iOS 9.3 & watchOS 2.2 betas add ability to pair multiple Apple Watches with an iPhone

Posted:
in Apple Watch
In a potential sign that new Apple Watch hardware could be around the corner, Apple's newly released iOS 9.3 beta gives developers the ability to pair multiple Apple Watches with an iPhone.

In the release notes for iOS 9.3 beta 1, Apple reveals that the Apple Watch app can pair with multiple watches at a time. This requires that the Apple Watch also be running watchOS 2.2, the first beta of which was also released on Monday.

Apple didn't explain why users might want to connect multiple Apple Watches to an iPhone, but it's easy to see why the capability might be advantageous from a developer's perspective. Connecting multiple Apple Watches to a single iPhone would allow a developer to more easily test their applications and see how they behave, without the need for multiple iPhones.

Of course, this ability would take on even more significance if Apple were to release a new Apple Watch with revamped hardware. Presumably, the ability to connect multiple watches to an iPhone would allow a developer to test their apps on faster second-generation hardware, alongside first-generation units.

It's unknown if Apple plans to offer multi-watch support to end users whenever iOS 9.3 publicly launches. But doing so could allow some of Apple's more affluent and fashion-conscious consumers to own multiple styles and colors for different occasions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Thank god, I'm so sick of having to pair each of my Apple Watches Editions every morning.
    jamielradarthekatnetmagelito_lupenafastasleep
  • Reply 2 of 19
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    Please, update the post iOS 9.3 looks to be an interesting update with lots of new features, some of them looks interesting. And there's also a tvOS update too, also with new features that would please many.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Yup. Been predicting this since the beginning. The Hermes edition more or less confirmed this would happen.

Hard to imagine why anyone would need the reason explicitly outlined to them.
    edited January 2016 lito_lupenanolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Not sure why it confirms new watches are coming...I bought a silver watch and a black watch and it's a pain changing between the two.  
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Here's a couple. For me, not trashing your expensive leather band while working out. I have the modern buckle (quite an expensive band) and have no desire to sweat on it when going to Bikram Yoga but want the tracking info. I usually take the time to change to a white sport band but I'd much rather get an aluminum sport and not have to switch bands. 

Or, I don't want to ding my stainless watch when rock climbing so I'd rather have the aluminum on.

Also, battery life, so your watch didn't charge because it was slightly off-center on the charging base, grab your backup watch. Lame I know, but another reason to be able to pair with 2 watches.
    redraider11lito_lupena
  • Reply 6 of 19
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    It's unknown if Apple plans to offer multi-watch support to end users whenever iOS 9.3 publicly launches. But doing so could allow some of Apple's more affluent and fashion-conscious consumers to own multiple styles and colors for different occasions.
    I'm not affluent, but I couldn't decide between Space Black and Stainless Steel, but now with the 2nd gen I can buy the Space Black watch and have both.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    This has got to pretty a pretty edge use case.  Weird how it ended up anywhere but the bottom of Apple's list of priorities.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    radnuker said:

Also, battery life, so your watch didn't charge because it was slightly off-center on the charging base, grab your backup watch. Lame I know, but another reason to be able to pair with 2 watches.
    Not lame at all. How about your day watch, and night watch that you use for sleep monitoring? One charges while you sleep, the other charges while you're awake. Or the watch you wear to the gym -- come home form work, switch watches, shower in it, go out to dinner, sleep in it, shower in it again, swap when getting dressed for a fully charged unblemished work watch.

Or how about wanting to wear your Watch Hermes -- with the exclusive Hermes watch face, and then switch to an aluminum Sport with the Mickey Mouse face to go to the beach.

crowley said:
    This has got to pretty a pretty edge use case.  Weird how it ended up anywhere but the bottom of Apple's list of priorities.
    Not a watch person huh? If you were you wouldn't question this for a minute. A move like this will actually drive sales among such affluent people as well. This was probably at the top of Jony Ives list to begin with. Or ditch the gold Edition watch when you are wearing silver accessories with an outfit, or alternate with the Rose gold Edition. Or alternate the gold Sport with the Rose Gold. Or the Space Black, or Space Gray with the silver watches ... and on and on ...
    edited January 2016 redraider11radarthekatlito_lupenanolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 19
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    chrise said:
    Thank god, I'm so sick of having to pair each of my Apple Watches Editions every morning.
    That's for sure.  Some days I just want the normal gold look and others the rose gold look. Who cares about anything else.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I can see a lot of Apple Watch Sport Edition owners keeping their V1 Watch and maybe adding a nicer V2 Watch.  So they can do exactly what people here have already suggested; switching to the sport edition for workouts and outdoor activities and then to a nicer model with a leather or steel band for work and socializing.  I hope it's more than just a convenience for developers.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I have a Sport and SS Watch.  I use the SS for messing about with development and testing.  I'd love to be able to use the Sport where I want an Apple Watch but don't want to risk the expensive one (yet not need to keep two phones around to do what I want without risking crashes and stuff on beta software on my "main").

Should have been there from the start.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    muliple is different from simultaneous, right? right now i can pair and unpair an applewatch so that i can pair and unpair another applewatch with my iphone. unless the software update means you won't have to do this pair/unpair exercise anymore to switch between your applewatches. i think it's neat. can't wait. 
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Apple didn't explain why users might want to connect multiple Apple Watches to an iPhone, but it's easy to see why the capability might be advantageous from a developer's perspective. 
    its not necessary to explain why -- the use case is obvious. you have two watches, or want to use a spouse's, etc.
    lito_lupena
  • Reply 14 of 19
    jackansi said:
    Should have been there from the start.
    in a perfect world, where time can be stopped at will, yes. but back here on earth, things must be prioritized due to time constraints.

citing apple's wealth and suggesting they simply throw more warm bodies at a late project doesnt alleviate this problem, and can in fact slow things down. the mythical man-month:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
    fastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mac_128 said:

Not a watch person huh? If you were you wouldn't question this for a minute. A move like this will actually drive sales among such affluent people as well. This was probably at the top of Jony Ives list to begin with. Or ditch the gold Edition watch when you are wearing silver accessories with an outfit, or alternate with the Rose gold Edition. Or alternate the gold Sport with the Rose Gold. Or the Space Black, or Space Gray with the silver watches ... and on and on ...
    I'm not denying the case exists, just its proliferation.  I think it's edge.  The "watch people" you refer to are more likely still hitched to the luxury mechanical horse.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Not a big deal for me. I have the Apple Watch with black stainless steel band and it's the only watch I need.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I don't think this is limited to pairing multiple watches, but rather multiple devices i.e. the rumored i-ring, i-bracelet or i-necklace or i-shoe?

Now they figured out how to make components small enough to fit in a watch, so the list of next device types is really endless...

Who said Apple ran out of ideas? They just built a headquarter bigger than Pentagon... Surely they are working on a few things - with margins of +60% and ridiculous growth potential from a platform of 700 mio existing customers...
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I don't know why some people find it so odd that some would want to pair more than one watch.  I have wanted this since day one.  I sold my space grey watch when the gold one was introduced.  I'd have a stainless steel and an aluminum.  I think the multiple watch market is larger than Apple anticipated.