Ford to bring Apple's CarPlay to all Sync 3-equipped 2017 vehicles

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Leading up to the start of CES, Ford on Monday announced that all 2017 vehicles equipped with Sync 3 infotainment systems will bake in support for CarPlay and Android Auto, offering deep smartphone integration to both iOS and Android device owners.

Starting with the all-new Escape crossover, Sync 3-equipped vehicles can connect with a driver's iPhone to access Maps, Messages, Phone, Music and Siri features directly on a built-in touchscreen or through steering wheel controls. CarPlay will also be available to owners of 2016 model year cars with Sync 3 in a forthcoming software update.

Introduced in 2014, Apple's CarPlay automotive connectivity platform designed to access and present iPhone's data, sensor and communications capabilities through in-car OEM hardware. Ford pledged support for CarPlay last April, but did not specify an official launch window.

"SYNC allows customers to bring the smartphone technology they're comfortable with into a vehicle and use it without hassle," said Don Butler, Ford's executive director of Connected Vehicle and Services. "With SYNC, we move at our customers' pace - making it easy for them to maintain a connected lifestyle no matter their choice of smartphone, apps or services inside and outside their vehicle."

As expected, both CarPlay and Android Auto are secondary interfaces to Sync 3's BlackBerry QNX-based operating system. For drivers with iPhones, the iOS-inspired CarPlay UI appears automatically when the device is plugged in via USB.

In addition, Ford plans to introduce in-car 4G LTE technology with Sync Connect later this year, allowing smartphone access to vehicle functions like remote start, unlock doors and check fuel levels. The system also helps guide owners to their parked vehicle using GPS data.

Finally, the American auto giant will add a clutch of new software offerings to its AppLink platform, including a AAA/CAA app, Concur for business trip logging, Eventseeker for surfacing live music and Cityseeker for discovering nearby points of interest. Ford is taking aim at the Chinese market with a Tencent Chelian app that offers access to the popular QQ messaging service, music, real-time traffic and streaming audio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I rented a Ford Escape and every time I started the car with my phone in the USB port it automatically started playing my music alphabetically by title. It was EXTREMELY annoying to keep my phone charged and I wasn't going to spend my vacation trying to figure out how to make it stop.

Auto makers need to stay out of my phone and I'd rather have zero integration than poor integration.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I think it sucks that all these companies held up integration with CarPlay to give Google time to copy and catchup. Their solution was unpopular and unused but iPhone users were forced to suffer because of it. 

lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 15
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    How many people didn't know that MSFT's efforts to develop an interface would be a total crap fail?  
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Phone integration with Auto is must and will get their. May not be soon enough for many like me who want to buy new auto but holding out for most important feature, deep phone connectivity with auto console.. Manufacturers like Ford,GM, Honda etc are front runner while Toyota and few others are waiting for God's signal or till to see their market share erode by those who do support some form of phone connectivity. I agree that function or feature if supported than should work as expected. People buy and keep car every decade or more. So I would not buy any new vehicle unless it has tighter CarPlay/Android integration to a point where simple functions like Map,Music,Cal/text, Calendar/Appointment,door lock/unlock/status works flawlessly. Moreover, one should also be able to turn on/off phone-to-auto features selectively so if driver wants phone map to work with auto console but same time don't want phone music or receive incoming text/phone on console because of other passengers in car than that should work accordingly.. You tell "Siri" to turn on/off features and that will be nirvana to phone-auto marriage.
    edited January 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I rented a Ford Escape and every time I started the car with my phone in the USB port it automatically started playing my music alphabetically by title. It was EXTREMELY annoying to keep my phone charged and I wasn't going to spend my vacation trying to figure out how to make it stop.

Auto makers need to stay out of my phone and I'd rather have zero integration than poor integration.
    Haha, I rented a 2015 Ford Escape over the holidays and was impressed by what a disaster the infotainment system was. Basically a big budge on the dash loaded with buttons that made no intuitive sense -- horrible for a rental car where the drive has to familiarize themselves with the systems quickly. The steering wheel media controls were equally as perplexing. And I did take some time to try and figure it out one day.

I noticed the same USB issue as well. The same thing actually happens with a Jensen head unit I had too, and I'm not sure there's a way to fix it without a software update. I did not have that problem with Bluetooth, on either system, though BT on the Escape was as difficult to initialize as USB or anything else.

The tiny backup display was also a joke. I didn't even realize I had one, and when I finally saw it, I laughed. And then I cried when I realized I was supposed to use that tiny non-touch screen to navigate the radio settings using the bizarre button layout layout on the bulbous dashboard console.

• Reply 6 of 15
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member

There is a way. I had to search on the web. Basically, navigate to the screen that lets you select the audio source and then select just about anything other than user device. I leave finding the menu penetration sequence to find that screen up to the student. 

