Aaron Sorkin & Kate Winslet pick up Golden Globes for roles in Steve Jobs biopic

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Danny Boyle biopic Steve Jobs picked up two awards during the Golden Globes on Sunday, including Best Screenplay for Aaron Sorkin, and Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for Kate Winslet.

Michael Fassbender, who played Jobs, lost the Best Performance by an Actor award to Leonardo DiCaprio, star of The Revenant. DiCaprio, coincidentally, was at one point tapped to play Jobs but instead reportedly declined it to take a hiatus from acting.

Daniel Pemberton missed out on Best Original Score, an award which was instead claimed by Ennio Morricone for Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight.

Steve Jobs did not receive any nominations for Best Director or Best Motion Picture.

The film infamously bombed at the box office during its main U.S. theatrical run, failing to make back even half of its production and marketing costs. International distribution and next month's impending online, Blu-ray, and DVD releases could help soften the blow.

The Golden Globes are often seen as a hint at prospects for the Academy Awards, which are scheduled for Feb. 28. A few wins there could potentially revive interest in Jobs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    "We're handing out awards to help our sniveling buddy, Aaron Sorkin. He lost his shirt on this one."
    quinneyflaneurnolamacguy
  • Reply 2 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "We're handing out awards to help our sniveling buddy, Aaron Sorkin. He lost his shirt on this one."
    The studio lost money. Aaron most definitely got paid. 
  • Reply 3 of 26
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Doesn't help him get future ideas funded.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Not so. He gave up his usual upfront scriptwriting fee to get this movie made. He said so in interviews.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The movie in general was good, though the whole Lisa thing was a bit cloying.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Congratulations to them both.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    I am definitely buying this movie.. when it hits the Walmart clearance bin. And if it is under $4.
  • Reply 8 of 26

A pretty telling indictment of the state of the movie industry when something that is an open, bald-faced LIE wins an award.

Of course the irony is lost on nearly everyone, since they take what Hollywood shits out as gospel. And not just the documentary stuff.

flaneurjony0icoco3
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I was hoping someone would have hired Daniel Dilger to write the screenplay. Of course the movie would have been 6 hours long, but we would have seen the parts they left out, like where Jobs invented the polio vaccine and was the first man on the moon.
    Funny. We really could have used your version with Jobs stealing the iPhone designs from Eric Schmidt and then having to fire him from the Apple board to keep him quiet. And how Samsung tried to block Google as they felt this was stealing, but they were forced to produce their iPhone copies to keep North Korea from attacking the US.
    jony0nolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 26
    pmz said:
    Parenthetically - it didn't hurt the post-NEXT Steve get his ideas funded
  • Reply 11 of 26
    I am definitely buying this movie.. when it hits the Walmart clearance bin. And if it is under $4.
    Why would you overpay for such a piece of crap?! Only get it and watch it if it comes free with the purchase of something else, and then only under duress.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Total b.s.   These aren't industry awards - these are the foreign critics awards and most are independent writers, so you can't even make the case that they did it because their publication wants advertising from the studios.

And I guarantee you that Aaron Sorkin lost nothing.   He got paid well and up-front.   Only idiots take net points.   

You may have hated the idea of the movie (I would say "hated the movie", but I doubt you saw it), but let's not make up crap just because that's the case (even if Sorkin did).
  • Reply 13 of 26
    I am surprised by this. Fassbender maybe, but with Winslet's performance it seemed early on that she didn't have an accent and then later she did. 
  • Reply 14 of 26
    zoetmb said:
    Total b.s.   These aren't industry awards - these are the foreign critics awards and most are independent writers, so you can't even make the case that they did it because their publication wants advertising from the studios.

And I guarantee you that Aaron Sorkin lost nothing.   He got paid well and up-front.   Only idiots take net points.   

You may have hated the idea of the movie (I would say "hated the movie", but I doubt you saw it), but let's not make up crap just because that's the case (even if Sorkin did).

