Apple Pay picks up 58 new US card issuers, approaches 1,000

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Ok, great! So now can we add some more cards? I still have several from supporting banks that wont work with Apple Pay. Some of my Chase cards do, other don't. How about we work on fixing that? Also, to echo statements made by many others, lets work on getting it accepted at more places. Personally, I'd love to see Target and Publix board the Apple Pay train.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    THD is as close as a contract to supporting Apple Pay.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    gonevw said:
    Apple Pay works 90% of retailers in Canada
    Bullshit.  You're just quoting the percentage of "tap to pay" terminals.  That's not the same thing at all.  

Apple pay works with retailers that support only ONE card, (Amex) and only if that card is issued by Amex corporation (outside of Canada) and not a bank.  There is not one single bank in Canada that is "on board" with Apple pay.  Not one.  Same for Australia.  Another words the only support is for American cards, not Canadian ones. 

So, no banks support it and no Canadian issued cards work with it.  Also, neither or the two major credit cards that between them do over 90% of the credit on planet Earth (VISA & MasterCard) work with it.  To call that "90% support" is a joke.     

Almost no retailers in Canada support Amex.  Certainly none of the small ones or the ones you actually use day by day.  Even places like Whole Foods, which were one of the earliest adopters of the technology in the USA, don't support Apple Pay in Canada because they don't support Amex.  

As an Amex card owner I can also say that it's pretty much the card that you hardly ever use except for big purchases and trips anyway.  I use my VISA all day every day, I use my Amex once or twice a year.  This is the way it is for most people (those who even have an Amex card that is).  
    Well, it works at 90% of places if you have a US issued bank card and it would be trial to implement if Canadian banks allowed it.
    The issue is on the bank side, the Interac consortium is obviously playing Hard Ball with Apple. They have a nice little monopoly going there...
  • Reply 24 of 32
    I am glad that the local Chevron now uses Apple Pay. Gas stations were notorious for being hacked by skimmers.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 25 of 32
    The situation seems better in Europe (well UK and Czech Republic that I have knowledge of) where a large number of retailers have contactless payment terminals, so regardless of whether they are specifically setup for Apple Pay, it just works, though limited to the regular contactless payment amounts. I've used my UK bank card in stores in the Czech Republic (where no banks support Apple Pay yet) with no issues. It does make me realise however how useful the Apple Watch would be, as it's not that much different to use your phone as opposed to a contactless card. Is the security still the same when you're not using an actual Apple Pay terminal, i.e. is the phone still using a unique number rather than the actual card number?
    I use my Apple Watch to make payments all day every day in Prague, Czech Republic (with a couple different American cards).  Yes, the Apple Pay security is the same on any contactless terminal. Your real card number is not transmitted.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    gonevw said:
    Apple Pay works 90% of retailers in Canada
    Bullshit.  You're just quoting the percentage of "tap to pay" terminals.  That's not the same thing at all.  

Apple pay works with retailers that support only ONE card, (Amex) and only if that card is issued by Amex corporation (outside of Canada) and not a bank.  There is not one single bank in Canada that is "on board" with Apple pay.  Not one.  Same for Australia.  Another words the only support is for American cards, not Canadian ones. 

So, no banks support it and no Canadian issued cards work with it.  Also, neither or the two major credit cards that between them do over 90% of the credit on planet Earth (VISA & MasterCard) work with it.  To call that "90% support" is a joke.     

Almost no retailers in Canada support Amex.  Certainly none of the small ones or the ones you actually use day by day.  Even places like Whole Foods, which were one of the earliest adopters of the technology in the USA, don't support Apple Pay in Canada because they don't support Amex.  

As an Amex card owner I can also say that it's pretty much the card that you hardly ever use except for big purchases and trips anyway.  I use my VISA all day every day, I use my Amex once or twice a year.  This is the way it is for most people (those who even have an Amex card that is).  

Quit being pedantic. It's obvious the poster was simply stating that terminals in Canada are ready to accept Apple Pay, as NFC and tap to pay are common here. This contrasts with the US where NFC terminals are far less common. 
  • Reply 27 of 32
    uphilluphill Posts: 62member
    I think that "90% of retailers in Canada" is a bit of an exaggeration, but it is indeed surprising how many places here in Canada actually accept Apple Pay - even with only one issuing bank, American Express, supporting it. Chip-and-pin terminals are almost ubiquitous "up" here, and a large proportion of them are "tap-to-pay" machines as well. About half of the retailers where I have used Apple Pay in the past few weeks have been surprised to learn that they do indeed accept it. Apple Pay is wonderful. It's very quick, and I am so pleased that I don't have to carry so many cards around with me. My credit card number is not even stored in my iPhone!
    edited January 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Great, now if they could only pick up 58 more retailers to support Apple Pay we'd be in good shape. 

It would be nice if I could use it at the gas station at the pump. Recently my credit card was skimmed at one. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 29 of 32
    uphill said:
    I think that "90% of retailers in Canada" is a bit of an exaggeration, but it is indeed surprising how many places here in Canada actually accept Apple Pay - even with only one issuing bank, American Express, supporting it. Chip-and-pin terminals are almost ubiquitous in here, and a large proportion of them are "tap-to-pay" machines as well. About half of the retailers where I have used Apple Pay in the past few weeks have been surprised to learn that they do indeed accept it. Apple Pay is wonderful. It's very quick, and I am so pleased that I don't have to carry so many cards around with me. My credit card number is not even stored in my iPhone!
    90% is an exaggeration the actual number is 75% as of February 2015. I use contactless payment for the majority of m payments
  • Reply 30 of 32
    uphilluphill Posts: 62member
    Prof Peabody posted: "There is not one single bank in Canada that is "on board" with Apple pay.  Not one."

That's true at the moment - but the manager of my (Canadian 
    chartered) bank was rather interested when I told him I would probably not be using their Master Card much any more until I could use it with Apple Pay and that they should try to catch up with the times. And with American Express! It is also true that Amex is not accepted at all Canadian merchants. But I have been very surprised at just how many places I have been able to use Apple Pay. And I am letting the other merchants know that I am choosing their competitors where possible because I prefer the ease and security of Apple Pay.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 31 of 32
    1,000 in the USA, virtually none anywhere else.  

So successful!  :)

And we get treated to a new tech "article" on every major Apple related site every single time a bank or a card is added to the list (as if this is really news).  
    Nobody's forcing you to read them.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I love these people complaining about lack of merchants supporting Apple Pay. LOL Before New Year's Eve, I went to a small, local grocery store for some items. Small, with three locations. I was surprised to see they accept Apple Pay. I used it from my Apple Watch... twice. PEOPLE... APPLE PAY IS AVAILABLE IN MANY MORE PLACES THAN YOU REALIZE! Get out and start looking. Stop waiting for the internet to tell you where you can use it, as you'll be waiting a VERY long time. Major retailers are going to be the slowest to roll it out.