Apple's 'iPhone 7' lineup said to be waterproof, sport new antenna-concealing tech

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    If they want me to buy an iPhone 7...it better haver more than waterproofing and a new antenna. I get a new iPhone every year...just because ....the 6S was not much of an upgrade for me over the 6. If they go with a polymer case, that's even more discouraging...Is Apple running out of technology ideas?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    I hardly ever think of the antenna bands because mine's in the Apple leather case...

Guy at the Apple Store told me I should consider a case for my 6 when I was last in getting it replaced for a faulty mute switch (it had a few scuffs etc). I have never used or wanted a case, but I went over and tried on an Apple leather case. The biggest issue to me is that with the raised edges, you can no longer swipe from the edge of the screen to go back/forward, which they purposely made a main navigation feature in iOS prior to the larger screen size making it near impossible to reach the back button one-handedly. Seriously that would drive me nuts. 
  • Reply 23 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lmagoo said:
    If they want me to buy an iPhone 7...it better haver more than waterproofing and a new antenna. I get a new iPhone every year...just because ....the 6S was not much of an upgrade for me over the 6. If they go with a polymer case, that's even more discouraging...Is Apple running out of technology ideas?

Huh? The last phone had what, 10 upgrades on it. Other company haven't caught up with what they did 2 years ago. Man, people are really blase..
    macky the macky
  • Reply 24 of 39
    lmagoo said:
    There's only so much you can do, short of removing the Home Button, to radically change the exterior design of the iPhone. For the most part, it comes to better materials, making it more comfortable to hold, innovating on the hardware technologies, software, & services.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    foggyhill said:
    lmagoo said:

Huh? The last phone had what, 10 upgrades on it. Other company haven't caught up with what they did 2 years ago. Man, people are really blase..
    Apple can do one upgrade that people like myself have been asking for years: Increase the battery life so we can take off the battery case and view the true beauty of this phone. Until then, I'll stick with new, innovative Stacked Wireless Charging System for iPhone (http://www.poweredbystacked.com) and the Apple Smart Battery Case.
    macky the macky
  • Reply 26 of 39
    sog35 said:
    All I want is for them to figure out a way to get rid of that ugly plastic antenna strip on the back and make a truly all metal iPhone. That's all..
    you should quit staring at the back of your phone.
    Just when I get tired of your rants about Wall Street and Apple, you end up making a spot-on comment that is just hilarious.

And as for the antenna lines complaints - form follows function, people.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 27 of 39
    jfc1138 said:
    Waterproof? Not likely. Water resistant? Maybe.
    Well that's always the case isn't it? "Resistant@ because there are always limits. My Rolex dive watch was "resistant" to 300 meters iirc. 
    Even cabinets designed to protect your company's documents from a fire are rated by "resistance" and not called fire proof.

The tests for a UL class C fire resistant cabinet included burning it at a higher temperature that a fire burns, for longer then a usual fire rages, and then dropping it 30 feet into brick rubble and burning it again upside-down at an even higher temperature. If it survives at that without the interior temperature exceeding a preset temperate at which paper can remain unharmed, then it is STILL called "fire resistant."

• Reply 28 of 39
    lmagoo said:
    Welcome to the forum with your post number three.

Your lack of imagination of what Apple may use for a case is appalling. For example, Apple owns the exclusive rights to use Liquid Metal in their products. This is a metal ceramic that it transparent to radio waves. Apple has been studying this material for a number of years. There are, of course, many other possible materials besides polymers.

Just because you haven't heard of what Apple is doing, doesn't mean Apple has ran out of ideas. Additionally, any selection for materials has both positive and negative gains. Everything, including metals have compromises.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    tenly said:
    If they do somehow figure out how to design a completely waterproof iPhone, do we think the price of AppleCare will decrease or do we think that Apple will continue to charge the same price and just enjoy higher profit margins on it because of significantly fewer claims?
    First of it won't be "waterproof" it will be "water-resistant." Secondly, that which makes it harder for water to get in will likely make it harder to be repaired, so I wouldn't expect to see AppleCare prices change any time soon. Finally, the more rugged something is made to be, the more users will push the envelope. 
  • Reply 30 of 39
    i am saving money to buy iphone 7 because i don't want to waste time after its released, i was searching specs on Google and find this on appleinsider.com and here http://homeshopping.pk/products/Apple-iPhone-7-Price-in-Pakistan.html
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 31 of 39
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    tenly said:
    If they do somehow figure out how to design a completely waterproof iPhone, do we think the price of AppleCare will decrease or do we think that Apple will continue to charge the same price and just enjoy higher profit margins on it because of significantly fewer claims?
    First of it won't be "waterproof" it will be "water-resistant." Secondly, that which makes it harder for water to get in will likely make it harder to be repaired, so I wouldn't expect to see AppleCare prices change any time soon. Finally, the more rugged something is made to be, the more users will push the envelope. 
    Firstly.  It will in fact be waterproof - not water resistant!  This is a purely hypothetical premise which I created.  You've got no business changing the parameters of it.  I said "*IF*" they are able to design a "completely waterproof" phone.  This is imaginary!!!  How can you claim that my imaginary situation is wrong?  It's in *MY* imagination - not yours.  If I said, imagine a 9" IPhone would your correct me and say it's only 8.5"?  Never mind - I'm guessing you probably would!  Secondly - I don't think it automatically follows that a waterproof phone is more difficult to repair.

