After abandoning iAd revenue, Apple Inc can reintroduce an ad-free internet

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85

Except iAd isn't going away as a platform; it's just becoming all programmatic. The question I have is will Apple still be able to control the privacy aspect now that they're no longer directly involved?
    Privacy doesn't mean NOT collecting users' information. Steve Jobs had the best view when it came to privacy:

Well according to Tim Cook's Apple is does. Now Cook might be making a mistake and this stance might be hurting efforts like Proactive or Spotlight search but I don't think Apple should water down its core values just please Wall Street (as some here are suggesting). There are other ways Apple can increase revenue and profits.
    jackansilostkiwi
  • Reply 62 of 85

Apple should break @Connect out into its own separate app.
    No Apple should get rid of connect. The last thing artists need is another place the have to post content, and they're not going to stop posting to where all the people are (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat). Didn't Apple learn anything from Ping?
    jackansi
  • Reply 63 of 85
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    cropr said:
    That is a lot of crap for a single article. The main reason why iAD failed is because it was iOS only.  When an advertiser want to launch  an ad campaign, he wants reach the largest audience possible.  That 's why all other mobile advertisement networks are at least iOS + Android based.  There is not a single reason why an advertiser would go to Apple to launch a campaign.
    And for the record, an advertiser can filter the target audience by age, gender, profession, country, language,... but he never gets the the coordinates of the user who is presented an ad, not on Android, not on iOS.  For the advertiser ad campaigns are anonymous.
    Apple has made very successful product and services.  It is no shame that from time to time an product fails, it is quite normal.  It should not be a reason fro AI to come up telling crap things about privacy that are not related to advertisements.

Did the App Store also fail because it was iOS only? Because most developers want to target cross platform and reach "the largest audience possible"?

"There is not a single reason why an advertiser would go to Apple to launch a campaign"

Well then why did major brands line up to pay $1million or more on campaigns? For five years, Apple has been pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars from iAd. Small potatoes for Apple, but completely at odds with your phony facts about how you believe the world works. 

Ad campaigns on iAd are anonymous and only target audiences. But other advertisers do track users across apps/websites using the UUID, which is why Apple stopped that practice in iOS 6. Or are you not aware what the Advertising Identifier is and why advertisers squawked about it? 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 64 of 85
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

deecee1 said:
    Isn't it hypocritical that this site uses google analytics and google's doubleclick ad platform?
    There is no relationship between editorial content and advertising on AI. If you think that is "hypocritical" you might want to rethink your position.
  • Reply 65 of 85
    sog35 said:
    Right because what the world needs now is another social media platform. #facepalm
    Not another social media platform. 
    A better one. One that Apple can run.

But again Tim Cook refuses to use iOS muscle to enter new services. Cook is not brave enough to take risks. He brought out AppleMusic 2 years too late. iRadio 2 years too late. And he will probably panic and buy a social media company in a couple of years in sheer panic.

By all rights Apple should already be in social, search, advertising, gaming, live TV and video sharing RIGHT NOW. 
    So Tim Cook was supposed to do all of this in 4 years? Nonsense. You haven't provided any legitimate reason why Apple should be in advertising or social media. If it's all about creating new revenue stream then heck, why not Apple appliances? Apple could probably design a better refrigerator or washing machine than they could a social media platform. Personally I'd rather not have Apple turn into some GE or Samsung like conglomerate doing all kinds of things but not many of them very well. 
    jackansi
  • Reply 66 of 85
     Btw, according to the WSJ about 100 people were laid off as a result of iAd changes. But it sounds like some of them will find positions elsewhere inside the company.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2016/01/18/apple-a-critic-of-rivals-ad-efforts-is-pulling-back-from-its-own-ad-business/?mod=yahoo_hs
  • Reply 67 of 85

