Fassbender, Winslet earn Oscar nods for roles in Steve Jobs film

Posted:
in General Discussion
Awards season continues to be kind to the stars of Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs biopic, as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences bestowed one nomination apiece on Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslet for their roles in the film.

Fassbender is up against Bryan Cranston, Eddie Redmayne, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Matt Damon for best actor in a leading role. Winslet takes on Alicia Vikander, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Rachel McAdams, and Rooney Mara for best actress in a supporting role.

Seth Rogen and Jeff Daniels were left out, as were director Danny Boyle and screenwriter Aaron Sorkin.

The Oscar nods mark the second time this season that Winslet and Fassbender have been recognized for their work on the film. Both were nominated -- alongside Sorkin -- for Golden Globes, which both Winslet and Sorkin took home.

Steve Jobs's critical success is a welcome upgrade from the relative failure of the film at the box office. It was unable to recoup its production and marketing costs during its domestic run, but wide international distribution has just begun.

The film will be available on digital services starting Feb. 2, with DVD and Blu-ray releases to follow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It was a decent performance, but I didn't believe he was Jobs.
    gtr
  • Reply 2 of 13
    DiCaprio's going to win the Oscar just because they don't want him launching himself into space without a pressure suit in his next film from pure desperation. 
    gtr
  • Reply 3 of 13
    "Ok, so we agree on Cranston, Redmayne, DiCaprio, and Damon. Right?"
    "Yeah, but we need one more."
    "Eh, throw Fassbender in there. I liked him in Prometheus."
    "Seriously? Ok."
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Good performances, indeed, but the movie itself was moot. An endless, arbitrarily poignant conversation of Steve VS the world.  
    irelandgtr
  • Reply 5 of 13
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Steve Jobs's critical success is a welcome upgrade from the relative failure of the film at the box office. It was unable to recoup its production and marketing costs during its domestic run, but wide international distribution has just begun.

The film will be available on digital services starting Feb. 2, with DVD and Blu-ray releases to follow. 
    "Welcome"? What is this editorializing? 

It's not welcome to anyone who cares about the history of Steve Jobs and Apple, which is buried under a soap opera about a rejected daughter, a screwed co-founder, a stolen operating system, etc., etc. This movie should die penniless and ignominious.

At least Sorkin didn't get nominated. If he'd done an adult script the mobie might have has a chance. In fact, the movie is a national disgrace.
    jony0gtr
  • Reply 6 of 13
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

flaneur said:

... the relative failure of the film at the box office. ..
    ... In fact, the movie is a national disgrace.
    That is why it should win.  Many times the winners are from movies that stink and made no money.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    icoco3 said:

flaneur said:
    ... In fact, the movie is a national disgrace.
    That is why it should win.  Many times the winners are from movies that stink and made no money.
    I suspect your took him up incorrectly.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I enjoyed the movie from start to finish. I don't know about the historical inaccuracies, but I did get a Steve Jobs/Apple vibe from it. I believe it was pulled from theaters because of all the other minimalist attempts at chronicling his life preceding it and the public grew weary of Jobs overexposure!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    ireland said:
    icoco3 said:

I think you misunderstood my comment...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    icoco3 said:
    ireland said:
    I think you misunderstood my comment...
    Perhaps. All's well that ends well.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Please, don't mention it again, it's a flop and will stay that way no matter how many 'nods'.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    knowitall said:
    Please, don't mention it again, it's a flop and will stay that way no matter how many 'nods'.
    Flop has to do with finance, it says nothing about the quality of the movie itself, so I don't get your point.

I know hundreds of movies which were financial flops yet are quite good.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Fassbinder to his credit did not do a impersonation of Jobs but instead created a character that was believable as the legendary Jobs. This was not a SNL skit but a movie with a really talented actor in the lead.