Apple's new 4-inch handset rumored to be named 'iPhone 5e,' sport A8 CPU & 1GB RAM

Posted:
in iPhone
Supply chain scuttlebutt over a new 4-inch iPhone continues to accumulate, with the latest rumors suggesting Apple will name its revamped handset the "iPhone 5e," with the letter 'e' potentially signifying that it is an 'enhanced' version of the iPhone 5s.

The rumored name comes from a new report published Monday by China's MyDrivers, which suggested the "iPhone 5e" is currently in production at Foxconn, ahead of an anticipated March release. The report also claimed the handset will feature an A8 processor with 1 gigabyte of RAM, countering earlier claims that the new 4-inch iPhone would feature the latest-generation A9 chip.

Keeping the device a mid-range handset, it was also said that the "iPhone 5e" will be limited to two capacities: 16 and 64 gigabytes, lacking the 128-gigabyte options found on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s lineups.

Monday's report suggests the defining features of the "iPhone 5e" will be support for Apple Pay, as well as voice over LTE capabilities for higher fidelity audio calls. The device was also said to be priced at 3,288 yuan, which is about $500 U.S.

Thus far, rumors have simply referred to the new device as an "iPhone 6c," following the naming convention of the iPhone 5c. However, for that product, the "c" referred to the range of colors its plastic casing was available in. The new 4-inch iPhone is expected to have a metal body available in just two or three casing colors.

Though it will look largely like an iPhone 5s, reports have suggested the design won't be completely unchanged. Specifically, it's expected the new, smaller iPhone will feature "2.5D" cover glass, or slightly curved like on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s, rather than the flat "2D" cover glass on the iPhone 5s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    "Every inch an iPhone."
    cornchipargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 55
    What is there are two 4inch phones ? A low cost one for emerging markets and a full fledged compact edition of the iPhone6s for rich economies ?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    iPhone 5e, as in 'e' of 'edition'?

Sounds expensive to me.

Why not 'iPhone mini'?
  • Reply 4 of 55
    As someone who has always gotten top of the line iPhones but isn't interested a larger device, if this rumor is true, it's a depressing harbinger of how Apple views smaller form factors.
    irelandnetmagecali
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Good god I hope this is a joke. Almost sounds like something from the onion.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's sad, sad, sad that Schiller and Co. deem the 4" model a 3rd class citizen. I myself have about average sized hands, but I find the 4.7" model too large, and have no interest in the mini-tablet form factor of the plus model. Somewhere ~4.2" would be perfect for my needs. I don't want to be penalised for using an iPhone that size. Why can't they just release a slightly thicker, slightly clocked down A9 4.2" iPhone and call it iPhone 6 mini or similar.

They offer iPads and notebooks in 3 sizes. They should offer their phone that will sell ~300 million units this year in 3 physical sizes. They could conceivably give the 4.2" model the same resolution as the 4.7" model as they do with iPad and iPad mini and it'd work great. I use a case that is relatively thin and find the 6 uncomfortable to hold size-wise and more important for me find it uncomfortable pocket-wise. The area it takes up isn't what I like.

This whole 5e product is sad for me (if true). And FFS 16GB get out. They are taking the piss at this stage.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 7 of 55
    "Every inch an iPhone."
    Too suggestive for Apple's sensibilities.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Maurizio said:
    What is there are two 4inch phones ? A low cost one for emerging markets and a full fledged compact edition of the iPhone6s for rich economies ?
    Because big one is for already emerged markets? Reason? Logic? I think it is because of practical reasons where in "emrging markets" people think reasonably that thi is not supposed to be bulky large device to watch movies, but simply communication device. The only advantage I have seen with iPhone6 so far is keyboard that is more practical in size and operable by less skillful people (*call them older people if you like). iPhone 6 Plus is simply overkill and it is technology gimmick to keep up with Samsung somewhat odd ideas for 15 m inutes fame and market popularity.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 9 of 55

Maurizio said:
    What if pigs flew. Sadly much to my announce this won't happen this year, I have a feeling.
  • Reply 10 of 55

mr o said:
    iPhone 5e, as in 'e' of 'edition'?

Sounds expensive to me.

Why not 'iPhone mini'?
    Because they don't want to market it as a high-end model. And they won't tell is what e stand for.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I always thought of the 4 inch iPhone as a last minute decision of the Apple design team to stretch the 3.5 inch screen in order to accomodate an extra row of icons?

It'd be great if Apple would design an iPhone Mini from the ground up. Well proportionned, and a far cry of the 'stretched 3.5 inch iPhone'.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    This rumor is not from Ming.

