benchmarks to prove. Join with me to sue Microsoft ? Oh ! how about android phones ? Can we sue Google and all phone manufacturers ? Only problem with android is Google will say we do not provide update on older phones. That is corporate policy. You want update, buy new phone.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 57 of 91
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    so is android fragmentation a feature or not ;)
  • Reply 58 of 91
    At some point tech companies have to stop supporting and investing in old dated technology.  I am not sure what the right time frame is but you cannot be everything to everybody and still push innovation and drive things forward.  The cost to support legacy systems is ridiculous.  Move along people.  Move along.
  • Reply 59 of 91
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member

dysamoria said:
    This is what happens when computer industry self-indulgences collide with consumer products. The majority of consumers aren't conditioned by the rhetoric of the computer geek community. They don't accept the excuses and the special pleading. The computer industry is infantile as an industry and it's long past time to grow up. It's long past time the industry gets a spotlight directed at its ineffectiveness, inappropriate ideals, wastefulness, and planned obsolescence-as-default for so-called "progress".

Sadly, most other industries also indulge in the same practice. It's the capitalist way: make money next quarter by re-selling all the same products (cheapened for quicker/cheaper manufacture, and shorter lifespan), repeatedly, resulting in making the most ridiculous bundles of materials into a disposable item (and taking zero responsibility for the resulting waste material, feeding toxic disposal industries with reusable materials getting wasted in combustion or landfills, instead of bringing it back into the manufacturing process). It's wasteful and insane (insane because the expectation of perpetual financial growth, rather than maintaining a self-sustaining industry, is against the most basic of principles of nature/physics, and insane because it's self-destructive to our own environment that we rely on for our own existence).

Most likely, this lawsuit will go nowhere. The belief in the entrenched economics is too deeply set in place and the industries too powerful to stop in their tracks. But it would be nice if a few more people had this insanity brought to their attention. Most likely, the human race will continue like this until it extinguishes itself by exhausting all resources before learning how to properly use them like the living organisms on this planet have been doing naturally for millions of years. Human "intelligence" has excused us from any ecosystem, resulting in us destroying those ecosystems. The consequences currently being argued to inaction will become inarguable when it's too late to stop them by amending our global behaviors.

I'm not going to bother reading the consumer-blaming, technology-worshipping, capitalism-as-religion, geek apologetics replies to this article that I already observed plenty of arrogant stock/meme phrases from while merely scrolling down to the bottom of this page...

The gist of what you're saying is fundamentally true but your perspective is nearly uniformly negative. Yes, the computer industry is still in its infancy, especially in terms of software, sensors, and new form factors. The incredible upside potential of software places an incredible amount of pressure on hardware to evolve. Delivering new software capabilities, taking advantage of new sensors, and putting a supercomputer in your pocket will continue to drive the need for more capable platforms at regular intervals. Companies that are in positions to profit from this "progress" will strive to do so like their counterparts have done in every industrial endeavor that mankind has ever faced, from farming to mining to commercial aviation to iPhones. All of these endeavors run their course until they maximize their potential or are replaced with the next better thing. Since software is infinitely morphable and so close to a pure extension of human intellect, I don't see computing platforms reaching their ultimate potential anytime soon, unless of course people stop thinking about solving problems that require even more powerful, portable, and efficient computers to solve.

I don't think it's a matter of "technology apologists" but rather basic human nature and the quest for knowledge and continuous advancement along several fronts, including job creation, financial profits, overcoming physical and cognitive obstacles, and convenience. Will basic human nature eventually be our downfall? Perhaps. Is a performance reduction with some iOS 9 apps running on an iPhone 4s a step along the path to the destruction of mankind? Perhaps not so much. 

There is an alternative that solves nearly all of the negatives that you surfaced. You can become Amish. The Amish community actively decides how it accepts and integrates any changes, including social, technological, and idealogical, into their culture. They are not technophobic or technologically unaware, heck, many Amish have been using photovoltaic arrays for lighting for quite a while. They simply recognize that all change has a cost and do not accept change until they are totally comfortable with the cost, which is tied to their values. You too can also drive a horse and buggy to work and uncouple yourself from the power and communication grid. They've been living this way for centuries and I see them every day getting along quite well. I just don't see whole societies reverting back to the Amish lifestyle anytime soon. It probably doesn't scale and what would become of the Kardashians?

edited December 2015
  • Reply 60 of 91
    People are focusing on the software but what about the hardware? iPhone 6 and 6 Plus absolutely should have come with 2GB RAM. Same with the first iPad Air. How many of these devices run poorly because Apple has been stingy with RAM?
    The 9.2.1 beta is the first one to finally fix the animation lags on the iPad Air (and I presume the Mini 2 as well). Shame it took so long. And yeah, RAM pressure is tight.