No Apple should get rid of connect. The last thing artists need is another place the have to post content, and they're not going to stop posting to where all the people are (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat). Didn't Apple learn anything from Ping?
    Ultimately, I do agree with you.
  • Reply 68 of 85
    That's a cute trick of photo choice, but when opened as it was meant to be used, the HTC G1 looked like a Sidekick, which had been around for years before the iPhone was conceived, so your photo comparison implies the iPhone copied the Sidekick minus the keyboard. Is that your intent? 

jackansi
  • Reply 69 of 85
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    An Apple product failed?  An Apple product can't fail!  It must be part of a brilliant plan!

spinspinspin5000wordslater...
    edited January 2016 lord amhranjackansi
  • Reply 70 of 85
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I can summize why iAd failed in 1 line.

Apple wouldn't hand over all of the info of the person viewing the advert.

Sounds good to me but bad for the person tracking the ad.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 71 of 85
    I miss the days when the original YouTube app on iOS and AppleTV, for all its faults, was also 100% ad free. Now when I watch AppleTV's YouTube app, it displays ads, and some ads cannot be skipped.

Idiocracy was not supposed to be a "how-to" video, but the future of Internet TV could very well be this:

So thats what the extra 1K pixels are really for on 5K displays...  ;)
  • Reply 72 of 85

Search, Social, Adverstising, Big Data, AI, gaming, liveTV, video sharing, should all be part of Apple's services portfolio.
    I think you're missing a massive truth in this article.

If Apple manages to make advertising based on search, social activity, big data and "news" less profitable (perhaps even undesirable) then it will harm Apple's competitors, and give Apple more success with greater control of other services consumers value - and directly pay for.

Apple has telegraphed their desire to block ads from the mobile web. Think about what that means a little more deeply.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 73 of 85
    I have just created an account on AppleInsider just to comment on this article.

Then I spent one hour typing a comment that has SILENTLY been discarded because I had not validated my email address. Well you know, when I'm typing a comment I don't check my email... Thank you guys...

Anyway, I'm not going to type all this again.

I'm an iOS developer and I have always considered Android. I was a PalmOS developer before in case someone remembers that time.

This article is excellent and shines light on things I have to think about all the time to stay relevant in this business.

It does not matter if I agree with everything that is said, but the big picture is definitely food for thought.

I just want to thank DED for this analysis and I hope to read more like this one.
    Dan_DilgerlostkiwiDeeeds
  • Reply 74 of 85
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I still can't see why this is a good thing sometimes.

Why not just lower the Apple royalty rate from %30 to %20 instead of giving away all the year's work for free?
    This would have encouraged more advertisers and made Apple extra cash at the expense of Giggle's bread and butter.

Heck take it down to %10 just to take down Giggle for a laugh.
  • Reply 75 of 85
    cali said:
    I still can't see why this is a good thing sometimes.

Why not just lower the Apple royalty rate from %30 to %20 instead of giving away all the year's work for free?
    This would have encouraged more advertisers and made Apple extra cash at the expense of Giggle's bread and butter.

Heck take it down to %10 just to take down Giggle for a laugh.
    Perhaps because Apple doesn't make decisions based on whether they will screw Google or not? My guess is Apple isn't as obsessed about screwing Google as some people on this board are.
    gatorguysingularity
  • Reply 76 of 85
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

I can't stand advertisements. It's the main reason I purchase my music, shows and movies. I would gladly pay for ad free news content. Unfortunately, they don't provide that option. When I purchase news content, it still comes with advertising which I resent.

Hence paying for news content means that the content producers get to double dip so to speak. They gladly take my money then load up on advertisements anyway. 

If Apple were to adopt the Google approach to advertising, I would abandon the platform. I would just buy a Samsung phone. Why stay on largely inferior hardware when iOS offers nothing of substance over Android? 

Granted, Apple produces a great SOC, but Samsung's DRAM, flash and panel technology is superior to virtually everyone else. If it weren't for the spyware OS known as Android, I would already have left Apple. So too would many of my own family. 

