Hints/tips on building a webpage.....?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.webmonkey.com"; target="_blank">www.webmonkey.com</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Could someone point me to a good resource for building webpages, and possibly a reliable program that an average idiot can use to build a webpage? Anything that is free, or almost free would greatly help, as my wallet is still shriveled up from buying my iBook!

Thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    <a href="http://www.htmlgoodies.com"; target="_blank">www.htmlgoodies.com</a> is good for a beginner

Also dreamweaver would be good to try, you can get the demo from macromedia.com. If you want to just do basic HTML though, just use watever text editor you have

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: ast3r3x ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Not many people will say it, but I actually learned HTML and CSS mainly by reading the respective specification at <a href="http://www.w3c.org/"; target="_blank">w3c</a>, the standardization authority for all kinds of web technology.

They provide some links to tutorials, and if you have the time to skim through the specifications (say, a day or two, three per 'language'), you will actually learn a lot , as well as understand it (which is way better than just constructing something basic in dreamweaver)

That I really advise actually.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The first question you have to answer when building a webpage is: Do I want this to be seen on the internet, the world wide web or the information superhighway?

Once you've figured that out you can move forward.

"Oh, but I can it be seen on all three?"

That, my friend, is a question for the poets.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    <a href="http://www.echoecho.com"; target="_blank">http://www.echoecho.com</a>;

I learned CSS and Java/JavaScript there.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>The first question you have to answer when building a webpage is: Do I want this to be seen on the internet, the world wide web or the information superhighway?

Once you've figured that out you can move forward.

"Oh, but I can it be seen on all three?"

That, my friend, is a question for the poets.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had thought all three of those described the same thing, unless your just pullin my leg
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Damn....HTML is easier to write, than it is to upload. I tried using Fetch, but it gets stuck trying to find some file.

I downloaded the Dreamweaver trial, and it is very confusing. I cant figure out how to upload some simple text so I can see the site! I gotta get some sleep, but this is making me nuts. The Webmonkey site was very cool, made it simple even for an HTML idiot like me.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Hm... try BBedit or BBedit lite...

If you need to ftp, i know only rbrowser. That sucks cos the trial works only 2 weeks...

What's the prob with Dreamweaver..? Uh, maybe the demo has some limits in it..
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Start off by looking at other people's source code to see how they do stuff. I orginally started by typing out all the code but than decided to use a WYSIWYG Editor like Dreamweaver just to get my stuff done faster. But learning the actual HTML first will help you. You don't need to but if you truly want to learn it study the html code of other sites and what it does.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Mulattabianca:

<strong>Hm... try BBedit or BBedit lite...

If you need to ftp, i know only rbrowser. That sucks cos the trial works only 2 weeks...

What's the prob with Dreamweaver..? Uh, maybe the demo has some limits in it..</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nothing wrong with Dreamweaver i'm sure, it just isnt very user friendly. I was hoping for it to have a "how to" course in it for people who know nothing about making a website. Someone told me that their Dreamweaver program on their PC has that kind of help, and it made it easier for them.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by BrianMacOS:

<strong>Start off by looking at other people's source code to see how they do stuff. I orginally started by typing out all the code but than decided to use a WYSIWYG Editor like Dreamweaver just to get my stuff done faster. But learning the actual HTML first will help you. You don't need to but if you truly want to learn it study the html code of other sites and what it does.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have been trying to learn HTML, and it doesnt seem too bad. I am frustrated tho, cause I wrote some simple code to put up on my webpage and couldnt get it to upload. Someone was just telling me I needed a directory there first or something, but I cant get anything to upload.

I just want to get something on the page so it will show up when you type in its address for now
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>The first question you have to answer when building a webpage is: Do I want this to be seen on the internet, the world wide web or the information superhighway?</strong><hr></blockquote>

:confused: Hmmmm. Thought all three were the same...?

[ 09-17-2002: Message edited by: Artman @_@ ]</p>