F.lux says it is 'original innovator' of nighttime display color tech, asks Apple to open Night Shi

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Oh, come on. The effect of blue and red light on alertness has been well known for decades. What f.lux is doing is trivial, and not some rocket-science innovation to get upset about …and there's certainly no research that they've done on this topic.

I myself have been switching the color settings on my Macs to accomodate for this for more than 10 years now (way before f.lux). A simple AppleScript that automatically switches Display Profiles by time of day. Sure, you can add some bells and whistles but the idea is exactly the same. I welcome Apple's move to add this to the system as a pure convenience factor.
    edited January 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Oh, come on. The effect of blue and red light on alertness has been well known for decades. What f.lux is doing is trivial, and not some rocket-science innovation to get upset about …and there's certainly no research that they've done on this topic.

I myself have been switching the color settings on my Macs to accomodate for this for more than 10 years now (way before f.lux). A simple AppleScript that automatically switches Display Profiles by time of day. Sure, you can add some bells and whistles but the idea is exactly the same. I welcome Apple's move to add this to the system as a pure convenience factor.
    This. As far as I can tell f.lux isn't doing anything that's not been done before and I don't get the sense they have any strong patents around their implementation. They had to know Apple would eventually integrate this at a system level. And who knows maybe Apple will eventually open up an API for this.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 52
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    If an "innovation" can be reduced to a slider two levels deep in the settings, then it's probably not all that innovative.

In the case of flux it was someone else's research turned into a basic app. It seems that Apple at least are giving consumers the option after preventing flux from side loading on iOS. 

And flux are wrong here, we don't need an api for this. The App Store doesn't need 100+ screen tinting apps in the same way it didn't need hundreds of "flashlight" apps. 
    Great comparison.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    If the feature is going to be built into iOS, is there a need for f.lux at all? Count me confused. It is a shame that Apple tramples on the little guy like this.
    There is certain functionality that belongs in the system space, not in the app space. I would argue that this functionality belongs in the system space to make the whole user look & feel more consistent. Apple is all about how the system "feels" so it is no surprise to me that they incorporated this at the system level, It gives them more control.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 25 of 52
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    If there is a company involved, Apple
    should just buy it.
    stevie
  • Reply 26 of 52
    netmage said:
    should just buy it.
    Why? f.lux doesn't have any valuable IP and Apple can easily develop this in house.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 27 of 52
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    So when Apple puts existing tech in a smartphone it's innovative, when someone else does it's not? 
    Who is saying this is innovative? And f.lux has little to no valuable IP around this. This was a feature not a product. They had to know Apple would eventually incorporate it as an OS level feature.

And they should've expected it after they intentionally attempted to break developer guidelines by sideloading the app.  The notion that they're now some sort of victim is laughable.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member

tenly said:

i would like to see Apple open up the API's so that other apps can be created (by f.lux and others) to explore future innovations that build off of the current implementations.
    I look forward to an app store filled with auto-dimming apps sitting alongside all of the flashlight apps.
    sergiozafrodri
  • Reply 29 of 52
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    as has been said, this was a feature, not a business model. useful features get assimilated.

you dont see word processors or games paying each other for cloned features, do you?
  • Reply 30 of 52
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    netmage said:
    should just buy it.
    buy it for what purpose? its a good feature, but theres no IP, or code, or business model that is needed here. they dont need anything from the flux devs in order to implement this feature into their own product.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    latifbp said:
    If the feature is going to be built into iOS, is there a need for f.lux at all? Count me confused. It is a shame that Apple tramples on the little guy like this.
    Apple has an App Store rule that apps that replicate core OS operations get denied a place in the App Store.
    How many apps have gotten replicated, and suddenly became a built-in feature of the OS? Those developer's apps that were once allowed in the App Store were removed and their income from it summarily cut off. 
    cnocbuimacgui
  • Reply 32 of 52
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    philotech said:
    From the article:
     In the end, Sherlock 3 effectively killed Watson, spawning the neologism "Sherlocked."

I had always believed to be "Sherlocked" meant that the functionality of a program/app was usurped by and included in the operating system (by Apple, in the Apple world). Hence, Spotlight killing Sherlock spawned the neologism of being sherlocked.
    No.

Your definition is correct, but this comes directly from Apple directly copying Karelia's Watson and distributing Sherlock 3 with their operating system. 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2006/01/2410/

"Here's how I see it," Jobs said — I'm loosely paraphrasing.  "You know those handcars, the little machines that people stand on and pump to move along on the train tracks?  That's Karelia.  Apple is the steam train that owns the tracks."
    stevie
  • Reply 33 of 52
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    igorsky said:

tenly said:

i would like to see Apple open up the API's so that other apps can be created (by f.lux and others) to explore future innovations that build off of the current implementations.
    I look forward to an app store filled with auto-dimming apps sitting alongside all of the flashlight apps.
    Who cares how many crappy copies end up in the App Store?  How does that affect you or anybody else?  90% of the existing apps are crap.  Unless you're planning to print out a list of all available apps and you're concerned about the extra 2 sheets of paper it would take?  And who's to say that one of those crappy dimming apps isn't going to contain some innovative use that we haven't seen before?
    Why is it so difficult or annoying to find dozens or even hundreds of crappy apps in the App Store?  My search results are always filtered and sorted so that the better ones appear at the top of the results!  

This seems to be completely a non-argument for or against anything.  Nobody will argue this point - that a whole bunch of crappy copycat apps will appear - but at the same time, I don't see how that fact affects any of us in any negative or inconvenient way.

stevie
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    vmarks said:

"Here's how I see it," Jobs said — I'm loosely paraphrasing.  "You know those handcars, the little machines that people stand on and pump to move along on the train tracks?  That's Karelia.  Apple is the steam train that owns the tracks."
    Heh. What a prince.  :/
    stevieargonaut
  • Reply 35 of 52
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    igorsky said:

tenly said:

That's exactly how it works on jailbroken  phones :)
    stevie
  • Reply 36 of 52
    latifbp said:
    Apple has an App Store rule that apps that replicate core OS operations get denied a place in the App Store.
    How many apps have gotten replicated, and suddenly became a built-in feature of the OS? Those developer's apps that were once allowed in the App Store were removed and their income from it summarily cut off. 
    That's why they need to continually innovate and come up with new revenue streams.  If you sit still and try and cash in on past successes, someone else will come and eat your breakfast, lunch and dinner.  
  • Reply 37 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    ummm if this feature is built in system wide what's the point of being able to download f.lux
  • Reply 38 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    That's why they need to continually innovate and come up with new revenue streams.  If you sit still and try and cash in on past successes, someone else will come and eat your breakfast, lunch and dinner.  
    Then why bother innovating if the big dogs are just going to take it away from you? 
  • Reply 39 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Then why bother innovating if the big dogs are just going to take it away from you? 
    This is not innovation; innovation could be patented and that's what would protect your from the "big dogs"(tm).
  • Reply 40 of 52
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Even to this day, Apple won't let apps access Settings so why should they expect Apple to allow access to display temperature?