Apple issues first betas for iOS 9.3, tvOS 9.2, watchOS 2.2 and El Capitan 10.11.4

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2016
Apple on Monday dropped a deluge of new software updates for testers, with new beta releases for its iOS, tvOS, watchOS and Mac OS X platforms now available to download.

Monday's releases of iOS 9.3, tvOS 9.2, watchOS 2.2 and OS X 10.11.4 mark the first pre-release betas of those versions of Apple's major software platforms. Beta releases for Apple Configurator 2.2 and Xcode 7.3 were also made available.

The first beta of iOS 9.3 is identified as build 13E5181d. watchOS 2.2 carries build number 13V5098e, and tvOS 9.2 is build 13Y5179e.

The OS X 10.11.4 beta carries the build number 15E27e, while OS X Server 5.1 is build 15S5058. Finally, Xcode 7.3 is build 7D111g, and Apple Configurator 2.2 is build 3C19.

Monday's updates are noteworthy in that they are point-one version updates, suggesting they could pack in more new features, rather than just bug fixes and security updates. Apple has yet to release iOS 9.2.1 or OS X 10.11.3 to the public, meaning developers have multiple newer builds than are available to others.

Already discovered in iOS 9.3 are features like Night Shift mode and secured notes, and multi-user support on iPads, though only for students.

The tvOS 9.2 beta includes support for app folders and Bluetooth keyboards, as well as a new app switcher, and an expanded range of Siri dialects. Together, iOS 9.3 and watchOS 2.2 let people pair multiple Apple Watches to a single iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    If you're someone that works in education and uses / deploys iPads, it looks like iOS 9.3 is going to be a big release for you;

1.  Shared iPad for Students
    2.  New Classroom App
    3.  Apple School Manager
    4.  Manage Apple IDs

http://www.apple.com/education/preview/
    edited January 2016 damonf
  • Reply 2 of 18
    A preview page for 9.3. When's the last time Apple did that for a point update?

http://www.apple.com/ios/preview/
  • Reply 3 of 18

They should've been doing this like yesterday
  • Reply 4 of 18
    If you're someone that works in education and uses / deploys iPads, it looks like iOS 9.3 is going to be a big release for you;

2.  New Classroom App
    3.  Apple School Manager
    4.  Manage Apple IDs

Shared iPad for Students.

Seriously, this is nothing more than having multiple user logins for a single iOS device. I hope this makes it outside of education. I bet a lot of families would like a single iPad where a family member logs in with Touch ID and the iPad is configured for them specifically.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Seriously. Can't believe what I am reading about features supported in upcoming Apple TV tvos 9.2. In such short time, Apple is filling the gap with left out and new features for tvos so quickly that customers who own(like me) and those who don't but must have opinion should be impressed. I myself is very frustrated without BT or USB-C keyboard support. Same reason, years back I had and hated android tv's dinky keyboard and so sold to some sucker. On side topic related to Apple-tv support, Users/customers should complained and Apple needs to encourage those TV channel providers like NBCuniversal,, App developers and idiot like Amazon's Jeff Bozo, Comcast Xfinity, Timewarner watch anywhere, dishnetowork App to support new Apple TV with native APP. This new Apple-TV is good platform for users and developers for developing APP for contents streaming, games,homekit,etc
  • Reply 6 of 18

2.  New Classroom App
    3.  Apple School Manager
    4.  Manage Apple IDs

Seriously, this is nothing more than having multiple user logins for a single iOS device. I hope this makes it outside of education. I bet a lot of families would like a single iPad where a family member logs in with Touch ID and the iPad is configured for them specifically.

• Reply 7 of 18
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

They should've been doing this like yesterday
    For .1 releases yes. In fact the annoying update alert should have a what's new link to this page. I generally don't update after the first point release post the main release because unless I am seeing issues I need to fix, whatever they might have fixed is not helpful and may be harmful. Fix ten bugs and you create one or two. 

However I do want 9.3 for night shift but many people won't know about it. 
    canukstorm
  • Reply 8 of 18
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member

Mark who?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    I find secured Notes interesting.
    Starting with iOS 7 Apple iOS gave Google Gmail access to our Notes, Contacts and Calendar;
     all turned  on by default !
    I only noticed it because Google "stumbled"  when  accessing that personal info !!!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    A little gun shy with iOS update after this. Nowhere to escalate to resolve the problem either. 
  • Reply 11 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tuxmask said:
    A little gun shy with iOS update after this. Nowhere to escalate to resolve the problem either. 
    You posted this back on December 15. What is your purpose in posting it again? Looks like your device bit the dust out of warranty and you are not willing to pay to have it fixed. What’s your problem anyway?
    edited January 2016 bdkennedy1002
  • Reply 12 of 18
    OS X 10.11.3 hasn't even been released yet.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    lkrupp said:
    tuxmask said:
    You posted this back on December 15. What is your purpose in posting it again? Looks like your device bit the dust out of warranty and you are not willing to pay to have it fixed. What’s your problem anyway?

My son update his MacBook pro with 10.11 and all of a sudden his clock kept resting back in time. Yeah at first we through the software was messing with the clock, we provided it pretty quick it was not software. Turns out the Logic board went bad at about the same time as the update. Took it to Apple, under AppleCare and they replace it no problem, they even replace his keyboard at the time since it was kind of flakey and his battery for good measure.

• Reply 14 of 18
    lkrupp said:
    tuxmask said:
    My problem is that an update of an OS should not cause a hardware failure. It's a software problem that Apple's sweeping it under the rug and 
    claiming it as a hardware problem to force a customer to pay is not right.

I have multiple iOS devices, one of them was on beta program. After this incident, I got off the beta train, and no longer as eager to hit the update buttons with the rest of my iDevices. 

• Reply 15 of 18
    tuxmask said:
    lkrupp said:
    My problem is that an update of an OS should not cause a hardware failure. It's a software problem that Apple's sweeping it under the rug and 

I have multiple iOS devices, one of them was on beta program. After this incident, I got off the beta train, and no longer as eager to hit the update buttons with the rest of my iDevices. 

I'm missing something -- just because somebody said his device stopped working after running an update in no way means the update caused the problem. theres no reason to rule out hardware failure that coincided with the update, is there? further, that screen doesnt state the update caused the logic board failure. it just states the user said he couldn't perform updates and they determined possible logic board failure.

as for betas -- theyre designed for developers. if you dont have a business reason to use a beta, i wouldnt recommend it, and i certainly wouldnt complain about them.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tuxmask said:
    lkrupp said:

There's no fracking chance the update did that, it's a god damn coincidence.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Wow, the flat rate repair for an iPad Air 2 is more than my 2011 15" MBP
  • Reply 18 of 18
    tuxmask said:

I'm missing something -- just because somebody said his device stopped working after running an update in no way means the update caused the problem. theres no reason to rule out hardware failure that coincided with the update, is there? further, that screen doesnt state the update caused the logic board failure. it just states the user said he couldn't perform updates and they determined possible logic board failure.

as for betas -- theyre designed for developers. if you dont have a business reason to use a beta, i wouldnt recommend it, and i certainly wouldnt complain about them.
    Apple sent an email refunding for the cost of the fix. 
    These errors cause by iTunes are numerous and has nothing to do with hardware. 
    http://www.dailydot.com/technology/what-is-error-53-iphone/