Microsoft mulling Apple TV competitor in slimmed-down Xbox One, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    Apple TV is Doomed.™

Oh wow, the official Apple TV bashing begins.  Apple will put up a fight because it has the A series chips, App store experience, developer relations and a head start.

Apple TV will not be a static product.  A product that comes out in the latter half of 2016 will go the way of the Windows phone.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    koop said:

The Nvidia Shield already fills that weird streamer/gamer roll that I don't even think exists. 

I just don't understand this market that these guys are aiming for. the hardcore "put my phone on the TV with a controller" market. 
    Exactly my thoughts. I have the Shield myself and like it more than my Roku3 to be honest (it's MUCH faster), but make little use (closer to none really) of the apparently quite capable gaming capabilities. My Xbox One commited son on the other hand barely uses the content streaming other than YouTube but found the gaming to be pretty good, real console-quality depending on the game, and actually uses it nearly everyday. So in my specific case I guess the "streamer/gamer roll" does exist, but like you I don't know there's enough to make it a success. 

In any event a device like the Shield is more along the lines of what this report was talking about IMO, not a relatively basic tho decent TV streamer like the Roku's and Apple TV's that simply weren't built for gamers except as an afterthought. Those are primarily TV boxes in their current iterations and not the kind of device MS is looking at according to the article. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 23 of 55
    It's still not even clear whether or not the Xbox division at Microsoft is profitable. I thought they were continuing to bleed money like a stuck pig.
    SEngineer
  • Reply 24 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Delsur said:
    Apple setting the bar with the new atv is laughable. The bar was already set by roku and others and atv is still below them. I have one, will be getting rid of it or giving it to the kids and staying with roku. This one sounds interesting though.
    You live in a delusional bubble all by yourself.
    williamlondonjbdragonnolamacguySEngineerapplepieguy
  • Reply 25 of 55
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    cnocbui said:
    It's funny how life doesn't always work the way you expect it might.

I bought my son an xbox 360 when he was about 8. It sparked in him an interest in games and an ambition to actually make them himself, which lead to him teaching himself Python and how to model to very high level of skill in Blender.

If MS do as proposed in the article they are foolish and it will be a flop. What they actually should do is make a slimmed down fully capable Xbone. The existing one is embarrassingly large in comparison to the PS4, which is far slimmer, more aesthetically pleasing to look at and doesn't have an enormous great hulking brick of an external power supply with it's own fan. And while they are at it they should upgrade the GPU as the existing one is pathetic for a 3rd gen console, given a lot of laptops have better ones.
    It's actually not that big. It just looks big because it's squared off. I set an original design 360 on top of it and they're nearly identical in size. And that larger size and external brick means it runs a lot cooler than the PS4. 

And they can't upgrade the GPU, that would cause compatibility issues. The power gap between the two is not as serious as devs make it out to be. Expect a lot of that gap to diminish as devs use DirectX 12 in upcoming games. 
    The power gap is roughly a 50% faster GPU, and nearly identical CPU. And it really doesn't matter that much anyway. Xbox gets a 900p upscaled version of the same game with extra sharpening and it basically looks and runs the same. If games developers are foolish enough to keep the resolutions identical, the Xbox One will suffer more framerate issues, which any of my friends who play exclusively consoles will tell you, they could care less about framerate and don't even understand it.

I wouldn't expect Sony to site idly by while Microsoft makes deep level software improvements either, as they've unlocked one of their CPU's for use over the past month. Not to mention Sony is fully capable of enabling coding closer to the metal as time goes on. 

• Reply 26 of 55
    koop said:
    It's actually not that big. It just looks big because it's squared off. I set an original design 360 on top of it and they're nearly identical in size. And that larger size and external brick means it runs a lot cooler than the PS4. 

And they can't upgrade the GPU, that would cause compatibility issues. The power gap between the two is not as serious as devs make it out to be. Expect a lot of that gap to diminish as devs use DirectX 12 in upcoming games. 
    The power gap is roughly a 50% faster GPU, and nearly identical CPU. And it really doesn't matter that much anyway. Xbox gets a 900p upscaled version of the same game with extra sharpening and it basically looks and runs the same. If games developers are foolish enough to keep the resolutions identical, the Xbox One will suffer more framerate issues, which any of my friends who play exclusively consoles will tell you, they could care less about framerate and don't even understand it.

I wouldn't expect Sony to site idly by while Microsoft makes deep level software improvements either, as they've unlocked one of their CPU's for use over the past month. Not to mention Sony is fully capable of enabling coding closer to the metal as time goes on. 

The problem is Sony's API's are somewhat inefficient already, devs have to work around the software quirks. The One has the benefit of the eSRAM but it takes a little more effort to exploit. 

Yet again Sony ends up with better HW but weaker SW. 

And it's no coincidence that DX12 is so heavily biased toward AMD performance gains. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 27 of 55
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    The eSRAM ram is an example of developers having to do a little more to get performance out of the Xbox One, where the PS4 just has straight up DDR5 and calls it a day.

