Apple Pay picks up 58 new US card issuers, approaches 1,000

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Tuesday updated the list of U.S. Apple Pay card issuers with 58 more financial institutions, putting the company over the 900 mark and within sight of hitting 1,000 later this year.

The expanded list includes a mix conventional banks and credit unions, as has become standard for Apple. There don't appear to be any major additions, with most of the new entries being highly localized.

The bulk of Apple Pay expansion efforts remain focused on the U.S., even with the service also present in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom. It will come to Hong Kong, Singapore, and Spain later this year however, as well as mainland China thanks to a deal with China UnionPay.

The full list of new U.S. issuers includes:

• Air Academy Federal Credit Union
  • Ballston Spa National Bank
  • Bank of Commerce
  • BankFive
  • BNA Bank
  • Capital Area Federal Credit Union
  • Citizens National Bank
  • Comenity Bank
  • CommonWealth One Federal Credit Union
  • Community Business Bank
  • Community State Bank
  • CoreFirst Bank & Trust
  • Damascus Community Bank
  • Denison Bank
  • Diablo Valley Federal Credit Union
  • Electrical Federal Credit Union
  • Financial Center First Credit Union
  • First State Bank of Arcadia
  • Florence Savings Bank
  • "FNB Bank, N.A."
  • Fox Communities Credit Union
  • Franklin Synergy Bank
  • Fulton Bank of New Jersey
  • "Fulton Bank, N.A."
  • Hercules Credit Union
  • HFS Federal Credit Union
  • Iberville Bank
  • Inspirus Credit Union
  • Isabella Community Credit Union
  • Lafayette Ambassador Bank
  • Landmark Bank
  • Latino Community Credit Union
  • Linn Area Credit Union
  • Machias Savings Bank
  • Maps Credit Union
  • McCoy Federal Credit Union
  • Mercantile Bank
  • Nicolet National Bank
  • Ontario-Montclair School Employees Federal Credit Union
  • Pacific Marine Credit Union
  • Palmetto Citizens Federal Credit Union
  • Pen Air Federal Credit Union
  • Platinum Bank
  • Red Rocks Credit Union
  • Rockland Trust
  • Saginaw Medical Federal Credit Union
  • Simmons Bank
  • StonehamBank
  • Swineford National Bank
  • Texas Bank and Trust
  • The Columbia Bank
  • The Evangeline Bank & Trust Co
  • The First National Bank of Mount Dora
  • The National Bank of Indianapolis
  • Valliance Bank
  • Wauchula State Bank
  • West Central Bank
  • Westmark Credit Union

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Ah... THAT explains why the stock keeps plummeting!  /s
    cornchipjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 32
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    And how many new retailers? Oh zero? Gotcha.

The reach of Apple Pay makes no difference with 3 banks or 1000. Until POS terminals accept Apple Pay everywhere that they accept the cards...its still a niche feature with no momentum.
    gonevwlkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 32
    1,000 in the USA, virtually none anywhere else.  

So successful!  :)

And we get treated to a new tech "article" on every major Apple related site every single time a bank or a card is added to the list (as if this is really news).  
  • Reply 4 of 32
    pmz said:

The reach of Apple Pay makes no difference with 3 banks or 1000. Until POS terminals accept Apple Pay everywhere that they accept the cards...its still a niche feature with no momentum.
    Agree with this - the issue at this point (at least in the US) is that there aren't a lot of retailers with upgraded terminals.  I try and use it everywhere I can though.  Really love Apple Pay.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    gonevwgonevw Posts: 45member

And we get treated to a new tech "article" on every major Apple related site every single time a bank or a card is added to the list (as if this is really news).  
    Apple Pay works 90% of retailers in Canada
    jbdragonlostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 32
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    pmz said:

It does make a difference. The banks have to add support before the merchants can update their terminals. Maybe Apple users are just so spoiled that they've become impatient or the reality distortion field does exist, because some of you think that just because the tech is made available it should become immediately ubiquitous. iBeacons, Apple Pay, Car Play, etc. These are platforms that have a physical (real world) component that needs to be adopted and proliferate. For all the whining about these things, it makes me wonder why people can't understand why Apple likes to control the entire experience. These are clear cut examples of how technologies progress outside of a vertically integrated experience.
    cornchipjbdragonlostkiwiredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    pmz said:

Agree with this - the issue at this point (at least in the US) is that there aren't a lot of retailers with upgraded terminals.  I try and use it everywhere I can though.  Really love Apple Pay.
    I also try to use it wherever I can. The security aspect alone makes it worthwhile.
    cornchipfreshmakerjbdragonlostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 32
    It *is* nice to know when particular banks start supporting Apple Pay, particularly if one is waiting to hear when their card is finally supported. (For example, I'm anxiously waiting for Nordstrom to support Apple Pay.) Hopefully these repeated articles about banks supporting Apple Pay will encourage more businesses to add/activate support. I make it a point to use Apple Pay wherever it's accepted and ask merchants when (not if) they'll be accepting Apple Pay whenever it's not accepted. I'm amazed how many places still haven't upgraded their terminals to require chip cards, so my guess is support for Apple Pay will be coming (likely by default) as businesses realize the liabilities involved in continuing to accept swiped cards and upgrade their hardware.
    cornchipjbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 32
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    This "should" be the year for Apple Pay in the US since the roll out of new chip enabled cards is starting to pick up steam. Since the new standard went into effect in Nov/Dec, cards and terminals have been shipping to many merchants. Keeping fingers crossed as the US is finally starting to catch up to the rest of the world in card security. 
    jbdragonlostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 32
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    STILL not working at Home Depot (I tried yesterday). They have enabled their chip-readers (finally!) but not Apple Pay.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    pmz said:

