Fourth-gen Apple TVs spontaneously awaken, power on their HDTVs, users complain

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Haven't had this happen at all to mine (I've had is since release day) - perhaps it is a particular App that is triggering the "Wake". The ATV4 downloads updates and screensaver in the background (while asleep) but this has never triggered a HDMI wake on mine.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    rbonner said:
    I had this happen, thought it was my cat stepping on the remote (still possible through)
    I've had it come on magically a number of times, often a few seconds after I made it go to sleep. I usually unplug the danged thing when it acts up. I've gone back to usually using my underpowered Fire TV stick instead.

But don't discount the cats. I had them knock the insanely too sensitive remote on the floor once, which fired up the Apple TV, the real TV, and the last app I had running. So nice that the Showtime app resumes right where you stopped when it comes alive. /sigh

For those keeping score, that's right, the cats started watching Ray Donovan on my Apple TV at 5:45am.

Thanks, Apple.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    Yep I can confirm this has happened to me a few times. Definitely annoying.
    OKAY.  SO HERE'S THE SKINNY ON THIS ISSUE. PEOPLE NEED TO THINK THINGS THROUGH. 

PUT THE REMOTE OUT OF REACH OF PETS. WHEN I DID THAT THE ISSUE SUDDENLY STOPPED. WHAT WAS HAPPENING WAS THAT THE CATS WERE WALKING ACROSS THE COFFEE TABLE AND STEPPING ON THE REMOTE. 

NO PETS?  PAY ATTENTION TO WHEN YOU MOVE THE REMOTE. YOU PROBABLY TURNED IT ON AND DIDNT NOTICE. 

THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE. THIS IS USER ERROR/IGNORANCE. 

IT REALLY IS. 
  • Reply 84 of 87
    enigmatic said:
    THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE. THIS IS USER ERROR/IGNORANCE. 

IT REALLY IS. 
    Both my MacBook Pro and Mac Pro REGULARLY turn themselves on for absolutely no reason. Sometimes immediately after I put them to sleep, sometimes in the middle of the night.

Explain what I’m doing wrong, then, because it freaks me out to have them behave as though they’re responding to some sort of foreign request.
    cornchip
  • Reply 85 of 87
    Me too! For me, though the ATV4 does not come out of sleep mode. It just keeps turning the TV back on. I have to switch the input to my Roku.
  • Reply 86 of 87
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    rickers said:
    Me too! For me, though the ATV4 does not come out of sleep mode. It just keeps turning the TV back on. I have to switch the input to my Roku.
    The solution is turning off HDMI-CEC either on the Apple TV or on the TV itself (it's in the TV menu).
  • Reply 87 of 87
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Some owners of the fourth-generation Apple TV are complaining that the device is spontaneously waking up itself and/or connected TVs, an inconvenience that could burn unnecessary electricity and could potentially cause screen burn-in for people with plasma sets.

The issue is the subject of numerous threads on Apple's support forums, and can also be confirmed by AppleInsider. Affected people may see their Apple TV turn on as quickly as a minute later, though longer delays are reported as well.

TV sets with HDMI-CEC support will turn back on as well, wasting electricity and potentially disrupting sleep. Plasma burn-in is a risk because tvOS may not always run its screensaver as it's supposed to.

The exact cause of the problem is uncertain, with owners blaming everything from Bluetooth to AirPlay. Some people have reported success in closing some (or all) apps before putting their Apple TV to sleep, or else restarting their unit first, or even turning off ad tracking. Those just concerned with keeping a TV off can disable HDMI-CEC in tvOS settings.

Such solutions would suggest that the problem is rooted in a software bug. If so Apple could fix it in a future tvOS update, but there's no immediate sign a patch will be wrapped into tvOS 9.2.

No that's Apple TV working the night shift for the NSA.