Fourth-gen Apple TVs spontaneously awaken, power on their HDTVs, users complain

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87

An entire army of short sellers are busy commentators this morning... Incredible how you can excited about imaginary problems...

edited January 2016
  • Reply 22 of 87
    deepkid said:
    atv4 has been the most annoying device rollout in a while. i love both my 2nd and 3rd gen atvs but apple has been entirely too sloppy with ios, mac os and now atv over the last 2 years.
    Agree!  I have three atv3s, but atv4's lack of audio ports and display glitches (I just replaced it last night as it sometimes has horizontal bands of static) has been very frustrating.  But I have NOT had any issues with my Panasonic TV spontaneously turning on.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 23 of 87
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Any data as to what types of TVs are being used?
  • Reply 24 of 87
    Seems right. Apple has never been able to conquer sleep/wake. Can't count the number of OS X releases that had Macs waking up at random times, especially after 3am. Another example of Apple Core Rot.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    eightzero said:
    "What happened to Nest could never happen to an Apple product."
    Possible thousands in damages from burst pipes vs slight inconvenience,... Yeah, just the same...  Good god.
    nolamacguypscooter63jbdragon
  • Reply 26 of 87
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    deepkid said:
    atv4 has been the most annoying device rollout in a while. i love both my 2nd and 3rd gen atvs but apple has been entirely too sloppy with ios, mac os and now atv over the last 2 years.
    Another affirmation without basis. Go on, tell us more.
    JamesBB
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Happened to me a couple of times. Solution for me was to unplug the power cable for about a minute and plugged it back in. Works as it's supposed to now. 
  • Reply 28 of 87
    I've never had this problem. My cat, kids, wife or myself have bumped the sensitive Siri Remote which turns it on, but that's obviously the cause. I suspect that's what a lot of these complaints are about. Love HDMI-CEC. I don't have to use Harmony App anymore can control my sound bar volume with Siri Remote and turn TV on and off. Panasonic Plasma here obviously a couple years old. I also think the Apple TV with the added Apple Remote App on iOS far exceeds previous generations I'm okay without optical output. 
  • Reply 29 of 87
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Experienced this a few times weeks back, but seems ok now. Not sure what's changed.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Yep I can confirm this has happened to me a few times. Definitely annoying.
    It's not just AppleTV. I've got a Roku that sometimes does this.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Mine doesn't turn itself on, but it frequently "barfs" in the middle of watching a show, and then none of the "apps" that require a network connection work any longer, even though the network is connected.  A restart does not fix it.  I have to pull the power cord, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in.  Not too happy with this new ATV so far.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    This has never happened to me. I have my ATV4 connected directly to my receiver so maybe that's why. 
  • Reply 33 of 87
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Never happened on my set up.  Then again our cat passed away a while back.
    argonaut
  • Reply 34 of 87
    This worked for me. Set the trackpad on Apple TV to "slow". Once I did this, the problem disappeared 
    ai46
  • Reply 35 of 87
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Can I ask a question? Is it now normal for folk to leave their TV sets in standby?
    ai46
  • Reply 36 of 87
    gatorguy said:
    Some people have reported success in closing some (or all) apps before putting their Apple TV to sleep, or else restarting their unit first, or even turning off ad tracking. Those just concerned with keeping a TV off can disable HDMI-CEC in tvOS settings.
    I wasn't aware Apple TV's tracked users for ad purposes. If they do I would assume it's opt-in rather than default. 

EDIT: Well never mind. They do and it isn't. For some reason I thought Apple TV was running a different version of iOS that didn't include anonymized default user tracking.
    Duh!

Is this relevant, or did you simply want to make the point that Apple tracks usage like Google? We know that Apple tracks usage, but we hope they don't track it when you opt out — something which Google did and was fined $22million for. 

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/f-t-c-fines-google-22-5-million-for-safari-privacy-violations
    edited January 2016 suddenly newtonargonaut
  • Reply 37 of 87
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Can I ask a question? Is it now normal for folk to leave their TV sets in standby?
    Yes.

My AppleTV hasn't ever done this. Only times it comes on unexpectedly is when I've leant on the Siri Remote or something.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    jensonb said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Yes.

My AppleTV hasn't ever done this. Only times it comes on unexpectedly is when I've leant on the Siri Remote or something.
    Wow. I always hit the switch so I guess I'll never see this. 
    argonaut
  • Reply 39 of 87
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Some people have reported success in closing some (or all) apps before putting their Apple TV to sleep, or else restarting their unit first, or even turning off ad tracking. Those just concerned with keeping a TV off can disable HDMI-CEC in tvOS settings.
    I wasn't aware Apple TV's tracked users for ad purposes. If they do I would assume it's opt-in rather than default. 

EDIT: Well never mind. They do and it isn't. For some reason I thought Apple TV was running a different version of iOS that didn't include anonymized default user tracking.
    Duh!

Is this relevant, or did you simply want to make the point that Apple tracks usage like Google? We know that Apple tracks usage, but we hope they don't track it when you opt out — something which Google did and was fined $22million for. 

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/f-t-c-fines-google-22-5-million-for-safari-privacy-violations
    Nope, honest observation. I coulda sworn I had read sometime back that Apple didn't track TV users for ads. I was obviously mistaken. Nor do I think "Apple tracks usage like Google". AFAIK they don't. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 40 of 87
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Another first world problem to deal with. How will we ever cope?
    ai46nolamacguyargonaut