Ming says A9 with 2 GB of RAM. He is 99% reliable when it comes to Apple.
    netmagecornchip
  • Reply 13 of 55
    ireland said:

This whole 5e product is sad for me (if true). And FFS 16GB get out. They are taking the piss at this stage.
    First of all, this rumor is from some unreliable source and contradicts Ming Chi Kuo, who would know.

Secondly, iOS today has features like iCloud Photo Library and Optimize iPhone Storage, along with auto-delete of iMessage. The two biggest culprits that eat up local storage have intelligent automatic management now. It has never been more possible to get away with a 16 GB phone than it is today. Never mind the fact that 50% of iPhone owners don't know nor care how much storage they have.
    edited January 2016 netmagenolamacguy
  • Reply 14 of 55
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    For this kind of rumors Ming-Chi-Kuo in the guy who knows and if he said its an A9 iPhone 6c, is. Other issue is that its sales forecast are as bad as any other guy, he predicted first weekend sales of iPhone 6 / 6 Plus in the 6 to 8 million range, but more near six than eight, then they were ten million. But in product forecast and release schedule is king.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    ireland said:
    It's sad, sad, sad that Schiller and Co. deem the 4" model a 3rd class citizen. I myself have about average sized hands, but I find the 4.7" model too large, and have no interest in the mini-tablet form factor of the plus model. Somewhere ~4.2" would be perfect for my needs. I don't want to be penalised for using an iPhone that size. Why can't they just release a slightly thicker, slightly clocked down A9 4.2" iPhone and call it iPhone 6 mini or similar.

They offer iPads and notebooks in 3 sizes. They should offer their phone that will sell ~300 million units this year in 3 physical sizes. They could conceivably give the 4.2" model the same resolution as the 4.7" model as they do with iPad and iPad mini and it'd work great. I use a case that is relatively thin and find the 6 uncomfortable to hold size-wise and more important for me find it uncomfortable pocket-wise. The area it takes up isn't what I like.

I have never understood the caterwauling about the iPhone 6 series being too large. I have small hands and handled 6 plus and now the 6s plus just fine with one handed use. These people must have zero dexterity or kinesthetic ability. 
  • Reply 16 of 55
    latifbp said:
    ireland said:

I have never understood the caterwauling about the iPhone 6 series being too large. I have small hands and handled 6 plus and now the 6s plus just fine with one handed use. These people must have zero dexterity or kinesthetic ability. 
    Its called personal preference. You prefer to have a larger phone so you immediately discount any sort of adjustment or awkwardness as being a trade off. For someone that doesn't really want a larger phone to start with, when handling even the 6 vs. the 5s, it is immediately apparent that everything they are used to is now harder to do.

I've gone through the 6 Plus and the 6s while my wife still coasts along with her 5s, because she doesn't want anything larger. She's has ample opportunity to try the larger options and has no interest in it. I'm watching the news on the new 4" model from Apple like a hawk, in the hopes that some viable upgrade option for her 2013 phone will exist.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    sog35 said:
    Good god I hope this is a joke. Almost sounds like something from the onion.
    using your 'reasoning' than Apple should also make a 3.5 inch phone with A10. Where does it end?  Should they also make a top end 3 inch phone? 2.5 inch phone?

I'm sorry but Apple can't make phones just to fit people with extremely small hands. 
    If they wanted to make a phone like this (with A8 processor) they should have released it last year and it shouldn't be $500. A 16GB iPod touch with A8 processor, 8MP camera and Bluetooth 4.1 is $199. You're telling me a16GB A8 iPhone is worth $300 more? If this is what we get from Apple this spring then I should probably sell my stock now. Hence why I asked if this report came from the Onion.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    A couple of thoughts here. This could be a direct reflection of what growth markets need. Mexico, China and India...There could also be some logic around the smaller screen does not require as much horsepower to drive the display...I also think there is huge margin opportunities for legacy chips. Another thing to consider is a yield and volume situation. Apple may not be able to produce enough of the newest chip for all of the phone models it sells. By keeping the newest chips for the primary phones it can keep up with production by using legacy chips due to ability to produce.
    radarthekatcornchipflaneur
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Please be an iPhone Air! Steve Jobs was right, the original iPhone size form was perfect for most hands, the trend of upsizing isn't for everyone. I hate the size of my iPhone 6, I always regret it when I pick up an iPhone 5. I'm hoping for a thinner premium device with a 4" screen and maybe lose some of the bezel and the mechanical Home button. Wireless charging and please put the power button back on the top!!!!
    argonautcornchipcali
  • Reply 20 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    pmz said:
    This rumor is not from Ming.

Ming says A9 with 2 GB of RAM. He is 99% reliable when it comes to Apple.
    Are you for fracking real, "99% reliable".!
    More like 35% reliable, which is barely above guessing.
    I'm just ignoring from now on. You just demonstrated who you are.