Toyota chooses Ford over Apple, will eschew CarPlay in favor of SmartDeviceLink

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Aw that sucks.  I probably will be buy within the next 6 months, so it doesn't really matter, but maybe future iterations will have a USB port that we can link up with.  I have never seen CarPlay.  My dad's Acadia has pretty sweet integration, but only through a USB cable.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Haha, I guess no toyota in the near future... Toyota picked the wrong player, even Ford is picking CarPlay/AndroidAuto
  • Reply 23 of 45
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    Didn't Ford just announce today that it was implementing Apple CarPlay support in 2016 vehicles with firmware upgrades for current new vehicles. 

Toyota, your timing sucks. Are you actually talking to Ford about what they are prepared to support?

http://news.investors.com/business/010416-787912-ford-adds-apple-carplay-android-auto-to-sync-enabled-cars.htm?ven=yahoocp,yahoo&src=aurlled
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 24 of 45
    This would certainly appear to be a decision based not on the best interest of users/customers, but on something Toyota feels is more important. What ever that is, this is a FAIL.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    gatorguy said:
    I don't know. . . To me it makes kinda makes sense. Doesn't Ford's open-source SmartDeviceLink work with pretty much all the mobile platforms? I realize the only two at the moment with any market-share are Android and iOS but I can see why they might want to cover all the bases. On top of that it allows them to differentiate from other auto OEM's, whether that ends up as a good or bad thing. It still works with iOS (or Android) so it's not as tho they're rejecting them. 

Anyway, Toyota is far from the only manufacturer that may end up using SmartDeviceLink. Honda, Subaru, Citroën, Mazda and others are also considering it going forward. 
    The problem I see is that auto companies haven't the faintest idea how to design a UI for anything. All you have to do is look at their owner's manual to see that they have a difficult time describing how to us manual controls. The thing that Apple is good at (and a lot better than auto manufacturers) is figuring out how to make a UI/GUI that's actually usable by the majority of people. I really don't care if Ford's SmartDeviceLink is supposed to work with all mobile platforms, it's the device the mobile platforms are working with that bothers me. I'd rather Ford, and the others, simply provide the hardware I/O and basic api's for all their automated hardware and let a third-party design the UI. In other words, Ford provides the cable connectors and Apple and others provide the hole for an iPad with I/O hardware. Something similar to the oversize tablet Tesla uses. All these navigation systems are extremely expensive and don't provide anything I'd ever want to pay for. 
    [Deleted User]mac fan
  • Reply 26 of 45
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    netrox said:
    Thank you Toyota. CarPlay needs to go. We need an interface that interacts with a variety of platforms, not be restricted to a certain platform. And while I am an Apple guy, I want to be able to use an interface whenever I use a non-iOS device.
    thast doesnt make sense. when youre not using an iOS device, you use whatever the other system is. but when im using an iOS device, i want to use its quality UI rather than a crappy carmaker's UI.
    edited January 2016 mac fan
  • Reply 27 of 45
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    gatorguy said:
    Toyota is far from the only manufacturer that may end up using SmartDeviceLink. Honda, Subaru, Citroën, Mazda and others are also considering it going forward. 

Honda is rolling out CarPlay on most of its 2016 models, so I wouldn't hold out hope of them switching to SmartDeviceLink anytime soon.
  • Reply 28 of 45

A point that seems lost to some of the commenters is that CarPlay and Android Auto are not replacements for the car's in-dash infotainment system; they are in an addition to it and allow access to a subset of apps on your smartphone thru the in-dash touchscreen.  You may choose to use CarPlay, for example, to stream Pandora for music or Maps for navigation. However, you’ll be hard pressed to find a car that has a touchscreen and doesn’t have a built-in infotainment system (i.e. you’re paying for the infotainment system whether you use it or not)

[Deleted User]
  • Reply 29 of 45
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    "but right now we prefer to use our in-house proprietary platforms for those kinds of functions"

No surprise there. Auto manufacturers have their heads up their collective asses when it comes to infotainment. Every system I've used is slow and confusing to operate. BMW is doing the same thing because they want control over your dash (they don't want an Apple or Android screen replacing their own, even if it's only when the user requests it).
    BMW having control over the dash might be a good thing - if they could do it. My own experience doesn't support that notion. The iPod playback system in my 2012 5-series (F10) locks up about once a week. BMW dealer says that this is normal, and that they don't support "old devices". Actually, the car is older than the iPod. Same thing happens to an iPhone 4 that I sometimes use, although much less frequently. The car just "disconnects" it. The car runs well but the entertainment system has all the charm of Windows (and an older version at that).
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Thank you Toyota, you've just eliminated yourself even more so as a potential purchase in 2-3 years when I enter the car buying market again. Wasn't enough you had recall after recall, now you want to side with shit software too?

