Samsung working to copy iPhone 6s Live Photos feature for next Galaxy S7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    bluefire1 said:
    When Apple invents/create something new, they take their time. They don't have to always be first, but they are always best. Quality does count.

The author's intent was clearly to point the finger at Samsung because Apple invented said feature on its phones before anyone else did (obviously not true). This just shows his lack of research and the fog of knowledge of the tech world in general. Bad combo to have if you are a blogger. 
    edited January 2016 singularitylord amhrantooltalk
  • Reply 42 of 67
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    sps33 said:
    So it just makes a GIF? Sorry, but hadn't even remembered this was a thing, until my phone suggested this article. It likes to include some light hearted comedy now and then. 

The fact that you start a Live Photo by touching the photo, rather than a play icon of some sort as with HTCs 2012 Zoe implementation DOES NOT MAKE IT AN APPLE INNOVATION. Not to mention we've all been starting video on our phones by touching the images for years on YouTube, so you can't really even lay claim to that. 

Apple has an amazing, amazing product in the 6/6s series, but it didn't sell a zillion of them because of catch up gimmicks like the one this article touts. It did it because it took an obviously good idea, LARGER PHONES (an Android trend Samsung gets 90% of the the credit for) and made them nearly perfect. A year before any Android OEM did. 

Be happy Apple makes the best phones and stop over reaching when it comes to childish articles about serious subjects. Real people work hard to bring these innovations to the market. They start on the same open source software that 80% of the world is carrying around in their pockets. Apple has a well documented history of seeing what ideas stick in the Android wilderness, taking those ideas, perfecting them, and turning them into huge profits. 
    If were are going to give you this argument that the recent success of the iPhone can be attributed to the larger screen size how does one make any sense out of Samsung who clearly was the "leader" in large displays, collapse in flagship sales? If that large display was so important why would everyone leave Samsung and go to Apple? Moreover, why would they stay with Apple if paradise was walled in? The size of the iPhone is going to get smaller and Apple is going to sell a heck of a lot more phones but it's not going to have much to do with size but more to do with the experience. I think the sleeper it Apple TV, I expect sales to double in two years sole reason cheap, quick to adopt games.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    You're asking why Apple would want anything they created to ever be open source or standardized? You'll have to Apple why they've decided to have such a long track record of doing just that.
    you didn't answer the question. other than making your Harry Potter newspaper wish come true, what is the strategic benefit for Apple to push competitors to offer the same feature it offers its own ecosystem of users?
    I did answer it, and in detail. I even gave you plenty of additional data regarding what Apple has done in the past to further standards to make the user experience better for their devices.
  • Reply 44 of 67

sps33 said:
    So it just makes a GIF?
    evidently you don't know what a gif is. gifs can't do sound. 
    He asked a simple question. Do you really have to be dick to everyone? Why not inform him that it differs from an Animated GIF, by specifically being a 1.5 second video at 15fps, which contains audio, which is then paired with a still image in a special container? You could even reiterate that GIFs don't have any audio channels, and that any Animated GIF that tried to have as many frames and the same quality frames as a Live Photo would be considerably larger since it's not using an efficient video codec? 
    cnocbuilord amhranatlapple
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Soli said:
    If there is anything to patent, it would be easily worked around. It's a video of 1.5 seconds @ 15fps encoded with H.264 with an MPEG4 container, and a 12MPx image (since that's the 6S series takes) paired with it. What exactly would be patentable?

The worst thing to happen is to have this be limited to just Apple devices, and then another vendor having their own options that nearly the same by slightly different, and then websites wanting to adopt them but having to deal with it like we're living in the 90's when IE6 was king. Better to just have a standard that makes for a better user experience for everyone.
    Apple has an installed base of Mas, iPads and iPhones, plus iPod Touches, that can all view their proprietary Live Photos. That's a large universe of people already who can benefit, and growing larger as time goes by. Apple is already something of a standard computing platform among the population of customers it serves; those who appreciate a premium experience. Offering features that they can share only with others within that community is not a disadvantage; it strengthens the value of being in that community and isolates those when are not. It's an exclusive club, with exclusive benefits, even small ones like Live Photo. As for adoption by other platforms, Apple already has the clout to push that through, as evidenced by the fact FB will be adding support, among others.
    By one measure that's a lot of devices, but it's a fraction of the world's computers and if linked only to Apple devices it's unlikely to ever be an HTML standard.