if there are as many instances of phones being dropped in toilets, puddles and lakes as we are led to believe, then I think they would in fact lower the costi of Apple Care since they'd have far fewer claims to pay out.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    fallenjt said:
    All I want is for them to figure out a way to get rid of that ugly plastic antenna strip on the back and make a truly all metal iPhone. That's all..
    90% users have case on the phone. As much as I didn't like these lines, they didn't bother me since I bought the phone. However, I believe that Apple will match the antenna band color with the chassis in the next model.
    I actually have a case on my 6s mostly BECAUSE I really don't like the antenna lines… Go figure. :)
  • Reply 33 of 39
    People dropping their phones in the toilet is a real thing.  ;)  I know several people who did this (I was not one of them).
    I've heard that the number one and number two repair reasons for iPhones are:

1) drunk and dropped on pavement (screen smashed)
    2) drunk and dropped in toilet (waterlogged)

I've seen this multiple times from different sources so although anecdotal, it seems likely to be true to me.  
    Of course staying sober and in control of one machinery would also be a solution. 
    Drunkenness was not a factor in either of the instances to which I was referring.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lmagoo said:
    Welcome to the forum with your post number three.

Your lack of imagination of what Apple may use for a case is appalling. For example, Apple owns the exclusive rights to use Liquid Metal in their products. This is a metal ceramic that it transparent to radio waves. Apple has been studying this material for a number of years. There are, of course, many other possible materials besides polymers.

Just because you haven't heard of what Apple is doing, doesn't mean Apple has ran out of ideas. Additionally, any selection for materials has both positive and negative gains. Everything, including metals have compromises.
    Apple cannot use Liquid Metal on the Apple Watch, because Swatch has an exclusivity deal for LM use on watches. 
  • Reply 35 of 39
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    tenly said:
    tenly said:
    Firstly.  It will in fact be waterproof - not water resistant!  This is a purely hypothetical premise which I created.  You've got no business changing the parameters of it.  I said "*IF*" they are able to design a "completely waterproof" phone.  This is imaginary!!!  How can you claim that my imaginary situation is wrong?  It's in *MY* imagination - not yours.  If I said, imagine a 9" IPhone would your correct me and say it's only 8.5"?  Never mind - I'm guessing you probably would!  Secondly - I don't think it automatically follows that a waterproof phone is more difficult to repair.

if there are as many instances of phones being dropped in toilets, puddles and lakes as we are led to believe, then I think they would in fact lower the costi of Apple Care since they'd have far fewer claims to pay out.
    Wow!  Run out of refills on your Xanax?
  • Reply 36 of 39
    roakeroake Posts: 811member

i am saving money to buy iphone 7 because i don't want to waste time after its released, i was searching specs on Google and find this on appleinsider.com and here http://homeshopping.pk/products/Apple-iPhone-7-Price-in-Pakistan.html
    Just for giggles, I took a look at this list of imaginary specifications (which means we can't talk about them, right Tenly?).  Anyway, only the guess that Apple may offer a 256gb storage option seems to have any merit.  I'm pretty darned certain that they will not be using iOS 9 or an A9 (quad core or otherwise) in the iPhone 7.  I wonder if whomever created that post was nonplussed by completely missing the iPhone 6S predictions and simply changed "6S" to "7".

I don't think the pico-projector is coming anytime soon.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    The iPhone 6 is the ugliest iPhone ever made. Those tacky lines and the protruding camera, along with the awkward form factor. Looking forward to a better designed 7!
  • Reply 38 of 39
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    roake said:

Just for giggles, I took a look at this list of imaginary specifications (which means we can't talk about them, right Tenly?).  Anyway, only the guess that Apple may offer a 256gb storage option seems to have any merit.  I'm pretty darned certain that they will not be using iOS 9 or an A9 (quad core or otherwise) in the iPhone 7.  I wonder if whomever created that post was nonplussed by completely missing the iPhone 6S predictions and simply changed "6S" to "7".

I don't think the pico-projector is coming anytime soon.
    I don't think you understood my post.  I posted a question with hypothetical and imaginary parameters.  Somebody else posted a "correction" to my imaginary parameters!  That's the height of arrogance - to think you can correct something that is completely imaginary to start with!

Go ahead and talk about whatever you want - real or imaginary - if it's your post.   Just don't "revise" or "correct" a purely hypothetical question posted by someone else.  Start your own thread if you have a different question.