Apple acquires facial recognition, expression analysis firm Emotient - report

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has reportedly acquired Emotient, makers of artificial intelligence software that analyzes facial expressions to determine the subject's emotional state.

Emotient's technology was used primarily in the advertising and marketing industry, according to the Wall Street Journal. It has also been tested in the medical field for pain analysis.

Emotient's website touts the technology's ability to capture direct emotional response from customers:

Uses for emotion recognition and analysis are as varied and expansive as the imagination of our customers. Wherever there are cameras there can be video analysis of expressions, and an opportunity to learn about the customer's state of mind as they emotionally respond to marketing, product and service experiences.

The cost of the acquisition remains unknown, but Apple as much as confirmed it to the Journal with a boilerplate response.

The acquisition of San Diego-based Emotient comes just over four months after Apple picked up Faceshift, a Swiss company specializing in image-based three-dimensional motion capture. In 2010, Apple purchased Swedish facial recognition firm Polar Rose.

Apple's intentions are not immediately clear, but the scale of its ambition seems to be beyond that of the simple facial recognition features built into iPhoto. The company has previously explored security-related uses for such technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Everyone always imagines extremes when it comes to uses for this technology....

...Apple will probably create a feature in Messages where you make a face, and it captures and converts it into an instant emoji.
    teejay2012jackansiProf_Peabodyargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 22
    pmz said:

...Apple will probably create a feature in Messages where you make a face, and it captures and converts it into an instant emoji.

That is a cool idea actually.
    jackansi
  • Reply 3 of 22
    pmz said:

If it determines you look drunk, it will lock out your email and ability to upload/send photos. :D
    lkruppjackansimacky the macky
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    sog35's head must be exploding. can't wait to read the rants today about how bad cook is doing. getting the popcorn ready.
    jackansimacky the macky
  • Reply 5 of 22
    mac_dog said:
    sog35's head must be exploding. can't wait to read the rants today about how bad cook is doing. getting the popcorn ready.
    Markets were bouncing back earlier today but not anymore. Fitbit is down 30% YTD.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    mac_dog said:
    If they didn't ban his Sog35 account when they banned his alias, I give him 12 more hours before he un-self-bans.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Maybe Apple can use this technology to gauge investor reaction to its share price.  /Sog
    wonkothesaneargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jackansi said:
    mac_dog said:
    If they didn't ban his Sog35 account when they banned his alias, I give him 12 more hours before he un-self-bans.
    They banned his alias? XD
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    For me, this all but guarantees a FaceTime camera on the Watch, which will detect whether a user is looking at the watch, when the watch detects a movement which would otherwise turn on the backlight. It will also maintain the backlight as long as the user is looking at the watch, and likewise turn it off faster, as soon as the user is not looking at the watch. At least if not gen 2, then gen 3. This tech will be effective on the iPad and iPhone as well, though to a lesser extent necessary.
    edited January 2016 jkichlineradarthekatargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 22
    mac_128 said:
    For me, this all but guarantees a FaceTime camera on the Watch, which will detect whether a user is looking at the watch, when the watch detects a movement which would otherwise turn on the backlight. It will also maintain the backlight as long as the user is looking at the watch, and likewise turn it off faster, as soon as the user is not looking at the watch. At least if not gen 2, then gen 3. This tech will be effective on the iPad and iPhone as well, though to a lesser extent necessary.
    Apple is a very prudish and conservative company though and they spend a lot of time worrying about their image.  

FaceTime camera on Apple Watch == a boon for upskirt and other surreptitious photography.  
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple makes sure we all stay on the Christian path etc.   :s
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 11 of 22
    pmz said:

I'm just waiting for the stupid and probably inevitable ... "Facial recognition unlock!" comment, by those too steeped in science fiction to understand science fact. 
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Apple is a very prudish and conservative company though and they spend a lot of time worrying about their image.  

FaceTime camera on Apple Watch == a boon for upskirt and other surreptitious photography.  
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple makes sure we all stay on the Christian path etc.   :s
    I don't buy this argument in any way. There's no way someone would not know a person was sticking their ARM under someone's skirt. And to the extent they are somehow oblivious, a person can do exactly the same thing with an iPhone already. Of course, maybe that's the real reason Apple abandoned the 3.5" iPhone, and there's no truth to the rumors that a new smaller phone is coming. ;-) In addition to that, there are already smart watches on the market with cameras, and these kinds of reports have not been circulating. The reports of this kind of thing happening have been with tiny bluetooth "spy cameras", mirrors on people's shoes (which are then photographed using the iPhone), and iPhones under bathroom stalls. The latter of which are typically quickly spotted and reported (which is why we know about them). 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Of course determining facial expressions is a hot area for Virtual Reality so that your avatar can mirror your expressions.  There are also Artificial Intelligence uses for this.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    pmz said:

That is a neat idea, but if that technology is ever implemented getting a poo emoji will never be the same.
    argonaut
  • Reply 15 of 22
    mac_128 said:

I don't buy this argument in any way. There's no way someone would not know a person was sticking their ARM under someone's skirt. And to the extent they are somehow oblivious, a person can do exactly the same thing with an iPhone already. Of course, maybe that's the real reason Apple abandoned the 3.5" iPhone, and there's no truth to the rumors that a new smaller phone is coming. ;-) In addition to that, there are already smart watches on the market with cameras, and these kinds of reports have not been circulating. The reports of this kind of thing happening have been with tiny bluetooth "spy cameras", mirrors on people's shoes (which are then photographed using the iPhone), and iPhones under bathroom stalls. The latter of which are typically quickly spotted and reported (which is why we know about them). 
    Perhaps you're right.  
    I would still argue that Apple will add some kind of light or loud "picture taking sound" to it though.  
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Great, another useless Gimmick like Force touch....  Force touch is slower than just using the app the old way... 
    Guess I have to go take a dump and show the camera my pile to get the poo emoticon. 
  • Reply 17 of 22
    samnosamno Posts: 12member
    it may find use in autonomous transportation and if you combine body sensory data with facial expressions it can tell a lot about whats going on.. medical field will also be able to leverage that
  • Reply 18 of 22
    pmz said:

If it determines you look drunk, it will lock out your email and ability to upload/send photos. :D
    Furthermore, your car won't start and your iPhone will call the police on you. Man, the future is gonna be rough!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    pmz said:

I'm just waiting for the stupid and probably inevitable ... "Facial recognition unlock!" comment, by those too steeped in science fiction to understand science fact. 
    Is there something unrealistic about facial recognition that I'm missing out on?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    Furthermore, your car won't start and your iPhone will call the police on you. Man, the future is gonna be rough!
    Call the police for being drunk? Yikes