Software bug shuts down Nest thermostats, turns off heating for unlucky customers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    We like our Nest thermostat, and we're currently sitting in a comfortably heated apartment.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 22 of 83
    I'm on my 4th Nest thermostat in 4 years. The first one was dead out of the box. The second, third, and fourth don't read humidity accurately (they all read 5% too low) and will occasionally "go to deep sleep" and fail to wake up and turn on the heat unless I do something to "wake it up" like walk by or wave my hand in front or control the thermostat remotely (which looses connection seemingly when I need the capability the most). They also occasionally under-report usage. Another big complaint is the Nest's terribly inefficient use of auxiliary heat on heat pumps - they often turn on auxiliary heat unnecessarily and keep it on until the end of the current cycle which is not only inefficient, but causes the system to overshoot the set point.

I really, really wanted to love the Nest thermostat. It's beautiful (for a thermostat) and the idea of logging and remote control are very useful to me. However, I've had nothing but disappointment after disappointment with my Nests. It seems like every time they force a firmware update to fix one thing, something else breaks. Coincidence or otherwise, the problems I've experience increased not long after Google acquired Nest. A thermostat has a rather simple job to do - I simply can't wrap my head around the fact that Nest has had over 4 years to refine this product, yet it is still missing features and has new bugs.

I've threatened myself many times with ripping my Nest off the wall and reinstalling the "builder's grade", non-programmable, "dumb" thermostat that came with my heat pump. It did exactly what it was designed to do. Perfectly. Without fail.
    Deeedscornchip
  • Reply 23 of 83
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    pmz said:
    If this were an Apple product it would be CNN headline news for the rest of the week.

This is the kind of thing that prevents me from getting a smart thermostat. I know I would never buy a Nest anyway, but there are others out of there from companies that have been making thermostats for generations. Still, this is the kind of the thing that puts me off the entire concept. Very little gain + much risk.
    i think that's hyperbolic. the gains are great -- super easy programming, remote operation, notifications, reporting, and adjustment from the sofa. before this article is never heard of any outages, so there have been no risks to me. 
  • Reply 24 of 83
    larrya said:
    Nest software updates - from the people who brought you Android. 
    Why do appliances even need software updates? They just do one thing. They are not goddamned PCs.
    Is this sarcasm I hope?  Almost all of my appliances have touchscreen interfaces.  Updates provide new features and efficiencies.  Again I hope you were kidding.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 25 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    larrya said:
    Why do appliances even need software updates? They just do one thing. They are not goddamned PCs.
    To add more data collecting features that are sent home to Google no doubt.   That video feed they collect 24/7 probably has a better face recognition now...  My first version is still going thank heavens.  Perhaps the early ones cannot be updated the same way since they were made prior to Google take over and maybe lack the 'backdoor'.  Any info on this?
    edited January 2016 stevieDeeeds
  • Reply 26 of 83
    Welcome to home automation. Never install automatic updates.
    Deeeds
  • Reply 27 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Is this sarcasm I hope?  Almost all of my appliances have touchscreen interfaces.  Updates provide new features and efficiencies.  Again I hope you were kidding.
    You have a Nest I assume?  Can you give some examples of interface changes specifically for the Nest you envisage?  Perhaps a 'Like' and 'Share' icon?
    Deeeds
  • Reply 28 of 83
    JeoJeo Posts: 2member
    Can't wait for the self driving cars.
    Deeedscornchip
  • Reply 29 of 83
    pmz said:
    If this were an Apple product it would be CNN headline news for the rest of the week.
    Not checked CNN, but it's made the BBC... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35311447
  • Reply 30 of 83
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    We like our Nest thermostat, and we're currently sitting in a comfortably heated apartment.
    Wait.

tzeshan said:
    Imagine this happens to your Google self driving car on the freeway. The brake lights will not turn on as the car quickly slows down to not moving.
    and then you get rear ended at 70mph and dozens of people die. It isn't a joke or funny.

Imagine a failure mode with one of these things that instead of off, fails to full on. If heat, your upstairs bedroom goes to 140 deg F, or if A/C goes to 20deg F, and kills your infant kid. This IoT stuff is risky, and while the comments regarding who is behind it and whether or not an Apple product would do this are entertaining, the truth is there is no such thing as safe technology, and this is all caveat emptor territory. I was in the market for a new set of smoke detectors, and opted for simple, battery powered models that have been in use for decades. Not that the new ones didn't offer advantages, but the reliability of the Nest ones was sketchy at best. I will never own a Nest product. Never ever.

I don't need or want a refridgerator, or toaster, or oven with a fucking touchscreen. No need for those features or efficiencies on that kind of thing.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    From what I gather, this is caused because the thermostat basically leeches power from the line that is normally being used for other things. This is a delicate process that can either screw up the hvac system (too much draw) or screw up the thermostat (too little draw), and is a common complaint and source of problems for the thermostat. I have a Nest thermostat, but I ran an actual power wire to the thermostat (I think it's the G wire, on the furnace it's a green wire) in hopes that everything else worked. So far (about 6 months) no issues with the power.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    eightzero said:

I don't need or want a refridgerator, or toaster, or oven with a fucking touchscreen. No need for those features or efficiencies on that kind of thing.
    Touch screen is not so bad, so you can enter the cooking time or temperature. My fridge, dishwasher, microwave and oven all have touch screen type panels, but I agree in part that too many computerized features on those types of appliances is unnecessary, especially connecting to the Internet.

I saw an LG fridge advertised that had cameras inside to take pictures of everything in there so when you were at the store you could log in and take a look around to see if you had OJ or whatever.
    edited January 2016 cornchipcnocbui
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Google and operating systems.... the new DOS....

Doh.
    steviehydrogenDeeeds
  • Reply 34 of 83
    I must be lucky, haven't had an issue at all. I once had a Lux programmable give out in the middle of a cold snap, woke up to 50 degree rooms. I've got zone heating, and only have the Nest on the main floor of the house, so one zone wouldn't be that drastic anyway.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Luckily we had no issues with our Nest (which was given to me a few years ago).   We were out of town for 3 weeks and I would have hated to have this happen while I was gone as it was wicked cold while we were away.   The only problem we had was that I could suddenly not connect with my iPhone to it while we were away.  Finally fixed it by logging out of the phone app and back in.  Was strange.

• Reply 36 of 83
    larrya said:
    Ya... They have little experience in updating devices with new versions so guess what... :)
    cornchip
  • Reply 37 of 83
    Is Nest going to compensate people for frozen pipes?
    Deeeds
  • Reply 38 of 83
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Great... now we have to treat thermostats like PC's.  Way to go Nest.  I recently toyed with getting one... I don't like that Google owns it, now... I doubt I would even let it into my house.

Deeedscornchip
  • Reply 39 of 83
    I love my Nest thermostats, have two, upstairs and downstairs.  I preordered them when first announced and they have worked flawlessly since.  Even the software updates have installed seamlessly and they have saved me money on my power bill.  They have been a great investment.  I wish some other technologies would work as well as these have. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 40 of 83
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Haha. Huge mistake.
    On top of that, "draining the battery" should not be a problem at all because all devices are on 220 (110 in certain areas)? Right?