First look: Night Shift mode eases nighttime eye strain

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    General/Accessibility/increase contrast/reduce white point helps already a lot. 
  • Reply 22 of 30
    matrix077 said:
    Not really sure what Jesus has to do with it, but if you don't like it don't use it.
    Yeah.. neither was I. Somehow I don't think Jesus is a fan of "dark" theme. :)
    Never mind Jesus.  What would Steve like?  /s
    tenlynolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 30
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 761member
    Tyleryy said:
    Apple thought a piss yellow screen is better then black/dark mode? Wow
    Add a new graphic element to every single aspect of iOS, or add a function that scientifically changes screen warmth from a single control...tough call for Apple.
    edited January 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 24 of 30
    netrox said:
    Tyleryy said:
    Apple thought a piss yellow screen is better then black/dark mode? Wow
    Apparently, you don't know much about f.lux. The dark theme will NOT address the problem associated with sleep. Dark theme still emit a lot of blue light while "piss yellow" reduces the amount of blue light significantly not to disrupt your natural production of melatonin. I do want the dark theme too but that does not help with the circadian rhythm.

Agreed, "reverse color mode" does not address the blue light problem at all.  After trying f.lux, reading their posted research and referenced papers:

and actually buying and trying a pair of blue-blocking glasses, I am one of the people who wrote to Apple to request that the APIs be opened up so that users would have control over their own displays.  If you have any interest at all, take the time to research this using the tools provided by Michael and Lorna Herf (the developers of f.lux) and you will find that color temperature is specific to the device, and the blue-blocking glasses that are available have a wide range of color spectrum-blocking differences and effectiveness:

Many thanks to Michael and Lorna for their efforts to bring this to the attention of all of us, and to make references and tools available to a wider audience to further the science!

• Reply 25 of 30
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Will this make Maps smarter about shifting to night mode a little more in sync with ambient conditions?  (On occasion, I've seen it remain in daytime mode in near-dark conditions, which can be distracting whilst driving.)
    do you mean like during a storm? I'm not sure how it would be able to detect that the sky is very dark, other than based on time & geolocale.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

jonl said:
    Glaringly inaccurate colors, yay! I would never use this, and I say this sitting in front of my calibrated PC monitor at 2 AM, about to go to bed and sleep like a baby as always.
    you're making a common techie mistake -- assuming everyone is just like you.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    What would be useful is filtering out as much blue light as possible so you don't lose your night vision.
  • Reply 28 of 30

Honestly, I am not worried about this feature. I have an iPhone 6 plus and my wife does iPhone 5. Neither me nor my wife going to use this feature because both of us don't like the orange color screen. I think it is better to use any screen protector which can provide same facilities like this feature. I intend to mention about preventing the harmful blue light. Currently I am using a screen protector named ocushiled which can prevent harmful blue light and helps to sleep well.

• Reply 29 of 30
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    Blue screen protectors are a poor replacement for this feature. Natural light surrounding us changes colour temperature throughout the day. This temperature varies, from over 5,000K (sunny day at midday) down to around 3,000K (one hour before sunset), to barely 2,000K (incadescent light bulb in your home at night), to well below 2,000 (candlelight).

All this light, regardless of the colour temperature, is perceived by humans as white. However, because our brain makes the necessary adjustments, we don' realise how vastly different the colour cast is, depending on time of day and light source. You can easily notice this when you take pictures (or video) with a digital camera with auto-white-ballance turned off. Indoor shots with incadescent lights are extremely orange; outdoor shots under sunshine (or worse, overcast) are extremely blue. The brain fully adjusts, just as the camera does (with auto-white-balance on).

Having a permanent screen protector that filters blue light is not much help. It filters the light regardless of where you are and what time of day it is. With such a filter, the colour balance is permamently skewed to the warmer spectrum, making the image orange when watched outdoors during the day.

Apple's "NightShift" (or whatever the name is of that third-party tool of before) is the most optimal solution. It adapts the colour temperature with the time of the day.

One minor detail; the cold (blue) light doesn't affect the quality of your sleep; it affects the time it takes you to fall asleep. The natural colour temperature for the time when we go to sleep is very warm (either the sunset light, or the light of a burning fire). When we are faced with cold light before going to sleep, body interprets that cold light as daylight, meaning the time when we should be awake, fighting the desire to sleep.

Throughout the human history, he light sources we used after sunset produced extremely warm light (fire, replaced by incandescent light). Our bodies and our minds have established very predictable rhythm around the change of light temperature: when the light turns warm, we go to sleep. Finally, there is a device that respects this rhythm and adjusts accordingly without having to look for third-party work-arounds.