Microsoft to bring Windows Phone keyboard, Word Flow, to iOS

Posted:
in iPhone
Microsoft is reportedly working on bringing the Windows Phone keyboard -- known as Word Flow -- to iOS devices, marking the arrival of yet another feature previously exclusive to Microsoft platforms.

Windows Insider testers are now being recruited to test Word Flow on the iPhone, according to The Verge. Microsoft didn't say when the port might be finished, but public testing would normally imply a release no more than a few months from now.

On Windows Phone devices, Word Flow offers features like gestures and Swype-style typing, which aren't unique in the smartphone world but can make the platform easier to use.

Under CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft has been more willing to ditch platform exclusivity in favor of getting products in front of as many people as possible. Numerous Office apps are now available on iOS and Android, and most recently the company ported its Cortana voice assistant. Until that point, Cortana was considered a signature feature of Windows Phone and Windows 10.

Though Windows is still the most popular computer brand worldwide, Windows phones have largely failed to catch on -- the current smartphone market is dominated almost exclusively by iOS and Android.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Keyboard : the primary R&D topic for MSFT .....
    quadra 610
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Wait... They're releasing a Swipe clone, and people care?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    That keyboard makes me cringe everytime I see one. Thankfully it's very rare. I don't think this will be very popular on iOS, since it may be one of the primary reasons people don't buy their phones. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dv8ordv8or Posts: 26member
    Actually a clever strategy from Microsoft assuming the software/apps work well and people become reliant on them. The long game for them is to make Microsoft products so ubiquitous that it makes it easy for someone to move from an iPhone to a Windows phone without a second thought. I personally dont think they can pull it off as most of their apps are Shite... I downloaded a selfie app of theirs the other day just to test out and it crashed repeatedly....so nothing has changed....
    macky the macky
  • Reply 5 of 9
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    genovelle said:
    That keyboard makes me cringe everytime I see one. Thankfully it's very rare. I don't think this will be very popular on iOS, since it may be one of the primary reasons people don't buy their phones. 
    It works brilliantly and it's predictive accuracy is uncanny.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    bcode said:
    Wait... They're releasing a Swipe clone, and people care?

Yes they're release Swype, which is technology patented by Nuance and was on the Motorola phones for a long time. I use it on the Motorola phones and since released for iOS I have been using it on my iphone now. I like it since I can not get use to typing with my thumbs. I suspect that MS is licensing the swype tech from Nuance, they own most of the IP around this kind of stuff along with Voice recognition tech.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    “What? Five hundred dollars and it doesn’t have a keyboard so it can’t be used for business?” - Steve Ballmer ca 2007
    macky the macky
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    genovelle said:
    You are lucky. I cringe when I see Android keyboard - and there are much more of those in the wild. Even on really fast Android phones I had chance to try, keyboard feels very laggy compared to both iOS and Windows keyboards.

Visual design of Windows keyboard is questionable... but it does fit in whole tiles vibe. But functionality is top notch, both typing and swiping.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Wow - what a Big annoncement!   But this will not change my preferred keyboard: SpeedyKey Keyboard!  It is the best keyboard on the market!