New Apple Campus 2 video shows installation of massive glass panels

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2016
A drone operator has published an aerial video captured throughout Apple's Campus 2 construction site, showing extensive progress including the beginning of interior and exterior glazing installation and the ceiling covering what will be the company's new on-site theater.

Source: Duncan Sinfield via YouTube

Less than three months ago in October, the Spaceship Ring was just beginning to top out across just over half of its segments. Today the ring structure is nearing completion.

More details of the visitor center and store are also visible. Apple plans to build a dedicated visitor center for Campus 2, which will offer views of the main ring at the heart of the development and include retail store, planning documents indicate.

There's also a quick glance at the Phase 2 buildings rising around the periphery of the main campus, depicted in the rendering above and previously detailed as a research and design group large enough to build and test vehicle prototypes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) I love to see these monthly progress videos.

2) I hope El Niño deos cause any delays.

3) I hope Apple has hired someone to document the design and construction.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Best vid yet aside from the cheesy Jobs quotes at the beginning. And by the way, what is the deal with all the space behind the stage? Only 1000 seats and all that extra space back there. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Nice to see something to lift the gloom.
    Top floor looks like it has ceilings. And maybe even some internal partition framing (?)
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cornchip said:
    Best vid yet aside from the cheesy Jobs quotes at the beginning. And by the way, what is the deal with all the space behind the stage? Only 1000 seats and all that extra space back there. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.
    What's obvious to me is that you don't know much about theater layouts. It's not extra space. It's standard space. Here is a typical diagram: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parts_of_a_theatre#/media/File:Stage_Layout_Plan.jpg

Also, few of us get to see a theater under construction, or a bird's eye view of it from such videos as these, free of ceilings and theater curtains.

"Only 1000 seats" says to me that this will not replace the need for larger venues such as Moscone Center for Apple's major events. This on-site theater will most likely be for department-level staff briefings and presentations. Keep in mind, also, that any such programs can be televised and streamed elsewhere.
    latifbp
  • Reply 5 of 9
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    cornchip said:
    ... And by the way, what is the deal with all the space behind the stage? Only 1000 seats and all that extra space back there. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.
    As pipped by @LoneStar88. Unfortunately, that is where U2 will set up their gear before the concert.
    nolamacguycornchip
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    volcan said:
    cornchip said:
    ... And by the way, what is the deal with all the space behind the stage? Only 1000 seats and all that extra space back there. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.
    Unfortunately, that is where U2 will set up their gear before the concert.
    bahaha
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Does anyone know of an alternate site to view these videos rather than YouTube? Unfortunately my location has sites like YouTube, Twitter, FaceBook and the like blocked so I am unable to watch videos. Grr!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Does anyone know of an alternate site to view these videos rather than YouTube? Unfortunately my location has sites like YouTube, Twitter, FaceBook and the like blocked so I am unable to watch videos. Grr!
    Get back to work slacker ...  ;)

I assume you are not meaning the entire country!  
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Surprised no one has commented on the music. I find the close resemblance to the American Beauty soundtrack a bit off-putting considering the unprecedented design of this building. 

Also, I'm rather surprised Apple or the General Contractor hasn't sought to prohibit/file suit against drones in the construction site. Don't get me wrong, as an Architect I enjoy theses candid peeks, but there has to be safety and maybe secrecy concerns knowing Apple. I know plans and renderings have been published for a while now, but the big reveal is being spoiled.