Apple publishes first comprehensive list of CarPlay-compatible vehicles

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Having finally accumulated a large enough stable of partners for the platform, Apple on Monday published an official list of current and (some) future vehicles compatible with CarPlay.

The list includes automakers from around the world. While many may be familiar to U.S. drivers -- such as Audi, Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, and Volkswagen -- others have minimal or zero American presence, such as Citro?n, DS Automobiles, Seat, and ?koda.

Until today the only indication of vehicle support on Apple's website was a graphic with various brand logos, telling users nothing about which individual models were compatible.

Apple first debuted CarPlay in March 2014. The platform had low support until mid-2015 however, and is still picking up major partners. Only later this year, for example, will Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep vehicles get support.

As of Jan. 11, Apple's full list includes:

Audi

• 2017 Q7
  • 2017 A4

Buick

• 2016 LaCrosse
  • 2016 Regal

Cadillac

• 2016 ATS
  • 2016 ATS Coupe
  • 2016 ATS-V
  • 2016 ELR
  • 2016 CTS
  • 2016 CTS-V
  • 2016 XTS
  • 2016 Escalade
  • 2016 Escalade ESV
  • 2016 CT6

Chevrolet

• 2016 Spark
  • 2016 Cruze
  • 2016 Malibu
  • 2016 Camaro
  • 2016 Camaro Convertible
  • 2016 Silverado
  • 2016 Silverado HD
  • 2016 Impala
  • 2016 Volt
  • 2016 Corvette
  • 2016 Corvette Convertible
  • 2016 Colorado
  • 2016 Tahoe
  • 2016 Suburban

Citro?n

• 2016 C3
  • 2016 C4
  • 2016 C5
  • 2016 Berlingo Multispace

DS Automobiles

• 2016 DS 3
  • 2016 DS 3 Cabrio
  • 2016 DS 4
  • 2016 DS 5

Ferrari

• 2016 California T
  • 2016 488 Spider
  • 2016 488 GTB
  • 2016 F12 Berlinetta
  • 2016 F12 tdf
  • 2016 FF

Ford

• 2017 Ford Escape

GMC

• 2016 Canyon
  • 2016 Yukon
  • 2016 Yukon XL
  • 2016 Sierra

Honda

• 2016 Accord
  • 2016 Civic
  • 2017 NSX

Hyundai

• 2016 Sonata
  • 2017 Elantra

Mercedes

• 2016 A-Class
  • 2016 B-Class
  • 2016 GLE-Class
  • 2016 CLA-Class
  • 2016 CLS-Class
  • 2016 E-Class Coupe
  • 2016 E-Class Cabriolet
  • 2016 GLA-Class

Mitsubishi

• 2016 Pajero
  • 2017 Mirage

Opel

• 2016 Adam
  • 2016 KARL
  • 2016 Corsa
  • 2016 Astra
  • 2016 Insignia

Porsche

• 2016 911
  • 2017 Macan

Peugeot

• 2016 208
  • 2016 Partner Teepe

Seat

• 2016 Ibiza
  • 2016 Leon
  • 2016 Toledo
  • 2016 Alhambra

?koda

• 2016 Superb
  • 2016 Fabia
  • 2016 Rapid
  • 2016 Octavia
  • 2016 Yeti

Suzuki

• 2016 Baleno
  • 2016 Vitara
  • 2016 SX4 S-CROSS
  • 2016 Ciaz

Volkswagen

• 2016 Jetta
  • 2016 Passat
  • 2016 CC
  • 2016 Beetle
  • 2016 Beetle Cabrio
  • 2016 Golf
  • 2016 GTI
  • 2016 Golf R
  • 2016 e-Golf
  • 2016 Tiguan
  • 2016 Golf SportWagen
  • 2016 Fox
  • 2016 Polo
  • 2016 Scirocco
  • 2016 Sharan
  • 2016 Spacefox
  • 2016 Touran
  • 2016 Lamando

Volvo

• 2016 XC90
  • 2017 S90

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    They left out the redesigned 2017 Honda Ridgeline that was just unveiled today, but maybe that's because it'll be a few months before it goes on sale.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    sog35 said:
    So the C-class Merc gets CarPlay but the much more expensive S-class doesn't?  LOL.
    Funny you should also mention the Accord.  I'm head-scratching over the lack of support for the Acura TLX.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    sog35 said:
    So the C-class Merc gets CarPlay but the much more expensive S-class doesn't?  LOL.
    Funny you should also mention the Accord.  I'm head-scratching over the lack of support for the Acura TLX.
    It all comes down to the refresh cycle of the vehicle, not how expensive it is. The S class and TLX were introduced last year. Since CarPlay was not fully available then, it will probably have to wait for at least another model year for it to be integrated.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    zroger73 said:
    They left out the redesigned 2017 Honda Ridgeline that was just unveiled today, but maybe that's because it'll be a few months before it goes on sale.