The reach of Samsung Pay makes no difference with 90% of terminals accepting it. Until banks everywhere adopt Samsung Pay and allow your cards to work with it...it's still a niche feature with no momentum.

There. fixed it for you.
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 32
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    plovell said:
    STILL not working at Home Depot (I tried yesterday). They have enabled their chip-readers (finally!) but not Apple Pay.
    Funny thing is that it used to work at Home Depot. I still have a transaction in my history from last April. It didn't work when I went to use it this past autumn. Also, Rite Aid accepts, but still asks for a PIN if I use my debit card. Ugh!
  • Reply 13 of 32
    fh-ace said:
    This "should" be the year for Apple Pay in the US since the roll out of new chip enabled cards is starting to pick up steam. Since the new standard went into effect in Nov/Dec, cards and terminals have been shipping to many merchants. Keeping fingers crossed as the US is finally starting to catch up to the rest of the world in card security. 
    Unfortunately, one doesn't necessarily result in the other. I've been to plenty of stores over the holidays that have the chip readers but don't activate the NFC part of the terminal. Most disappointing was Macy's who was a partner at the start and now didn't accept Apple Pay while I was Christmas shopping.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    mjtomlin said:
    pmz said:

It does make a difference. The banks have to add support before the merchants can update their terminals. Maybe Apple users are just so spoiled that they've become impatient or the reality distortion field does exist, because some of you think that just because the tech is made available it should become immediately ubiquitous. iBeacons, Apple Pay, Car Play, etc. These are platforms that have a physical (real world) component that needs to be adopted and proliferate. For all the whining about these things, it makes me wonder why people can't understand why Apple likes to control the entire experience. These are clear cut examples of how technologies progress outside of a vertically integrated experience.
    One has nothing to do with the other. Credit card PROCESSING is handled by separate providers. Sometimes banks, but more often not. More banks issuing cards that support Apple Pay is nice, but until the stores implement and activate the equipment and service, it doesn't matter one bit.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    Bank Diablo, finally!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    I'm a small business and my new Pay Square reader just got here. I'll be funneling my clients into using Pay.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 17 of 32
    plovell said:
    I've noticed that as well, and find it interesting.  I had thought that most terminals capable of accepting EMV cards also had NFC support, but maybe not (or maybe they just haven't enabled it yet).  Much prefer EMV over mag stripe, but am still hopefully they get Apple Pay soon.  I shop at Home Depot pretty frequently lol
  • Reply 18 of 32
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    latifbp said:
    I'm a small business and my new Pay Square reader just got here. I'll be funneling my clients into using Pay.
    What if they resist and don't want to use it? 
  • Reply 19 of 32
    The situation seems better in Europe (well UK and Czech Republic that I have knowledge of) where a large number of retailers have contactless payment terminals, so regardless of whether they are specifically setup for Apple Pay, it just works, though limited to the regular contactless payment amounts. I've used my UK bank card in stores in the Czech Republic (where no banks support Apple Pay yet) with no issues. It does make me realise however how useful the Apple Watch would be, as it's not that much different to use your phone as opposed to a contactless card. Is the security still the same when you're not using an actual Apple Pay terminal, i.e. is the phone still using a unique number rather than the actual card number?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    gonevw said:

Apple Pay works 90% of retailers in Canada
    Bullshit.  You're just quoting the percentage of "tap to pay" terminals.  That's not the same thing at all.  

Apple pay works with retailers that support only ONE card, (Amex) and only if that card is issued by Amex corporation (outside of Canada) and not a bank.  There is not one single bank in Canada that is "on board" with Apple pay.  Not one.  Same for Australia.  Another words the only support is for American cards, not Canadian ones. 

So, no banks support it and no Canadian issued cards work with it.  Also, neither or the two major credit cards that between them do over 90% of the credit on planet Earth (VISA & MasterCard) work with it.  To call that "90% support" is a joke.     

Almost no retailers in Canada support Amex.  Certainly none of the small ones or the ones you actually use day by day.  Even places like Whole Foods, which were one of the earliest adopters of the technology in the USA, don't support Apple Pay in Canada because they don't support Amex.  

As an Amex card owner I can also say that it's pretty much the card that you hardly ever use except for big purchases and trips anyway.  I use my VISA all day every day, I use my Amex once or twice a year.  This is the way it is for most people (those who even have an Amex card that is).