I am sad to hear that the newer Sync systems are still a disaster. I have a 2010 Mercury with the old MS Sync. I have been satisfied with the car and thinking of getting a new ford car, but I keep hearing these horror stories about Sync. 
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I think Toyota will announce their commitment to Car Play/Android Auto by the end of 2016 after watching enough people walk off the showroom floor. 

It seems like the various vehicles from the major car companies that sell in the highest volume tend to all be pretty much the same as the competition these days. Features like Car Play/Android Auto might become more important to a purchaser than things like brand loyalty, style points, or other reasons they purchase a particular vehicle. 

I see Toyota regretting their decision to go with SmartDeviceLink.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 8 of 15
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    It still sounds like this upcoming implementation will be wired. It's supposed to work so that the car detects when you're close to it and trigger alerts/reminders you set with your iPhone. Not good enough Ford.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Automakers are scrambling to offer connectivity to their increasingly tech-savvy consumer base. In the past, infotainment systems developed by automakers had a bad rap for being difficult to use or becoming quickly out of date. Here something good news - Toyota Cars Will Be Equipped With Ford's Software. Toyota just signed up. And Honda, Mazda, Peugeot Citroën, and Subaru are considering adding the software too. Japanese automaker Toyota Motor Co. will use software developed by Ford Motor Co. in its cars to give drivers command and control of smartphone apps through dashboard buttons, display screens and voice recognition tech. Automotive suppliers QNX Software Systems and UIEvolution also are adopting the technology and plan to integrate it into their products, Ford says. And more automakers, including Honda, Mazda, PSA Peugeot Citroën, and Subaru, may follow.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 10 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wood1208 said:
    Here something good news - Toyota just signed up. And Honda, Mazda, Peugeot Citroën, and Subaru are considering adding the software too. Japanese automaker Toyota Motor Co. will use software developed by Ford Motor Co. in its cars to give drivers command and control of smartphone apps through dashboard buttons, display screens and voice recognition tech. Automotive suppliers QNX Software Systems and UIEvolution also are adopting the technology and plan to integrate it into their products, Ford says. And more automakers, including Honda, Mazda, PSA Peugeot Citroën, and Subaru, may follow. Automakers are scrambling to offer connectivity to their increasingly tech-savvy consumer base. In the past, infotainment systems developed by automakers had a bad rap for being difficult to use or becoming quickly out of date.
    Car makers are so slow to adopt tech their customers have demanded for years.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jm6032 said:

There is a way. I had to search on the web. Basically, navigate to the screen that lets you select the audio source and then select just about anything other than user device. I leave finding the menu penetration sequence to find that screen up to the student. 

I am sad to hear that the newer Sync systems are still a disaster. I have a 2010 Mercury with the old MS Sync. I have been satisfied with the car and thinking of getting a new ford car, but I keep hearing these horror stories about Sync. 
    The problems with MFT were overblown, it's been solid since 2014. Some people just don't like 'different' (the types who cried when the Start Menu went away in Windows). Sync 3 is even better.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    mac_128 said:

Haha, I rented a 2015 Ford Escape over the holidays and was impressed by what a disaster the infotainment system was. Basically a big budge on the dash loaded with buttons that made no intuitive sense -- horrible for a rental car where the drive has to familiarize themselves with the systems quickly. The steering wheel media controls were equally as perplexing. And I did take some time to try and figure it out one day.

I noticed the same USB issue as well. The same thing actually happens with a Jensen head unit I had too, and I'm not sure there's a way to fix it without a software update. I did not have that problem with Bluetooth, on either system, though BT on the Escape was as difficult to initialize as USB or anything else.

The tiny backup display was also a joke. I didn't even realize I had one, and when I finally saw it, I laughed. And then I cried when I realized I was supposed to use that tiny non-touch screen to navigate the radio settings using the bizarre button layout layout on the bulbous dashboard console.

Disaster? Ford's system is simple to use. How are 4 quadrants labeled Navigation, Entertainment, Climate, and Phone difficult to understand? The steering wheel controls are simple too. They are clearly labeled as volume and the voice button for voice commands. Bluetooth difficult to initialize? All you do is hit the button that says Bluetooth under the entertainment screen. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 13 of 15
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

It only does that if you haven't selected a playlist or specific song to listen too. All you had to do was change the song on your phone or select a playlist, Not very difficult to do. It's not the automakers fault people are clueless sometimes. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 14 of 15
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jm6032 said:

The problems with MFT were overblown, it's been solid since 2014. Some people just don't like 'different' (the types who cried when the Start Menu went away in Windows). Sync 3 is even better.
    people didnt complain about the start menu going away because it was "different". we complained because it detracted from Windows usability. didnt you watch that video where it took a guy's dad 20 minutes to find how to load a program (or whatever the task was)? not all new changes are for the better. see this forum software for an example -- decreased functionality and usability in the name of new.
    edited January 2016