Kanye West slams Apple partner Nike, pimps Kim Kardashian's Kimoji app in 'Facts' diss track

Posted:
in General Discussion
The 2016 edition of producer-turned-rapper-turned-designer Kanye West's annual New Year's Eve drop took the form of a diss track aimed squarely at longtime Apple partner Nike, while Yeezus also seized the opportunity to promote his wife's Kimoji app that he claims "shut down the App Store."

Kanye asserted his dominance from the start, claiming that his Yeezy line -- manufactured in conjunction with Adidas -- "jumped over Jumpman," referencing the famous logo used by Nike's Air Jordan line. He goes on to say that Nike "wouldn't have nothin'" without their collaborations with fellow hip-hop artists Drake and Don C, the latter a close Kanye collaborator.

This logic is suspect at best given Nike's utter domination of the sportswear market, especially in the U.S. The company is several times larger than Adidas by revenue, and the gulf only continues to widen.

Nike is also the only sportswear firm -- though no longer the only clothing maker -- to have an official partnership with Apple, a company that West has repeatedly held up as the gold standard of creativity. He once, apparently seriously, described himself as the "Steve Jobs of The Gap":

"When I say Steve Jobs of the Gap, as I talk to the people at the Gap right now I'm not talking about a capsule," he told Vogue. "I'm talking about full Hedi Slimane creative control of the Gap is what I would like to do."

The Apple-Nike relationship dates back to the early days of the iPod and has only deepened in recent years, with Apple chief executive Tim Cook sitting on the Oregon footwear giant's board of directors.

West thankfully took a moment out of Facts to discuss his wife's foray onto Apple's App Store, where she has had runaway successes with her Kim Kardashian: Hollywood and Kimoji apps:

Plus Kimoji just shut down the app store, uh!
And we made a million a minute, we made a million a minute
(We did)
Yeah, we made a million a minute, we made a million a minute, ah!

While AppleInsider cannot speak to the veracity of West's financial claims, Kimoji's impact on App Store operations does seem to be overstated. Apple subsequently denied that the App Store experienced any problems at all, let alone any caused by a rush of Kimye's fans.

It's also worth noting that while Facts can't be streamed on Apple Music, the track is likewise unavailable on Jay-Z-backed Tidal -- a service in which West is a major shareholder.
cornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    This guy is funnier than Trump 
    cornchiplostkiwiwlym
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Loser.
    wlym
  • Reply 3 of 14
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    nolamacguycornchipawilliams87wlym
  • Reply 4 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Pinhead.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I wish this narcissistic bozo would sod off already!
    cornchipwlym
  • Reply 6 of 14
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Nothing but another PR stunt that unfortunately will make him millions more than he already has. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    This clown is such a tool. So a company with a market cap of almost $100 billion is only surviving due to the sales of several shoes? What a moron. I wish this idiot would just disappear. 
    cornchipwlym
  • Reply 8 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    "FACTS"? What a clown.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Jumped over jumpman"????

WTF? No way his shoes are selling nearly as much as Jordan's. Does anyone know he has shoes?

"Kimoji"

I can't believe people are stupid enough to pay for this crap.

AI is really pushing it on what Apple news is but regardless this guy generates the hate comments haha.($$)

This is a real cheapshot at Kanye considering it was a completely made up gag about him that people took literally.
    You wouldn't like it if someone fabricated something about you and people ran with it every time they wanted to tease you. This wasn't even a parody of an incident just completely made up.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    This is a real cheapshot at Kanye considering it was a completely made up gag about him that people took literally.
    You wouldn't like it if someone fabricated something about you and people ran with it every time they wanted to tease you. This wasn't even a parody of an incident just completely made up.
    He does like fish sticks though...
    freediverxwlym
  • Reply 11 of 14
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    "wouldn't have nothing"...
    Well, it wouldn't be the same without some retarded double negative in there.

If he could just throw in a "I could care less" to really prove he has no clue over the English language, that would really top it off.

The problem is that he believes himself and his low IQ fans believe it too. This is a role model in a world of technological breakthroughs and unbelievable science.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I guess not living in the US of A has its advantages. Thankfully I'm not bombarded by this crap, or his wife's crap. And by crap I just refer to the publicity binge. I am not an avid follower of rap so I have no idea how good his stuff is.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Surely Kanye West is mentally ill.
    freediverx
  • Reply 14 of 14
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    cali said:
    "Jumped over jumpman"????

WTF? No way his shoes are selling nearly as much as Jordan's. Does anyone know he has shoes?

"Kimoji"

I can't believe people are stupid enough to pay for this crap.

AI is really pushing it on what Apple news is but regardless this guy generates the hate comments haha.($$)

Everyone understands it's just a joke, except Kanye, which is the joke.