Apple seeds 1st public betas of iOS 9.3 & OS X 10.11.4, 2nd developer beta of iOS 9.3

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Apple on Thursday issued the first public betas of iOS 9.3 and OS X 10.11.4, following up on developer betas released earlier in the week. [Updated]

The software should be available to anyone registered in Apple's Beta Software Program. Functionally, both betas should be identical to the developer code released on Monday.

iOS 9.3 introduced a number of new features, such as a Night Shift mode for reduced eye strain, individually encrypted notes, and extra 3D Touch actions. People can also pair multiple Apple Watches with a single iPhone.

OS X 10.11.4 includes developer-oriented improvements to Safari, Live Photos support in Messages, and the same Notes security found in iOS 9.3.

As both updates are relatively early into testing, they're unlikely to be officially released any time soon. Apple has yet to even finalize iOS 9.2.1, which is much smaller in scope than 9.3.

Update: Developers should have access to iOS 9.3 beta 1.1, which fixes some early installation problems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I almost wonder if they'll scrub 9.2.1 and just release 9.3. It seems fairly stable, just some display issues on occasion. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I'm confused. Is Apple going to skip 10.11.3?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    chris.com said:
    Yeah, where's .3?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Yes I can concur this new beta fixes the iPad install issue where after installing, the device would "hang" at the large center APPLE and never complete the launch sequence. 

This update is snappy, quick and makes things really fly. The new features are great and besides that first install hiccup this should turnout to be the update that gets individuals who had not jumped to IOS 9 yet, to do so as everyone can benefit from the night shifting screen changing, even if they don't think they need the rest of the new IOS 9 features. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    razormaid said:
    Yes I can concur this new beta fixes the iPad install issue where after installing, the device would "hang" at the large center APPLE and never complete the launch sequence. 

This update is snappy, quick and makes things really fly. The new features are great and besides that first install hiccup this should turnout to be the update that gets individuals who had not jumped to IOS 9 yet, to do so as everyone can benefit from the night shifting screen changing, even if they don't think they need the rest of the new IOS 9 features. 
    I updated my iPad last night and it is hung with the Apple Logo.  I tried to restart my iPad and no luck.  I tried synching it to my iTunes to restore it and iTunes says it doesn't recognize the iPad.  Waiting to call Apple Support which doesn't open until 8 AM Central Time.  
  • Reply 6 of 12
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member

I updated my iPad last night and it is hung with the Apple Logo.  I tried to restart my iPad and no luck.  I tried synching it to my iTunes to restore it and iTunes says it doesn't recognize the iPad.  Waiting to call Apple Support which doesn't open until 8 AM Central Time.  
    I had the same issue with my iPhone... spent an hour in recovery mode status saying in iTunes "waiting for iPhone". only third attempt to recover the iPhone worked and put me back to iOS 9.2 - i just had to be very very patient. but the key is to set the device into recovery mode, than it can work...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Massive battery drain- 9% in 30 minutes on iPhone 6S Plus. Not happy
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ascegan said:
    Massive battery drain- 9% in 30 minutes on iPhone 6S Plus. Not happy
    Im seeing poor battery life on with both iOS and OS X updates. My MBPr is getting murdered on battery life, less than 2hrs from full charge to shut down. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    hypoluxa said:
    chris.com said:
    Yeah, where's .3?
    10.11.3 is about to be released to the public as a final release--they're not skipping it.
    10.11.4 is only in its first public beta and is probably a month or two away still.

• Reply 10 of 12
    razormaid said:

I called Apple support and they did a nice job helping me restore my iPad to IOS 9.2  Unfortunately once restored I was unable to update my restored iPad to my iCloud backup since it was a beta version backup.  Live and learn.  I have had to download all of the Apps i previously had as well as recreate my folders.
  • Reply 11 of 12

I called Apple support and they did a nice job helping me restore my iPad to IOS 9.2  Unfortunately once restored I was unable to update my restored iPad to my iCloud backup since it was a beta version backup.  Live and learn.  I have had to download all of the Apps i previously had as well as recreate my folders.
    I wonder if this inability to reclaim a backup for a failed OS X Beta is true as well.  Not being able to access a Beta backup for OS X might be more labor intensive coupled with the loss of backed up data than it was for IOS.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    iOS 9.3 also includes an iCloud iBooks library, allowing users to sync their iBooks library across their devices.