"To illustrate just how non-opportunistic a project Steve Jobs was, Sorkin indicated that he, and other key members of the behind-the-scenes creative team, though he didn’t specify exactly who, actually took pay cuts in order to ensure that the film got made."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Aaron-Sorkin-Has-Brutal-Response-Apple-CEO-Steve-Jobs-Comments-84777.html
    edited January 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 15 of 26
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pmz said:
    His once-shiny tin-plated armor is definitely dented and rusted. This was a consolation prize.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I loved this movie and I suspect most (if not all) of the negative comments here come from people that did not see it. How do I know? Because those that complain the most have nothing constructive to say in their criticism. Steve Jobs (the person) maybe the one computer nerd to have an understanding of art and culture which if you ever bring yourself to see Steve Jobs (the movie) you would understand that. 
  • Reply 17 of 26
    spice-boy said:
    I loved this movie and I suspect most (if not all) of the negative comments here come from people that did not see it. How do I know? Because those that complain the most have nothing constructive to say in their criticism. Steve Jobs (the person) maybe the one computer nerd to have an understanding of art and culture which if you ever bring yourself to see Steve Jobs (the movie) you would understand that. 
    What is your opinion of the people who saw the movie, knew Steve Jobs and called the movie a complete fabrication of events?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    spice-boy said:
    I saw it and was so bored watching it I wanted to fast-forward through several parts because 1) it was focused on a couple of Steve's (problem) relationships using product launches as the vehicle delivery (yawn!), 2) it was so repetitive you only needed to watch the first launch to know what the rest of the movie was going to be, and 3) Michael Fassbender was utterly terrible as Steve Jobs.

I watched and actually enjoyed the other Jobs "biopic" with Ashton Kutcher enough to watch that one twice, but this version, well, what I can say positive about this one is that I made it all the way through which is more than I can say for Pirates of Silicon Valley (which I would rate about as highly, or lowly as the case may be).

Strange, because I'm an Aaron Sorkin fan, huge fan of The West Wing and The Newsroom and I expected to be one of those people who loved this movie even after it was already a flop at the box office - but, in this case, the flopping at the box office is well deserved, this movie is a complete waste of time.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    spice-boy said:
    What is your opinion of the people who saw the movie, knew Steve Jobs and called the movie a complete fabrication of events?
    Please read my comment again, " Steve Jobs (the person) maybe the one computer nerd to have an understanding of art and culture ". This point is made quite clear in the movie, Jobs was surrounded by technicians for the most part that just didn't get what he was trying to do. The debate he had with Woz about locking the box while Woz wanted it open so nerds like himself could tinker with it. The opening scene and the drama behind the "screen greeting" get's this idea across in spades. 

This is movie is NOT A 
    BIOGRAPHY of Steve Jobs but an artistic poem to the creative and visionary Jobs was. This movie shows us how no man or woman in Silicon Valley could have created Apple for this reason. 
  • Reply 20 of 26

spice-boy said:
    I saw it and was so bored watching it I wanted to fast-forward through several parts because 1) it was focused on a couple of Steve's (problem) relationships using product launches as the vehicle delivery (yawn!), 2) it was so repetitive you only needed to watch the first launch to know what the rest of the movie was going to be, and 3) Michael Fassbender was utterly terrible as Steve Jobs.

I watched and actually enjoyed the other Jobs "biopic" with Ashton Kutcher enough to watch that one twice, but this version, well, what I can say positive about this one is that I made it all the way through which is more than I can say for Pirates of Silicon Valley (which I would rate about as highly, or lowly as the case may be).

Strange, because I'm an Aaron Sorkin fan, huge fan of The West Wing and The Newsroom and I expected to be one of those people who loved this movie even after it was already a flop at the box office - but, in this case, the flopping at the box office is well deserved, this movie is a complete waste of time.
    Please see my comment above to see why the product launches were so fundamental to Apple's success and why Steve drove everyone crazy and to brilliant and industry changing products. The launches where "frames" used to address Jobs at different times in his career and Apple's history. The dialogue was astounding to listen to, and once you understand this is an abstraction of conversations and events all jammed into the three separate product launches the bigger picture become clear. No actor can be exactly like another human being so all actors create portrayals, Fassbinder's creation was his portrayal and it worked for me.