I guess time will tell if you're right. I personally play AAA games on my PC so i'm out of the loop of recent developments of the console wars.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    jsmythe00 said:
    SEngineer said:
    Beging of the end for others sorry... This is no good, apple is destroying too many companies. game over
    If they don't start coming out with complete products this could easily change. Of all their products hitting the market Awatch and ATV are half baked. Definitely the ATV could have simmered another 6 months.I could easily send the ATV back and not miss it. 

its only for now, if you send it back,Im afraid sooner or later you ll buy back one...
  • Reply 29 of 55
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    It's funny how life doesn't always work the way you expect it might.

I bought my son an xbox 360 when he was about 8. It sparked in him an interest in games and an ambition to actually make them himself, which lead to him teaching himself Python and how to model to very high level of skill in Blender.

If MS do as proposed in the article they are foolish and it will be a flop. What they actually should do is make a slimmed down fully capable Xbone. The existing one is embarrassingly large in comparison to the PS4, which is far slimmer, more aesthetically pleasing to look at and doesn't have an enormous great hulking brick of an external power supply with it's own fan. And while they are at it they should upgrade the GPU as the existing one is pathetic for a 3rd gen console, given a lot of laptops have better ones.

We will just have to disagree.  I have an Xbone and having seen it alongside my son's PS4 I think it's huge.

http://i.imgur.com/8OqHmQ0.jpg

To be that much larger, have less performance and to also have a power brick at all, let alone one the size of a 1L carton of milk, is ridiculous.  I don't care if it runs cooler unless the PS4 has failure due to heat issues like the 360 did, which I am all-too familiar with.

I'm a long time Xbox user and I wouldn't recommend the Xbone over the PS4 unless you specifically want to play the Halo titles and/or Forza.

Will DirectX 12 turn on the anti-aliasing and get rid of the jaggies that are the big detractor with the bone?
  • Reply 30 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    but, but, but, but, but, AppleTV is no threat to XboxOne
    This is not an Xbox One 
  • Reply 31 of 55
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    1983 said:
    I'm sorry but TV4 is a dud! A badly conceived underpowered and over priced product that should not have been released. They should of waited at least another year to get the user experience, firmware and hardware spec right. Or have released it a year or two ago with the user experience sorted...then it would of made an impact...now its just a bad deal compared to the competition.

Waiting another year would do absolutely nothing to improve anything, especially user experience. You need to have user input to improve the experience... the only way to get that, is to release it and let users play with it. As it is, it works just fine. Is it perfect? Nope. This is basically version 1 of a new product. It'll have its quirks and they'll get sorted out with updates. Apple recently (finally) got all of their devices on the same core OS code base. That had to happen before they could do anything new with the Apple TV. Now that it is, we'll see progress being made at a much faster rate then the previous Apple TVs.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    cnocbui said:

We will just have to disagree.  I have an Xbone and having seen it alongside my son's PS4 I think it's huge.

To be that much larger, have less performance and to also have a power brick at all, let alone one the size of a 1L carton of milk, is ridiculous.  I don't care if it runs cooler unless the PS4 has failure due to heat issues like the 360 did, which I am all-too familiar with.

I'm a long time Xbox user and I wouldn't recommend the Xbone over the PS4 unless you specifically want to play the Halo titles and/or Forza.

Will DirectX 12 turn on the anti-aliasing and get rid of the jaggies that are the big detractor with the bone?
    Who cares how big it is? You're not carrying it around. 
  • Reply 33 of 55
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    cnocbui said:

I do...on my vacation.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    cnocbui said:

One does better with AA than PS4, actually. And that's nice if you can cherry pick images to make a sad point. 
  • Reply 35 of 55
    fallenjt said:
    I do...on my vacation.
    Why on earth are you taking a gaming console on vacation? 
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Delsur said:
    Apple setting the bar with the new atv is laughable. The bar was already set by roku and others and atv is still below them. I have one, will be getting rid of it or giving it to the kids and staying with roku. This one sounds interesting though.
    I have both Fire TV and ATV4. I don't know what world you're from but Fire TV beside 4K support which has limited media now, is just a inferior piece hardware compared to ATV4. Fire Remote is a joke. It can't control anything except Amazon TV. It's 2015 and you have to use 2 remotes to watch TV?...fck that shit. Oh, voice search is even more pathetic! The reason I still keep Fire TV because of Sling. Once Sling TV app is released on ATV, I throw the Fire in the trash.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    fallenjt said:
    I do...on my vacation.
    My ATV. Any more question?
    edited December 2015 williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 55
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    "Microsoft only ever copy Apple" is as tired and false a trope as "Apple is doomed".
    cnocbui
  • Reply 39 of 55
    fallenjt said:
    My ATV. Any more question?
    So what's the problem? 
  • Reply 40 of 55
    I've been saying Microsoft should do this for years. With Xbox one getting an App Store it makes sense that there's also a much cheaper mainstream box on offer that can also run the apps. However it shouldn't be marketed as Xbox though, that would just be confusing. Just call it a Microsoft TV that runs Windows 10 the same as Xbox one does.

A couple of things that could make this work for them are:
    - they already have a lot of the main apps on Xbox one
    - Xbox one game streaming to this device
    - compatibility with Xbox one controllers

It also might be a complete failure, but so could any new product. As a company that makes an os they should also be expanding into these areas. A small box is the first step and then they shout be trying to be the os on smart TVs.