Apple to fold iTunes Radio into Apple Music, make Beats 1 lone free-to-stream product

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    1983 said:
    Newstand, iAD and now iTunes Radio dumped, Airplay stagnant, the News app a flop...what next?
    You forgot Beats, App Store and low merchant adopting of Pay. When does Cook wake up and realize Eddy Cue is not cutting it? Is there one thing he oversees that could be considered best in class? No.
    bigpics
  • Reply 42 of 68
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Dandemon said:
    I was thinking of moving back to Pandora anyway. This seals the deal.
    Good fracking, another one post, poster with a non sequitur. So, what?
    You want me to put a poll up to see what the micro niche here will do?
  • Reply 43 of 68
    tonester said:
    Very bad idea. It won't get me to join Apple Music. It gets me back to Pandora along with millions of others. The greed factor is starting to cloud Apples judgment. 
    so it's greedy to no longer offer a service for absolutely free? does that make taxi operators clouded with greed? cable company? etc.. 
    Is it really free? I guess maybe for those who were using it on Windows PCs. I don't consider any of Apple's services free. They're built into the price of the hardware.
    pmcd
  • Reply 44 of 68

stevie said:
    1983 said:
    Newstand, iAD and now iTunes Radio dumped, Airplay stagnant, the News app a flop...what next?
    Mac Pro.
    Isn't that on Intel?
  • Reply 45 of 68
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    1983 said:
    It's sort of weird, looking back at the history of Apple, how much trouble they've had implementing their networked products. Including iCloud (even though I have a subscription, I almost never use it), Mail (I use it only as a secondary email address), iTunes (although I use it a lot, I have to say that it's a bloated mess), iTunes Connect (glad I have folks who do it for me), Airdrop (brilliant idea, but limited in implementation), Ping (?), FaceTime (not useful if you're trying to talk to a non-Apple user)... The list goes on. 
    Facetime is rock solid, more so than skype, so your doing your own narrative here. Icloud, current implementation, is good.
    They spun out a 10M a year stream system in a few months, that's pretty solid back-end there.

cornchip
  • Reply 46 of 68
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    foggyhill said:
    It's sort of weird, looking back at the history of Apple, how much trouble they've had implementing their networked products. Including iCloud (even though I have a subscription, I almost never use it), Mail (I use it only as a secondary email address), iTunes (although I use it a lot, I have to say that it's a bloated mess), iTunes Connect (glad I have folks who do it for me), Airdrop (brilliant idea, but limited in implementation), Ping (?), FaceTime (not useful if you're trying to talk to a non-Apple user)... The list goes on. 
    Facetime is rock solid, more so than skype, so your doing your own narrative here. Icloud, current implementation, is good.
    They spun out a 10M a year stream system in a few months, that's pretty solid back-end there.

Facetime is less stable than skype.
    techlover
  • Reply 47 of 68
    What about the ad free radio for people that still pay for iTunes Match?
  • Reply 48 of 68
    foggyhill said:

You must have a unique version of FaceTime, one that lets you talk to everyone. Congratulations. (Talk about a 'narrative'.....). Skype is 'solid' enough for my needs. Also, it's wonderful to be able to do group chats. You should try it out sometime. 

What do you mean when you say 'current implementation of iCloud (btw, not Icloud) is 'good''? What is different about it from a couple of years ago?
    edited January 2016 techlover
  • Reply 49 of 68
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    If you're a Amazon prime member, go grab the Amazon music app.  That's free!.  There's stations you can pick from which allows you to skip forward and backwards unlimited!!. What to hear that song again, go back, that song 5 songs ago, skip back. Ite skip forward.  No commercials.

You can search of songs and create playlists, ECT.   Not as huge of a library as others, but for my use, more then good enough.  You can thumb up and down songs also.  With all you get with prime, it's a good deal.  Want to backup all your pictures in the cloud, Amazon pictures where it's unlimited as a prime member.  

Apple music is too much money.  At least for me as I don't tune into enough music.  Maybe If there's a $4.99 a month option with limited hours or something.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    cnocbui said:
    foggyhill said:

Facetime is less stable than skype.
    Not in my experience.  
  • Reply 51 of 68
    He doesn't use Apple products.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    jbdragon said:
    If you're a Amazon prime member, go grab the Amazon music app.  That's free!.  There's stations you can pick from which allows you to skip forward and backwards unlimited!!. What to hear that song again, go back, that song 5 songs ago, skip back. Ite skip forward.  No commercials.

You can search of songs and create playlists, ECT.   Not as huge of a library as others, but for my use, more then good enough.  You can thumb up and down songs also.  With all you get with prime, it's a good deal.  Want to backup all your pictures in the cloud, Amazon pictures where it's unlimited as a prime member.  

