So what was all this outrage for the happy mac about?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just came round to installing the Jag. Haven't tried it yet (my iBook's actually still puffing away at disc two), but I have seen the boot screen.

Now what's so bad about that?

I remember, it was one of the first threads I posted in, that there was some uproar about the passing of the happy mac, which I frankly don't understand.

At least this beats the crappers out the old picasso theme my parents still see on their Performa 630 (system 7.x).

And for those who have a portable mac: it's nicely the inverted apple from the outer shell.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    "Happy Mac" was a piece of Mac history.

A friendly face in a PC jungle, a piece of nostalgia.

The older Mac users will miss the little guy because he's an icon of an age when the Mac was king compared to windoze machines.

In my book the Mac still IS king, but walk into a PC superstore and you'd think again!?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That's my thought on happy Mac. It's time for "Return of the happy Mac"

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Long live Happy Mac!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>At least this beats the crappers out the old picasso theme my parents still see on their Performa 630 (system 7.x).</strong><hr></blockquote>He's close! But no cigar!!

The Happy Mac screen was displayed on ALL Macs. The Picasso Mac was displayed *after* the Happy Mac in the window with the "Welcome to Macintosh" message in systems until Mac OS 8.

So, your parents do still see the Happy Mac.

I used to have a Perform 638. Good machine that was.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    They could've kept the little "happy Mac" icon, however they could've spruced it up and updated it with the cool aqua style. Instead of bit-mapped and chunky, nice and smooth and glassy-looking?

• Reply 4 of 7
    It could have been neat to have your Mac say hello to you instead of a Color Classic (It looked more like a Color Classic than an original Mac to me ). I'll miss Happy Mac, but it's not exactly the end of the world. Frankly, I've never thought much of the Finder icon/janus/"cubist" Mac logo myself. I can't wait for that to go and be replaced by something a little more, uh, appropriate for the "Finder." Now that you can actually find stuff with it, it seems like the next logical step.

Aye, poor Happy Mac. I knew him well.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    First they killed DogCow, now Happy Mac. Bastards!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    do you want to replace the apple in 10.2 ?

<a href="http://www.resexcellence.com/bootimage/"; target="_blank">HARHAR !!!</a>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>He's close! But no cigar!!

The Happy Mac screen was displayed on ALL Macs. The Picasso Mac was displayed *after* the Happy Mac in the window with the "Welcome to Macintosh" message in systems until Mac OS 8.

So, your parents do still see the Happy Mac.

I used to have a Perform 638. Good machine that was. </strong><hr></blockquote>

You're also close! But still no cigar! The blue "MacOS" logo first appeared not in OS 8, but in OS 7.6. Before OS 7.6, all of the Mac operating systems were called "system (whatever)". So system 7.5 had the Picasso Mac, but OS 7.6 had the MacOS logo.