Poll: What is your favorite email app for OS X?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
AppleInsider is looking for the best email application for OS X. Vote for your favorite email app and we'll tell you the winner next week.

Last week we asked our Twitter followers to nominate their favorite email applications (other than the default Apple Mail application) for OS X. It's now time for all readers to vote for the best application. The poll can be found at the bottom of this article. If you have a favorite that didn't make the list, you can add it to the poll.

Here are your top five nominees:

Nylas N1

Nylas N1 (Free) is a new, open-source email application that allows users to submit product updates. Anyone can build plugins for N1 or submit tickets to their Github page. It has Gmail support with keyboard shortcuts, important labels, and the ability to archive your mail.

Postbox

Postbox ($10.50) features a "Focus Pane" that lets you powerfully sort your mail. For example, it can show you just work messages in the last 24 hours. It integrates with Dropbox, One Drive and Box for attachments and has canned message-support.

Polymail

Polymail (Beta comes with email tracking built in. At the bottom of any message you can check the "track" checkbox and see when they open your message. It also allows your to schedule your messages to send at a later time. It is currently in private beta, but the Polymail team agreed to let AppleInsider readers test it out first. Just click here to request beta access.

Unibox

Unibox ($9.99) organizes your mail by person, not thread. It feels similar to how text messages are organized on your phone. This foundational feature makes Unibox a polarizing app; you either love it or you hate it.

Airmail

Like Nylas N1, Airmail 2.5 ($9.99) is designed to work well with Gmail. I used (and loved) Sparrow for over a year. When Alaphbet purchased Sparrow and discontinued further updates, I found Airmail as an alternative. It feels the most Sparrow-like on this list.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Another poorly designed poll—I use Apple's Mail app but it's not a choice. The poll needs an "Other" category so it becomes apparent these five are not mainstream.

Speaking of "mainstream", one of the five is a beta program... yeah, that should show up as "well used." 
    edited December 2015 lostkiwidjkfishersuperklotontallest skiluraharathepixeldoc
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I agree, Apple's Mail gets the job done, is free and works with many accounts.
    cornchiplostkiwidjkfishersuperklotontallest skilurahara
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Where is Thunderbird? Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Not a proper poll IMHO.

bonobobnapoleon_phoneapartmdriftmeyertwistedartsthepixeldoc
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Another poorly designed poll—I use Apple's Mail app but it's not a choice. The poll needs an "Other" category so it becomes apparent these five are not mainstream.

Speaking of "mainstream", one of the five is a beta program... yeah, that should show up as "well used." 
    I totally agree 
    urahara
  • Reply 5 of 39
    I like there polls but they seem to lack certain things 
  • Reply 6 of 39

Agreed... I finally liberated myself from Outlook this year and started using Apple's Mail app for my work's Exchange account. I was hoping to find some of the top Mail app alternatives here, but most of the five seem more like fringe and quirky solutions than a true slate of the top email applications.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Email needs to be overhauled. Maybe Apple, Google and MS could sponsor a convention of sorts to come up with a new messaging format. If those three buy into it and produce and support clients it would have a chance of becoming established. 
  • Reply 8 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    What a completely nutty poll this is. The vast VAST majority of OS X users run Mail as their email app. This poll is more for the malcontent and contrarian crowd that just has to use something no one else has even heard of so they can tout their superiority and tell the rest of us we’re stupid for using Mail. None of the above apps are used by any substantial number of people.
    cornchipdjkfishersuperklotontallest skilthepixeldoc
  • Reply 9 of 39
    The title of this should be "What's your favorite third-party email client for OS X?" Then, at least, it would make some sense. I think that the vast majority of OS X users are likely using Apple Mail (along with other Apple applications). While these apps may have a following, I think that they are going to be the minority of Apple users. And, even then, there are tons of posts online about good alternatives to Apple Mail for those who want that.
    superklotonzaba
  • Reply 10 of 39
    The problem I have with Mail is when I email someone a large attachment they get it but I have no record of it being sent unless I bcc myself.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    They're all POS compared to Mail.app. What's most important in the equation is your Mail Server.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    tezgno said:
    The title of this should be "What's your favorite third-party email client for OS X?" Then, at least, it would make some sense. I think that the vast majority of OS X users are likely using Apple Mail (along with other Apple applications). While these apps may have a following, I think that they are going to be the minority of Apple users. And, even then, there are tons of posts online about good alternatives to Apple Mail for those who want that.
    Nylas is a Web App POS that poses as a Mail app clone, while basic support for TLS is not in the cards. The entire project is all look and no substance. One by one those listed are javascript garbage clones of Mail that are not worthy of an Alpha status. I wouldn't pay a dime for any one of these apps.
    thepixeldoc
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Worthless poll/article.   Why is one "better" than the other?   Lame bells & whistles?  What about encryption?  Certificates?  Interoperability with various mail protocols (Yes, I still use pop/imap in addition to Exchange, gmail, and yahoo mail)? Performance with huge mailboxes?

I was hoping to find an answer when I opened this poll rather than some obscure 3rd party click bait.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    The problem I have with Mail is when I email someone a large attachment they get it but I have no record of it being sent unless I bcc myself.
    Uhh..... There is a "Sent Mail" folder that houses all of the email that you have sent to others. It's there no matter if you're using iCloud, Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc.
    thepixeldoc
  • Reply 15 of 39
    The record of it being sent is in your Sent mailbox.  If you do not get an error of undeliverable then it arrived at the other mail server. If the other person fails to retrieve it from their server, oh well.  BCC'ing yourself tells you that your mail service is working just fine, your message arrived at the server and bounced back to you. 
    superkloton
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Google Inbox is by far the best.  I haven't used a Desktop client since Gmail was in beta...
  • Reply 17 of 39
    So we're all agreed then -- the poll is a big hit!
    superkloton
  • Reply 18 of 39
    friedmud said:
    Google Inbox is by far the best.  I haven't used a Desktop client since Gmail was in beta...
    Say what....

“Google isn’t just a search engine; it’s a provider of email, document storage, videos, phone service, and numerous other capabilities. What they all have in common is Google’s legendary contextual advertising—that’s how Google makes money. And the more Google services you use, the more personal data the company has about you that can be used to target ads with ever greater precision. Make no mistake about it: every search, every YouTube video viewed, every email read contributes to Google’s personal profile on you, to be used for the express purpose of displaying targeted ads.”
    superkloton
  • Reply 19 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I don't see the point of these polls which will obviously favor the embedded Apple apps. Why not just do a review round up?
    superklotonthepixeldoc
  • Reply 20 of 39
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I wonder if they'll blame the lack of Mail.app as an option as "machine error" again...