Microsoft mulling Apple TV competitor in slimmed-down Xbox One, report says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Good for them, but when will they come up with an original idea, they're making a living lately following apple.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    cnocbui said:
    It's actually not that big. It just looks big because it's squared off. I set an original design 360 on top of it and they're nearly identical in size. And that larger size and external brick means it runs a lot cooler than the PS4. 

And they can't upgrade the GPU, that would cause compatibility issues. The power gap between the two is not as serious as devs make it out to be. Expect a lot of that gap to diminish as devs use DirectX 12 in upcoming games. 
    We will just have to disagree.  I have an Xbone and having seen it alongside my son's PS4 I think it's huge.

http://i.imgur.com/8OqHmQ0.jpg

To be that much larger, have less performance and to also have a power brick at all, let alone one the size of a 1L carton of milk, is ridiculous.  I don't care if it runs cooler unless the PS4 has failure due to heat issues like the 360 did, which I am all-too familiar with.

I'm a long time Xbox user and I wouldn't recommend the Xbone over the PS4 unless you specifically want to play the Halo titles and/or Forza.

Will DirectX 12 turn on the anti-aliasing and get rid of the jaggies that are the big detractor with the bone?
    From what I understand the ps4 has a much higher failure rate over the Xbox. Still nothing like the original 360s issues though.

Personaly as someone who never moves there console, I prefer the Xbox ones design to every other console. It's perfectly silent, but more importantly it doesn't stand out. Every other console before it has had some sort of distinctive shape that screams "I'm a games console" that belongs on a kids bedroom rather than your main living room. The Xbox one at least just looks like an oversized DVD player.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    From what I understand the ps4 has a much higher failure rate over the Xbox. Still nothing like the original 360s issues though.

What do you mean "from what I understand"?  Do you have documented proof of this, or just something you are saying because you purchased an xbone?
    cnocbui
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Sorry but the ATV4 absolutely did not set the bar for streaming and games. That was done by the Amazon Fire TV a year ago, of which the ATV4 is just a non-4K capable "look me too" clone. It's not a bad product, it's just not the ground breaking high water mark that sentence implies it to be. 

As for a slimmer Xbox One, I can see MS releasing a slimmed down disc-free version with a 1TB hard drive that is meant solely for digital downloads and content streaming without the built in cable box pass thru and control functionality of the current model, but there's no reason for them to launch a gimped version that can't handle full games. The PlayStation Now/PS Vita TV project has been a colossal dud for Sony, and not something anyone, especially MS, would be inclined to copycat. 
    Microsoft is already being killed by Sony in console sales, do you really think they will hurt the XB1 even more by having their streaming box be able to run all of the One's games? Not a chance. At most it will run Xbox & 360 games plus Xbox Live indie titles. I highly doubt they release games like the new Tomb Raider or Halo 5. No one buys XB1 for the TV/entertainment features so giving full gaming capabilities to a cheaper hardware products completely cuts its legs out from under it. 
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Sorry but the ATV4 absolutely did not set the bar for streaming and games. That was done by the Amazon Fire TV a year ago, of which the ATV4 is just a non-4K capable "look me too" clone. It's not a bad product, it's just not the ground breaking high water mark that sentence implies it to be. 

As for a slimmer Xbox One, I can see MS releasing a slimmed down disc-free version with a 1TB hard drive that is meant solely for digital downloads and content streaming without the built in cable box pass thru and control functionality of the current model, but there's no reason for them to launch a gimped version that can't handle full games. The PlayStation Now/PS Vita TV project has been a colossal dud for Sony, and not something anyone, especially MS, would be inclined to copycat. 
    Microsoft is already being killed by Sony in console sales, do you really think they will hurt the XB1 even more by having their streaming box be able to run all of the One's games? Not a chance. At most it will run Xbox & 360 games plus Xbox Live indie titles. I highly doubt they release games like the new Tomb Raider or Halo 5. No one buys XB1 for the TV/entertainment features so giving full gaming capabilities to a cheaper hardware products completely cuts its legs out from under it. 
  • Reply 46 of 55
    jfanning said:

What do you mean "from what I understand"?  Do you have documented proof of this, or just something you are saying because you purchased an xbone?
    Why would I have documented proof?

And by "from what I understand" I mean, based on reporters in the gaming industry reporting on the games insudstry. Whenever there's been something written or talked about on a podcast in regards to the console sizes and reliability of each, what has been said is that the ps4 has a higher fault rate than the Xbox one. But it's not like the original Xbox 360 which had a high enough level of failure to actually be classed as a design fault.

As for ownership of consoles, I'm afraid this has offered me no insight into the matter. I've had both for roughly a year and they both still work. Other people I know that have both, have said the ps4s controller isn't as well made as the Xbox one, but then 1 of our work xboxs controllers has a trigger that sticks, so I'm not overly sure there's a massive difference. Everything ultimately breaks if it gets dropped enough.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    jfanning said:

And by "from what I understand" I mean, based on reporters in the gaming industry reporting on the games insudstry. Whenever there's been something written or talked about on a podcast in regards to the console sizes and reliability of each, what has been said is that the ps4 has a higher fault rate than the Xbox one. But it's not like the original Xbox 360 which had a high enough level of failure to actually be classed as a design fault.

