iOS 8 makes it easier to access desktop websites in Safari

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48

People wouldn't prefer the desktop version if it didn't work better. Most mobile sites appear to be designed for phones. 

• Reply 42 of 48
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    clexman wrote: »
    About time. You could set the default "Browser ID" on blackberrys a long, long time ago. It was better than this option that doesn't work all the time.

Chrome on iOS has also had the "request desktop site" option for as long as I can remember.

I've been using it for years on iOS. "There's an app for that".
  • Reply 43 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I make websites, and I believe the proper thing to do is make them responsive, ie. dynamically adapt to screen size by adjusting layout. Noone wants to browse a site with 5 columns on their phone. Comes down to useability. What works on a 20"+ screen wont work on a smartphone screen. 

Muse is cool for doing that, I am now building three adapted versions of every site I build and it is easy with Muse ... God I hate praising Adobe lol
  • Reply 44 of 48
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

I wonder if this function will work on responsive sites which query the size of display using the viewport meta tag instead of using the user agent string.

• Reply 45 of 48
    I can't stand how web developers think we need mobile versions of web sites. this isn't 1997 and I'm not using a wap browser on a 320 by 480 pda. let me have what I pay for. screen resolution on phones are just about equal to monitors and panning is even easier on a touch screen so browsing the web works fineand iit's only getting better. quit reversing progress.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    I can't stand how web developers think we need mobile versions of web sites. this isn't 1997 and I'm not using a wap browser on a 320 by 480 pda. let me have what I pay for. screen resolution on phones are just about equal to monitors and panning is even easier on a touch screen so browsing the web works fineand iit's only getting better. quit reversing progress.
    slurpy said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidc View Post

Yay!! For the life of me I don't understand sites that create a "mobile optimized" version that removes functionality!!!!

I make websites, and I believe the proper thing to do is make them responsive, ie. dynamically adapt to screen size by adjusting layout. Noone wants to browse a site with 5 columns on their phone. Comes down to useability. What works on a 20"+ screen wont work on a smartphone screen. 

I'm pretty sure no one wants you to do what you're doing. everyone hates mobile sites. it completely undermines the technology people are paying for.
  • Reply 47 of 48

I hate those mobile sites. When Jobs first launched the iPhone one of its main advantages was you could view sites designed for large screens on a mobile device for the first time rather than having to have a special site as previous failed attempts to bring the web to mobiles had required...so what to web sites do, make shitty mobile sites with crippled functionality where you cant find anything on them

it by far wasn't really the first time. I was using the HTC Athena for a while before the first iPhone. it was a smart phone with same form as the Samsung note: a rectangular slab with a giant screen on its face. it ran windows mobile, had hundreds of thousands of apps and included opera mobile which supported full desktop web browsing including full support for video sites like YouTube. it still does a lot of stuff I can't do on mobile devices today. it was amazing. besides that there were the Nokia Internet tablets that were designed specifically for web browsing in a portable form factor.
    edited January 2016