What exactly seems so odd about wanting this to be an option that every website and every browser can adopt with ease, without going back to the IE6-dominated where web developers have to include excessive and complex code to idealize a webpage so that each vendor can use their own version of this feature for a specific browser? What IP do you think Apple created that would disallow other vendors to create something unique but similar, like what has existed for over a decade now?
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 46 of 67
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    cnocbui said:
    What a load of utter rubbish.

Apple copied Nokia's Living Images.  They didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge having done so and Phil Schiller even said "It's a beautiful experience; unlike any other way of interacting with photos."  something blatantly untrue.

To accuse Samsung of copying Apple instead of saying both Apple and Samsung copied Nokia is disingenuous.

Well, maybe Apple did copy Nokia.  So what?

The fact remains that SameDung copied Apple!!!

• Reply 47 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    metrix said:
    sps33 said:
    So it just makes a GIF? Sorry, but hadn't even remembered this was a thing, until my phone suggested this article. It likes to include some light hearted comedy now and then. 

The fact that you start a Live Photo by touching the photo, rather than a play icon of some sort as with HTCs 2012 Zoe implementation DOES NOT MAKE IT AN APPLE INNOVATION. Not to mention we've all been starting video on our phones by touching the images for years on YouTube, so you can't really even lay claim to that. 

Apple has an amazing, amazing product in the 6/6s series, but it didn't sell a zillion of them because of catch up gimmicks like the one this article touts. It did it because it took an obviously good idea, LARGER PHONES (an Android trend Samsung gets 90% of the the credit for) and made them nearly perfect. A year before any Android OEM did. 

Be happy Apple makes the best phones and stop over reaching when it comes to childish articles about serious subjects. Real people work hard to bring these innovations to the market. They start on the same open source software that 80% of the world is carrying around in their pockets. Apple has a well documented history of seeing what ideas stick in the Android wilderness, taking those ideas, perfecting them, and turning them into huge profits. 
    If were are going to give you this argument that the recent success of the iPhone can be attributed to the larger screen size how does one make any sense out of Samsung who clearly was the "leader" in large displays, collapse in flagship sales? If that large display was so important why would everyone leave Samsung and go to Apple? Moreover, why would they stay with Apple if paradise was walled in? The size of the iPhone is going to get smaller and Apple is going to sell a heck of a lot more phones but it's not going to have much to do with size but more to do with the experience. I think the sleeper it Apple TV, I expect sales to double in two years sole reason cheap, quick to adopt games.
    Many of those people left Apple for Samsung because of the larger display, and are coming back. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 48 of 67
    stevie said:
    cnocbui said:
    What a load of utter rubbish.

Apple copied Nokia's Living Images.  They didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge having done so and Phil Schiller even said "It's a beautiful experience; unlike any other way of interacting with photos."  something blatantly untrue.

To accuse Samsung of copying Apple instead of saying both Apple and Samsung copied Nokia is disingenuous.

That's inane. 
  • Reply 49 of 67
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    foggyhill said:
    staticx57 said:
    Nokia living photos is another example of an idea that does basically the same thing. In this case, Apple is the follower, and samesung is just really following.
    Except nobody used it, Nokia had problems enough producing good shot to shot photos...
    I used it on Nokia phones, took two live photos before I realised it was a stupid feature
  • Reply 50 of 67
    Facepalm with the biased heading!! Hope AI sees the world without Apple's eye sometimes. .
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Samsung had this feature already BEFORE apple did back with the Galaxy S4.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-may-head-back-to-the-galaxy-s4-for-its-new-galaxy-s7-feature-1313185 Here is a part of it on video 

Exactly. We should not choke up everything that Apple's Marketing Team feeds us. 

• Reply 52 of 67
    Samsung had this feature already BEFORE apple did back with the Galaxy S4.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-may-head-back-to-the-galaxy-s4-for-its-new-galaxy-s7-feature-1313185 Here is a part of it on video 

[video]
    Where in that 7.75 minute video does he show the Live Photo-esque feature?
  • Reply 53 of 67
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    iushnt said:
    Facepalm with the biased heading!! Hope AI sees the world without Apple's eye sometimes. .
    Please show us in this idiotic video what your talking about, or stop talking trash. You don't have the munitions for that kind of talk.
    If Samsung did do something like that, it must have been so bad they had to remove afterward; how on earth would that help your point?  It does not.