As for ownership of consoles, I'm afraid this has offered me no insight into the matter. I've had both for roughly a year and they both still work. Other people I know that have both, have said the ps4s controller isn't as well made as the Xbox one, but then 1 of our work xboxs controllers has a trigger that sticks, so I'm not overly sure there's a massive difference. Everything ultimately breaks if it gets dropped enough.
    Under these circumstances, it is common practice to include a link to one or more of your sources. This proves that you didn't just makeup your information and allows us to evaluate the credibility of your source.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mr. me said:
    jfanning said:

Under these circumstances, it is common practice to include a link to one or more of your sources. This proves that you didn't just makeup your information and allows us to evaluate the credibility of your source.
    While I'm sure this isn't what the OP was referencing I still find it shocking how well the Xbone survived this ridiculous test. 
    http://www.neowin.net/news/durability-test-xbox-one-versus-ps4-which-one-survives

• Reply 49 of 55
    mr. me said:

You do realise this is a discussion forum and we're not giving evidence in a court case. Not to mention you can pretty much find a link to an article supporting any side of any opinion. It's the Internet with people talking that you've never met, you either believe stuff as it sounds right or not if it sounds wrong. Hence I phrased my comment as "it's my understanding", I've no access to Sony or microsofts internal data to do my own comparison but I've heard it stated by enough different people to have a general belief that it's true.

Anyway the most recent time I heard it said was on ign's playstation podcast about a month ago. Alternatively if you want to be more certain I'd suggest googling it and doing your own research as even if i or someone else provided links to support the claim you wouldn't know how many others there could be saying the opposite.

Given that (as mentioned I'm my original comment) neither console have failure rates anywhere near what the 360 had when it came out, I'm not sure it matters any more than which it more reliable out of an iPhone 6 or 6 plus. However to be clear I don't have any evidence that either is actually reliable and don't have 90% failure rates. It's just my understanding of the matter, for all I know I may have missed a load of articles stating that they had both been really badly made and mine are so far an anomaly which will break in the next few months.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    supadav03 said:

He's saying they would release a cheaper slimmer Xbox one. It wouldn't matter if it reduced sales of the original Xbox one as its still an Xbox one. No different to the current scenario that you can get an Xbox with or without Kinect.

Ultimately it will happen, they always release slimmer consoles when they can reduce the heat that's generated. For 1 it makes it fit in a smaller box which reduces the shipping costs.

I think it will still have the disk drive though. It's not an expensive part and disks seem to be important to a lot of people.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    supadav03 said:

He's saying they would release a cheaper slimmer Xbox one. It wouldn't matter if it reduced sales of the original Xbox one as its still an Xbox one. No different to the current scenario that you can get an Xbox with or without Kinect.

Ultimately it will happen, they always release slimmer consoles when they can reduce the heat that's generated. For 1 it makes it fit in a smaller box which reduces the shipping costs.

I think it will still have the disk drive though. It's not an expensive part and disks seem to be important to a lot of people.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Delsur said:
    Apple setting the bar with the new atv is laughable. The bar was already set by roku and others and atv is still below them. I have one, will be getting rid of it or giving it to the kids and staying with roku. This one sounds interesting though.
    Right on the money.  I have a Roku and the ATV4 (which I got for free).  I turn on the ATV4 once in a while to see if the Apple podcast app or the Time Warner TV app has shown up yet...and then turn it off.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 53 of 55
    lkrupp said:
    Delsur said:
    Apple setting the bar with the new atv is laughable. The bar was already set by roku and others and atv is still below them. I have one, will be getting rid of it or giving it to the kids and staying with roku. This one sounds interesting though.
    You live in a delusional bubble all by yourself.
    No, I'm with him.  Roku has Angry Birds.  ATV4?  Nope.  ATV4 Netflix does not have category selection like the Roku app does.  ATV4 just doesn't have it.  Tim Cook is just throwing crap out there thinking it will take off just because Apple's name is on it.  Not sure there is any real incentive for developers to write for ATV4 due to monetization issues.

The remote is the most horrible piece of crap ever made.  Stupid touchpad!  DPAD far superior!

There are two things I like about the ATV4:  1. Volume control on the remote which autoconfigured for my TV.  2.  Using Siri to move forward and backward in YouTube and other video apps.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Really Microsoft? You've already neutered the Xbox One by shipping it 20-30% slower than PS4. Now you decide to go after the PlayStation Vita TV? (Yeah, look it up, not selling well for Sony at all.)

Microsoft is trying, I have to give them that. But they're still the same company that has repeatedly missed the boat. They launched the Zune to compete with iPod literally a month before iPhone appeared and wiped the iPod from the planet.