'Apple Watch 2' might not make anticipated March debut, report says

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2016
Those anticipating Apple to unveil a second-generation Apple Watch in March might have to wait a bit longer, as a report on Friday cobbles together indirect evidence to cast plausible doubt on recent rumors.

Divining a prediction from multiple industry sources, TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino is skeptical that Apple is preparing to debut the so-called "Apple Watch 2" in two months.

"Design partnerships, accessories, that kind of thing maybe but not a 'Watch 2.0' with a bunch of new hardware features like a camera," Panzarino says. "I could be wrong, of course, but I've heard enough to put it out there."

Supply chain checks conducted by Creative Strategies analyst Ben Bajarin don't seem to suggest a major product release in the first half of 2016, at least not one on the scale of a second-gen Apple Watch. Bajarin points to order cuts from Apple's usual suppliers, noting orders would have been placed late last year for a device set to launch sometime in the next six months, the report says. Original Apple Watch preorders went live last April, with production units shipping later that month.

Further, Panzarino isn't hearing anything from sources within the developer community, usually a good barometer for reading new product releases. Apple traditionally reaches out to select devs to test the software and hardware experience of a new platform or major update prior to shipping. However, the company managed to keep a tight seal on software makers leading up to the original Watch announcement by maintaining strict secrecy protocols that included, among other things, a secret test lab.

Recent whispers from the Far East claim Apple Watch 2 is set to enter trial production later this month at Apple supplier Quanta, a timeline that jibes with unconfirmed rumors that surfaced in December. Other predictions, however, place a second-gen Watch debut in mid-2016 at the earliest.

While the Apple Watch is a question mark, Panzarino's sources have indicated that Apple is planning something for March, perhaps a special event. Aside from Watch, Apple is rumored to be working on a 4-inch iPhone model that could see release this spring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    So Apple "might not" make an a "anticipated March debut" date that Apple has never announced... ever??
    Rayz2016mike1anantksundaramcornchipcityguidemattinozargonautjbdragonjbdragonjackansi
  • Reply 2 of 46
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Yes, they have not met the rumored date, so obviously a big fail (or is it imaginary fail...).
    mike1cornchipjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay, a new rumor says the old rumor was just a rumor. Does that about cover it? Why publish this crap. Some people actually believe this stuff and make buying decisions based on it. Apple should start suing the crap out of rumor sites for financial damage caused by rumors.
    edited January 2016 jbdragonquadra 610
  • Reply 4 of 46
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Apple is doomed! SELL!
    felixercornchipargonautjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 46
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    sflocal said:
    So Apple "might not" make an a "anticipated March debut" date that Apple has never announced... ever??
    Exactly. What's funny is half the folks out there would be furious that there's a new one just a year later
    larryajbdragonjackansi
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Will be interesting to see what Apple ends up going with for a refresh cycle.  I love my Watch, but don't think it's something I'd upgrade every year or two.  Maybe they'll have an annual release for the first few versions as they improve the tech quickly, then slow it down?  Idk.  Lots of room to grow though - they've hit a home run here.
    williamlondonflaneur
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Ah, finally. I already was getting worried that this "news" would not come in time. Golden rule: every "anticipated" product announcement by analysts has to be followed by a "delay" by a different or, preferrably, same analyst. Good job, and thank for nothing you worthless <favorite descriptive synonym for analyst going here>. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 46
    It may be rumor, but one thing that isn't is the sooner they release the second generation Apple Watch the sooner they get my money.  I know I'm not the only person holding off from buying a first-generation model of any product.
    larrya1983
  • Reply 9 of 46
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Will be interesting to see what Apple ends up going with for a refresh cycle.  I love my Watch, but don't think it's something I'd upgrade every year or two.  Maybe they'll have an annual release for the first few versions as they improve the tech quickly, then slow it down?  Idk.  Lots of room to grow though - they've hit a home run here.
    It is funny that people who don't think that "they" will upgrade every year use it as a reason that a new model shouldn't be introduced every year. It isn't like new purchasers might be spurred by having a new model or anything. 
    larryalatifbp
  • Reply 10 of 46
    I love my Sport 42. I wear it everyday, and I use it often in about a dozen different ways.