Actual bias means distorsion of what's there; there's only one person doing that and it is you.
    If reality doesn't fit how you think it should be: that's not bias.

So, you send your blinkered little self on your merry way to biasville where you came from.
    icoco3
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Apple didn't invent live photos, but it did a better job with it than the other attempts. 
    However, who cares if Samsung copies it. Apple does plenty of copying and outright stealing itself. 
    I wish Apple would steal some features like letting me customize.
    Let me put the apps near the bottom, so I don't have to use that idiotic 'reachability'. 
    Let me have widgets. 
    Let me completely hide or uninstall any app I want.
    Let me chose native apps.
    Give the Apple keyboard a "swype or word flow" Option.
    Come out with an iPhone 7 iNote series with an apple pencil. Give it some special software: yes, straight steal features the Note 5 has, and make it even better. 
    Apple will steal many of these features after it's Way Too Late and they get down to <10% market share. While Android takes the other >89%.
    90% after windows phone throws in the towel.

• Reply 55 of 67
    Samsung Note 3 was their final good phone.  All Samsung phones are garbage.  With Note 4 - they lost the USB3 connector.  With Note 5 - they sealed in the battery, lost the storage, lost the IR remote, and lost the message indicator light.  I imagine the Note 6 will simply be rebranded Apple phones with absolutely no features.   Samsung should be shut down for basically photocopying the iPhone.   IF Samsung wants to succeed, they need to be DIFFERENT - as in Think Different !    Samsung needs to return the storage, the message light, the removable battery, and the USB 3 connector - and offer their phones in 64GB and 256GB capacities.   WHAT GOOD is a 4K video phone, if you can only take 3 minutes of 4K video?  A 128GB phone with removable 256GB  microSD cards AND interchangeable batteries is actually useful for travel.   Tiny storage and a 1 hour battery sealed inside is of no use to consumers.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    stevie said:
    Why didn't Apple patent the hell out of this?  That way they could sue SameDung again.
    Because Apple wasn't the inventor.  Apple has successfully implemented a lot of features that came originally from other technology vendors.  It is no because Apple was the first to make a success of a feature, that Apple can patent the feature.  Of course Apple did invent a lot of features, but LivePhoto and 3D Touch don't belong the list of Apple inventions.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    skumaran said:
    Haha... Apple live photos?, hello Samsung haters. Apple Copycat from Samsung. Shameless Liars... 

Animated Photos - GALAXY Note 3 and S4

Galaxy S4’s “Animated Photo”

Did you even watch the videos you posted? Samsung's "solution" is a convoluted mess that requires you go through a lot of steps and then figure out what to animate, and even does this disjointed thing if you don't get it perfect (as noted with a previous video with a hand that's not attached).

Live Photos, is considerably simpler. It's a 1.5 sec @ 15fps video plus a still photo on top. Think of it like a mouseover effect on a webpage where an image or button changes color when you move the cursor over it. The difference is that when you touch the Live Photo or scroll to the next photo it does the 1.5 sec video—not janky animation—before stopping on the 12Mpx image, in the case of the 6S series iPhones.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    skumaran said:
    Latest Copy Copy Copy Copy ..iCopy...More Copy..

Apple’s Force Touch is Already Patented by BlackBerry
    - http://www.cantechletter.com/2015/09/apples-force-touch-is-already-patented-by-blackberry/

Live Photos, 3D Touch & Universal Apps: Apple hijacks Microsoft's lingo - http://www.windowscentral.com/apple-hijacks-microsoft-lingo

Live Photos -

Checkout Latest Apple iPhone Smart Battery COPY cat case- https://i.imgur.com/2PvO8VV.jpg

Look like iSpotify - https://i.imgur.com/TVQ9ZEJ.jpg

If it's "the same", they will sue. If it's not the same, which is the case, they will not. GOT THAT BUD.
    Seems simple isn't it hey/ Why are you here BTW. Too much time on your hands?

Funny how all those glorious, "identical" (sic) things all flopped bad.

BTW, bravo for googling Appleinsider and putting out this crap. We need entertainment...
    Soli
  • Reply 59 of 67
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    stevie said:

That's inane. 
    I think the point here might be; if it was such a great idea, why didn't Samsung copy Nokia? 
  • Reply 60 of 67
    cornchip said:
    That's inane. 
    I think the point here might be; if it was such a great idea, why didn't Samsung copy Nokia? 
    Who's to say they're not?