Well those pick up truck drivers need brains first.....lol
  • Reply 5 of 21
    zroger73 said:

Well those pick up truck drivers need brains first.....lol
    I don't know - there's a lot of merit to the Ridgeline.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Where the F* is idiot Toyota, BMW, many others. If you are looking for new vehicle and has no suport for CarPlay/Android than at least give hard-time to your car dealership sales person, Hey no CarPlay than ask for the price break for the lack of such important feature.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    What's frustrating with CarPlay is how the auto manufacturers are rolling this out. Take Ford for example. Every vehicle with Sync 3 should be able to use CarPlay. I don't get why Ford now says its the 2017 models. When Sync 3 came out, Ford said it would eventually add support for CarPlay. I'm sure the Sync 3 hardware in a 2017 Escape is the same as a 2016 Escape with Sync 3. 
  • Reply 8 of 21
    sog35 said:

And to people who think it does not matter: I specificily choose to buy a Honda Accord instead of a Camry/Maxima/Infiniti because it had CarPlay and those cars didn't. Phone connectivity was one of the 4 main pillars in my buying decision. I spend over 90 minutes in my car a day. That's over 500 hours a year. I want to be entertained/informed/connected while I'm driving. And CarPlay is the best way tot do that.
    Congratulations! Want a cookie?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Sadly, not one car in the list that I am interested in. Where's Jaguar? BMW? (I would have added Audi's more interesting models to the list a few months ago, but I've sworn off that cheater company). 
  • Reply 10 of 21
    zroger73 said:
    After seeing it, Apple could probably care less.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 said:

And to people who think it does not matter: I specificily choose to buy a Honda Accord instead of a Camry/Maxima/Infiniti because it had CarPlay and those cars didn't. Phone connectivity was one of the 4 main pillars in my buying decision. I spend over 90 minutes in my car a day. That's over 500 hours a year. I want to be entertained/informed/connected while I'm driving. And CarPlay is the best way tot do that.
    S class for old people and old people are mostly tech illiterate...lol
  • Reply 12 of 21
    What makes AI think I want them to publish the list for me? Just give the link.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

wood1208 said:
    Where the F* is idiot Toyota, BMW, many others. If you are looking for new vehicle and has no suport for CarPlay/Android than at least give hard-time to your car dealership sales person, Hey no CarPlay than ask for the price break for the lack of such important feature.
    As much as I like CarPlay in my BMW, I'm okay with their voice commands. It in fact control my Siri thru BT or USB. My wife 2016 X1 works flawlessly with my 6+ and her 6S: press and hold voice command button on steering wheel to activate Siri on the connected iPhone: call my mom. Boom: dialing mom!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    sog35 said:
    They want you to upgrade to the NSX.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Sadly, not one car in the list that I am interested in. Where's Jaguar? BMW? (I would have added Audi's more interesting models to the list a few months ago, but I've sworn off that cheater company). 
    No McLaren. No Bugatti. No Rolls Royce. Pfft.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Very impressed. But I am not a fan of their styling....   /s

(I truly miss the 'rolleyes' and the 'stupid grin' emojis in the previous version of AI).
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 17 of 21
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Audi's Quattro all-wheel drive system is the best of the best. Anyone who wants exceptional traction in rain, snow and ice would do well with an Audi.  In an emergency, it will get you wherever you need to be, even in a blizzard. You may not like what they did, but I'll take maximum safety for me and my family over questionable ethical decisions.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    ...or John Deere and Massey Ferguson! It's a huge disappointment for farmers too!!! Sell the stock!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Driving a 2015 Toyota Avalon, I'm finding its Entune system has some notable capabilities, but more notable deficiencies. Among them, the car comes with a nav system and Entune manual that's 310 pages long! Steve Jobs would have called it utterly insane. It took several thousand miles of over-the-road travel, with stops to consult the book, to master the user interface. Even so, it can be dangerously distracting sometimes to use even simple functions while in motion, compounded by less-than-optimal voice recognition. Toyota apparently recognizes this hazard and locks out some activities unless the car is at a standstill. Additionally, there are still too many dedicated hardware buttons baked into the unit. Taken altogether, the existing system is pitifully unintuitive.

i suspect that Toyota has gone far enough down its Entune development path that there is strong internal resistance to shit-canning it and changing to a simpler, more universal, more consistent user interface such as CarPlay may offer. It may be why you don't see Toyota and Lexus on the latest CarPlay list.

Commonality and uniformity across different makes and models is a key to making driving safer and less distracting. I don't want to waste time studying a different systems manual every time I climb into a different rental vehicle.

I'm hoping that CarPlay offers a distinctly friendlier user interface. If anybody is driving a CarPlay vehicle now and can offer an objective evaluation of the user experience, it surely would would be helpful to hear about it.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    It's nice to see a more comprehensive list, but it should be continuously updated. I saw the report on the ridgeline, and read about the sync 3 for Ford, hopefully they will add the explorer to the list soon. Not a lot of suvs on the list ,it seems like, would have been nice to see the Honda Pilot added to the list, I know toyota said they weren't pursing Carplay. I'm hoping the 2018 Land Rover Discovery will have car play.