Apple, Google in talks for rights to stream three London NFL games

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The National Football League is in talks with companies including Apple and Google to stream three games due to be played in London, England next season, a report said on Friday.

The league is interested in streaming more London games after last year's experimental Internet broadcast run by Yahoo proved a success, two sources told Reuters. Approximately 15.2 million people tuned into a single London game streamed in October 2015.

Although anyone who watched for more than 3 seconds was counted as a viewer, and the stream started playing automatically on some sites, an average of 2.36 million people were watching at any one time. Yahoo ended up selling out its ad slots after dropping the price of a commercial from $200,000 to under $100,000.

Neither Apple nor Google have previously live-streamed NFL content. While Google would presumably show games on YouTube, it's not clear how Apple would handle a broadcast, since it doesn't have any first-party apps geared towards streaming video. It could presumably develop a new app, or simply host a stream on its website.

The NFL has meanwhile put its Thursday night football package up for bid, and should announce a decision by next month's Super Bowl, one of the sources said.

That point is significant, since Apple is allegedly vying for those rights as well. If it successfully bought access, it would be on a non-exclusive basis, potentially allowing companies like Amazon, Google, and/or Yahoo to stream games as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Why would anyone in England give a hoot about American Football?  Especially now that it's so obviously due to disappear entirely soon.    
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Better photo soccer fans
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Why would anyone in England give a hoot about American Football?  Especially now that it's so obviously due to disappear entirely soon.    
    No offense intended, but what is the logic of "...it's so obviously due to disappear entirely soon"? From the pic on your post I assume you are female, and that doesn't disqualify anyone from having opinions about sports, as does my grandma, usually more emotional than rational, but interested in what you are actually talking about. If it's just to troll, have first post, or give you something to do,  no worries.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Maybe they don't, its not mentioned in the article so who cares if they do or don't. What is mentioned is the internet viewership and advertisement ie $$$; that's all they care about. The game could be in Iceland for all the NFL cares... as long as it gets viewership.

A better question may be - Why only London games get streamed? (or do others?)

• Reply 5 of 11
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    So North Korea is going to test the improved version in the UK then?
    it's not clear how Apple would handle a broadcast
    Now, now, don't dissemble, I witnessed their last live broadcast using their proprietary ClusterDuck technology.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Please Apple and Google find a way to get the entire NFL season. I can't get DirecTV and even if I could, the $300+ price tag is ridiculous. 
    muppetry
  • Reply 7 of 11
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    What the heck are you talking about? The NFL does have a pretty decent following in the UK. I'm sure the streaming rights are for the USA anyway though. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    boeyc15 said:

Maybe they don't, its not mentioned in the article so who cares if they do or don't. What is mentioned is the internet viewership and advertisement ie $$$; that's all they care about. The game could be in Iceland for all the NFL cares... as long as it gets viewership.

A better question may be - Why only London games get streamed? (or do others?)

I'm guessing because of contracts with the networks for US games.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I've been to two of the games at Wembley and they were both packed out. I think it's pretty popular.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Thanks for the Eagles photo, dicks
  • Reply 11 of 11
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I've been to half a dozen of the games. The tickets often sell out six months before the game. You've got to remember that it's very cheap to fly to London from all over Europe so there's a mix of Brits, Europeans, American ex-pats and fans of the teams involved who fancied a holiday in London.

A franchise based in London is looking certain now.