Apple music is too much money.  At least for me as I don't tune into enough music.  Maybe If there's a $4.99 a month option with limited hours or something.
    I like Amazon Music.  With iTunes Match and Amazon Music, most of my music needs are covered.  I wouldn't pay separately for Amazon Music though.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    I'm not clear on what this means for my AppleTV 3 but I hope the service isn't entirely gone as it seems unfair to sell a product only to deprecate a 1st party feature that helped incentivize the purchase. Not saying it's never been done by Apple or others before, just so not cool
  • Reply 54 of 68
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Surprised that the "leavers" are mostly mentioning Pandora with all the other alternatives. Tho' to be fair, I gave Pandora up in its relative infancy when it must have been much more limited, so may be missing something - but have so much elsewhere that suits me fine, no time to waste going forward. 

I also had an early Spotify account for picking songs and it was impressive - and had facebook friend list sharing features - and integrated (as I recall) my old iTunes playlists (which got lost migrating between computers, alas, as I'd put in huge amounts of time on 'em.  Oh well, and not gonna do that again in this new age....) but for some reasons or other, lost interest and never go back.....

Anyway, I'm outta iTunes now even more than I have been after this.... ....although the program does have a super-annoying tendency of starting itself up on my 2014 MBA about 5-6 times/week...  ...anybody else have this issue...??

Google Play is rock solid with my uploaded collection - all free (yeah, yeah, they have my data, but who fracking doesn't - facebook, Amazon, the NSA, supercookies, beacons, analytics, etc., etc.) and good auto playlists of my own stuff by choosing a tune or artist making options, metadata editing, adding missing artwork, etc....

...and now algorithmic streams too... 

....but I mostly use I♥Radio for radio radio. I don't like the TuneIn interface on the web (because I can't even figure out how it works really) and too many bad reviews on the phone app, so have never installed it....  ...so can get my NY news anywhere without it... 

...And if I want trendy junk from the "in crowd" like Beats 1, I get BBC1, the model for Beats 1 anyway and other BBC streams if I want 'em... ....along with some music streams.... ...some created and some curated (I kind of like "the Vinyl experience" e.g.)....

...and since I'm on an unlimited T-Mob plan, I get the Rhapsody Unradio with unlimited skips/no ads - and they have a few playlists I just never go beyond because they're soooo on my wavelength, so not even sure about all of what's there....

I did like some of the "stations" I created in iTunes, but have pretty much abandoned them.... ...most of my Podcast listening is the TWIT network and use a dedicated app for that....  ....and YouTube for others..... 

...and with all this free discovery all over the web haven't bought any music in years, sorry, artists....  ....but I'm on infinite buffet here and there's virtually no new songs I want to listen to over and over that aren't on YouTube.... ...and didn't create this system....

....but I do go to live music events and pay freight that way.... ...and sleep well....

....and since  often like pictures with my music, 'specially when guests are over, YouTube's the place for that.... ...take turns DJ'ing vids.... ....and it's especially good for alt takes, live performances and all kinds of material...

So the rest of you can enjoy sending more to Cupertino every month for music.  For storage.  For downloads.  For whatever.  It's your money....

techlover
  • Reply 55 of 68
    bigpics said:
    <SNIP> ...most of my Podcast listening is the TWIT network and use a dedicated app for that....  <SNIP>

Which TWiT app do you use? I use TWiTpad on my iPad and it's great, it does audio, video, live feed and even displays the chat room but it crashes an awful lot.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    He doesn't use Apple products.
    If you were referring to me, that is untrue.  'He doesn't use iOS products' would be pretty accurate.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 57 of 68
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    jbdragon said:

Hmm. I didn't think of that. I'll give it a try. Already paying for Prime.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    cali said:
    I didn't know it was branded as "iTunes Radio" still.

Either way it makes sense if you think about it. Makes the subscription more valuable/desirable.Too much free and you'll have a Pandora/Spotify.
    It was commercial-free afterall correct?

No, iTunes Radio was not commercial-free. Anytime I used it, it would play the same 2–4 commercials, which advertised either music I wasn’t into (as it would have known had it tailored music ads to music interests) or bad fast food at full blast.

This was also so annoying that I stopped using it & listened to their Music service a handful of times. But I was never really attached to it because I figured it wouldn’t stay free once Apple rolled out a subscription music. All of this happened on schedule, as anyone who’s been paying attention could have predicted.
  • Reply 59 of 68
     Bait and switch! 
    bigpics
  • Reply 60 of 68
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    mike1 said:
    jbdragon said:

Hmm. I didn't think of that. I'll give it a try. Already paying for Prime.
    I got prime for the free ship, and I'm discovering lots of other very little things that I wouldn't pay for separately. I do like Apple's music match. It is really seamless, and at $25/yr I think it is a good value. I don't subscribe to Apple Music, because I don't think it is a good value to me, based just on what I want to use it for. I used the radio function occasionally, and there is an internet radio function in iTunes as well. I'm presuming the Pandora-esque stuff that was free is what is now being eliminated, and the internet radio on iTunes is remaining.

Meh. I wasn't going to pay for Apple Music, and there are plenty of free options. My preference is Apple offerings, but i don't see the value to me.