Good on you!
    Toyota's US operations CEO has been making a lot of really questionable decisions.
    You actually think the USA CEO made this decision? You are dead wrong buddy. In fact, he is probably more pissed than anybody else is.
    [Deleted User]mac fan
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Another desperate grab by an automaker who doesn't seem to understand dictating in vehicle communications options will only come back to harm themselves. Instead of fighting CarPlay and AndroidAuto, these morons should get a leg up on others by embracing it.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is why Apple makes their own s***.

I bet a lot of these UIs will copy CarPlay features/designs.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    My current Toyota is the last Toyota I will ever buy. I love my truck but when your infotainment center keep crashing/restarting few times every drive It doesn't matter how good the car is. On top of that no future CarPlay! Hopefully by the time I need new car there will be more CarPlay support from others.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    ktappe said:
    gatorguy said:
    Toyota is far from the only manufacturer that may end up using SmartDeviceLink. Honda, Subaru, Citroën, Mazda and others are also considering it going forward. 

Honda is rolling out CarPlay on most of its 2016 models, so I wouldn't hold out hope of them switching to SmartDeviceLink anytime soon.
    He's just dreaming. In his secret fantasy, Apple loses.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    netrox said:
    Thank you Toyota. CarPlay needs to go. We need an interface that interacts with a variety of platforms, not be restricted to a certain platform. And while I am an Apple guy, I want to be able to use an interface whenever I use a non-iOS device.
    CarPlay support isn't exclusive. The car infotainment system will work with your Bluetooth/USB connected phone. The system can also support Android Auto, CarPlay, and legacy BT/USB connectivity if the manufacturer choose to. The problem with infotainment systems is they are slow, laggy... well they are shit. This is why many want CarPlay and Android Auto instead of the crappy systems they currently have.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ktappe said:
    gatorguy said:

He's just dreaming. In his secret fantasy, Apple loses.
    You're being silly. B)

Where you see Apple's Carplay you'll also find Android Auto. Auto manufacturers that offer one also offer the other. If Apple were to "lose" so would Google.  But that's not what is happening here. In the case of OEM's using SmartDeviceLink users on neither platform lose because both iPhone and Android smartphones are compatible with it. To me it's no big deal. 
  • Reply 37 of 45
    rayboraybo Posts: 42member
    I think SDL is better - the controls built into all cars can control any device - I think this is the standard we need - If you haven't yet, watch the video... 

[Deleted User]
  • Reply 38 of 45
    We bought a 2015 Toyota Highlander. I wish we hadn't. He infotainment system and gps is abysmal. I mean abysmal. I don't know what these automakers have in designing something like this. Let the professionals design it and the consumer choose. it's really poor decision making. 
  • Reply 39 of 45
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member

A point that seems lost to some of the commenters is that CarPlay and Android Auto are not replacements for the car's in-dash infotainment system; they are in an addition to it and allow access to a subset of apps on your smartphone thru the in-dash touchscreen.  You may choose to use CarPlay, for example, to stream Pandora for music or Maps for navigation. However, you’ll be hard pressed to find a car that has a touchscreen and doesn’t have a built-in infotainment system (i.e. you’re paying for the infotainment system whether you use it or not)

I'm glad at least one person understands what this all means. SmartDeviceLink implementation has to do with the car's built-in infotainment system and nothing to do with CarPlay. Lack of CarPlay support from Toyota is a separate decision. Ford chose SmartDeviceLink, Android Auto & Apple CarPlay. This allows the maximum number of compatible devices.

Another site had a quote from Toyota, "A $200 phone shouldn't dictate which $40,000 car you buy." Unfortunately, the Toyota person that said it seems to know little about car sales. Its like saying that no one buys a car based on its color or the number of cup holders it has.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 40 of 45
    I'm pretty satisfied with the interface on my 15 Nissan Murano. Chock full of tech, and the controls make sense.