Honeywell debuts Lyric Round thermostat for HomeKit, Polar ships iPhone-compatible Balance smartsca

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Honeywell on Monday announced a new HomeKit-ready thermostat, the Lyric Round, while Polar launched an iPhone-connected weight scale, the Balance.

The Lyric Round is Honeywell's first HomeKit-compatible device. The product connects to a home's Wi-Fi network, and from there can be controlled using Honeywell's app or simply Siri voice commands.

It lights up whenever it detects nearby motion, and owners can make use of direct touch controls when an iOS device isn't nearby. Like some other smart thermostats, it can adjust temperature automatically based whether or not a user is home, and trigger alerts about problems like filter changes or indoor temperature spikes.

Currently the Lyric Round can be prordered for $249.99, with the first deliveries expected to hit by the end of January.

The Polar Balance is a relatively straightforward scale, measuring only in pounds or kilograms rather than including more advanced data like bodyfat percentages. The upside is sync with Polar's Flow app and Web service, allowing people to set goals, monitor progress, and get suggestions on whether to adjust diet or increase exercise.

Unlike some smartscales the Balance uses Bluetooth Smart instead of Wi-fi, and is therefore dependent on syncing with the Flow app or else a compatible Polar fitness tracker. At the moment that includes the V800, M400, Loop 1, and Loop 2, but not the A360, which should be supported later this quarter.

The Balance can store up to 10 separate users, and is already on sale in black or white for $99.95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    "Unlike some smartscales the Balance uses Bluetooth Smart instead of Wi-fi, and is therefore dependent on syncing with the Flow app or else a compatible Polar fitness tracker."

So not Apple's 
    health kit?
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 10
    All very well and good, but roughly half of all thermostats installed prior to the 1980's (and most are still in use today) are pneumatic and not electric.  Especially in Apartment buildings.  
  • Reply 3 of 10
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    All very well and good, but roughly half of all thermostats installed prior to the 1980's (and most are still in use today) are pneumatic and not electric.  Especially in Apartment buildings.  
    and? this is a product announcement for consumers who can use an electric thermostat. 

having a Nest and not being happy about their being bought by Google, but liking it's round design and circular usage, makes this an interesting announcement to me.
    jbdragonacaltabiano
  • Reply 4 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jfc1138 said:
    "Unlike some smartscales the Balance uses Bluetooth Smart instead of Wi-fi, and is therefore dependent on syncing with the Flow app or else a compatible Polar fitness tracker."

So not Apple's health kit?
    It doesn't say.  The Flow app could very well use HealthKit and provide some information into Health.app
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Not to threadcrap but my local electric company will give you a free Smart Thermostat and install it for free. I just got the Ecobee 3 installed by SGD&E for free.
    latifbp
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    tomhayes said:
    Not to threadcrap but my local electric company will give you a free Smart Thermostat and install it for free. I just got the Ecobee 3 installed by SGD&E for free.
    That's nice, I'd jump on that deal myself if I could.

• Reply 7 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    "This does nothing for Apple's stock! Where the hell is Cook?" -sog
    nolamacguyacaltabianocornchiplevi
  • Reply 8 of 10
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Honeywell, the aspiring Samsung of thermostats.
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 10
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    tomhayes said:
    Yes, but did they get you the home kit version, or the non home kit version?

• Reply 10 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    eightzero said:
    "This does nothing for Apple's stock! Where the hell is Cook?" -sog
    I know you're joking, but it ought to do wonders for the stock long term. I mean who else is building out such a deep ecosystem? It's insane and it's going to be both very hard for people to leave (assuming they would want to) and also very attractive to join. The critics can troll all they want about how all these things Apple is building out aren't "successes", but who else has anything close?

*crickets*

its clearly all part of a 10-20 year plan that very few seem able to see.