I don't really care if an Apple Watch 2 comes soon or not. Whenever it comes, I'll get one, though.
    flaneurnolamacguyABiteaDayyojimbo007argonaut
  • Reply 11 of 46
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I think the cycle for iPhone sales are changing, it used to be S will outsold the Non S model. Now It is likely the new design Non S cycle will always get more sales, the iteration S cycle for late adopter, to combat that Apple Watch will always comes in at the lower iPhone sales cycle.

And Apple Watch may be updating on a 2 year basis rather then every year.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 12 of 46
    If there's an event in March, I'd expect it to be the 4" iPhone and an upgraded iPad Air 3, which missed the cut in the Fall.  It would also be nice if they added some new colors for the Apple Watch bands for the Spring, maybe some new pastels like a light yellow.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 13 of 46
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Maybe the rumoured March event will introduce 'sensor' bands that plug into that mysterious connector on the Watch. A redesigned Mac Mini/iMac/MacBook Pro line and updated Mac Pro incorporating USB-C and TB 3 would be nice too.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    1983 said:
    Maybe the rumoured March event will introduce 'sensor' bands that plug into that mysterious connector on the Watch. A redesigned Mac Mini/iMac/MacBook Pro line and updated Mac Pro incorporating USB-C and TB 3 would be nice too.
    I was going to get a new iMac to replace my 27 2010 model but I am waiting until USB-C and TB 3 as well. While the apple watch is square and thick, I am going to wait until a round one comes out.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Would it really be such a surprise if the new version didn't come out 6 months after the last round of watches were launched, and less than a year after the watches actually made it into the hands of the masses? Most stores didn't receive stock till much later (quite recently actually), and then to replace it with a new version already, could happen, but I wasn't expecting a new version quite so soon, rendering all those $10K watches and the rest of the gen 1s obsolete in mere months.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Scottish_Claymore said:
    While the apple watch is square and thick, I am going to wait until a round one comes out.
    In other words, you are never getting an Apple watch.
    williamlondonroakedws-2jbdragonchia
  • Reply 17 of 46
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    thedba said:
    Scottish_Claymore said:
    While the apple watch is square and thick, I am going to wait until a round one comes out.
    In other words, you are never getting an Apple watch.
    You beat me to it.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 46
    roakeroake Posts: 809member

Would it really be such a surprise if the new version didn't come out 6 months after the last round of watches were launched, and less than a year after the watches actually made it into the hands of the masses? Most stores didn't receive stock till much later (quite recently actually), and then to replace it with a new version already, could happen, but I wasn't expecting a new version quite so soon, rendering all those $10K watches and the rest of the gen 1s obsolete in mere months.
    I get the point about it seeming like less than a year.  However, I remember a good number of people pointing out that these people buying $10k+ watches might feel a bit put off when they became obsolete a year later.  Responses mostly were in the vein of "people who can afford those don't care," "the actual gold will retain most of that value (it won't)," and so on.

When I bought my iPad 1, I wasn't quite sure what I needed it for, but it became a highly used piece of hardware in my home.

I also bought an Apple Watch.  I find that I do virtually nothing on it.  Don't get me wrong!  I think it's an amazing piece of hardware.  It's just that I haven't worked it into my personal daily routine.  I do wear it daily, but I find that I still check even the time on my phone, mostly out of habit.
    dws-2
  • Reply 19 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Unannounced product is delayed! Apple is doomed™
    jbdragon
  • Reply 20 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Isn't it interesting that Wal-Mart and Target got the watch just in time for the holidays? And isn't it also interesting that despite Tim Cook explicitly stating that the Edition would be sold in "very limited" quantities, it's still on sale and readily available, 10 months after it went on sale, and Apple partners like Colette sold them for 50% off? Would it really be that surprising that Apple is clearing stock, and making the most of late start sales prior to the launch of a second generation product, that will boost renewed interest for new customers just in time for graduation gifts and anniversary presents? Apple isn't just selling to the reported 8 million people who bought the first gen watch -- there's 300 million iPhones out there, and over 290 million NEW customers for the watch. It's kind of myopic to base Apple's product cycle on the feelings of Apple's first gen customers, whose money they already have ... Unless of course you think the Watch is a failure and Apple will be depending exclusively on that group of 8 million customers to justify the product.