Apple's stance on privacy keeps me on their platform. None of my devices uses anything from Google. And I do a considerable amount of online business. 

As an aside, it makes sense that Google's market valuation is so high and with a fraction of Apple's profits. I am beginning to realize that it isn't all a wallstreet phenomenon. There are a lot of businesses who stand to fail if Google's advertising model comes to ruin. They have to support Google as their very livelihood depends on it. Unfortunately for Google, their model of search driven advertising revenue is coming to an end. 

I use Amazon's app for most of my online shopping. I left the search engine long ago. I did find that a general purpose search engine did a better job at searching eBay than ebay's own but that is no longer the case.  My wife uses the Nordstrom app and even for appleinsider I use the app.

Apple can lock Google out of the most lucrative mobile platform on the market. Without the iOS market, Google loses the most important group of users when attempting to utilize their data analytics software. All of the talk about their artificial intelligence will be meaningless. Google will profile the users that have little meaning to the advertisers. 

I rarely initiate a search on a desktop machine these days. Over 99% of my computing time is now spent on iOS. I don't use a single Google product and abandoned Yahoo search, consequently spending virtually no time on their web portal when Mayer incorporated Google search back into Yahoo. 

Google search, Google play and Google services in general have no marketshare in China either. Android is forked and Apple devices are doing quite well in China. Cook is doing a lot of things right. 

It's time to be patient. Apple is going to mop the floor with Google's carcass. It's only a matter of time. 

Slightly off topic but I figured it could add to your post:

If Apple ever makes a "search engine" it'll be something revolutionary and not just an old school ".com" website.

I'm thinking Siri on steroids that will give users WHAT they want WHEN they want it, Ad-free, fast. I believe the "google it" era is coming to a close.
    What about Android? Who cares? They can't afford nice things anyways. Since about 2/3 of Giggle's revenue comes from iOS Apple can slash Giggle's ad revenue by at least %50 with an advanced Siri or other revolutionary method.

But it has to be addictive. As of now Siri is kinda dumb and boring. I still find myself taking the long route and opening Safari>searching>looking through results>clicking links>destination.
    Soon we will be able to ask Siri "Is AppleTV in stock at Best Buy?" and an ApplePay prompt will pop up allowing you to order it from your closest Best Buy/retailer. Tons more possibilities that save time and skip searching.

I can't predict the future but I can see it.
    lostkiwipalomine
  • Reply 77 of 85
    I can't stand advertisements. It's the main reason I purchase my music, shows and movies. I would gladly pay for ad free news content. Unfortunately, they don't provide that option. When I purchase news content, it still comes with advertising which I resent.

Hence paying for news content means that the content producers get to double dip so to speak. They gladly take my money then load up on advertisements anyway. 

If Apple were to adopt the Google approach to advertising, I would abandon the platform. I would just buy a Samsung phone. Why stay on largely inferior hardware when iOS offers nothing of substance over Android? 

Granted, Apple produces a great SOC, but Samsung's DRAM, flash and panel technology is superior to virtually everyone else. If it weren't for the spyware OS known as Android, I would already have left Apple. So too would many of my own family. 

Apple's stance on privacy keeps me on their platform. None of my devices uses anything from Google. And I do a considerable amount of online business. 

As an aside, it makes sense that Google's market valuation is so high and with a fraction of Apple's profits. I am beginning to realize that it isn't all a wallstreet phenomenon. There are a lot of businesses who stand to fail if Google's advertising model comes to ruin. They have to support Google as their very livelihood depends on it. Unfortunately for Google, their model of search driven advertising revenue is coming to an end. 

I use Amazon's app for most of my online shopping. I left the search engine long ago. I did find that a general purpose search engine did a better job at searching eBay than ebay's own but that is no longer the case.  My wife uses the Nordstrom app and even for appleinsider I use the app.

Apple can lock Google out of the most lucrative mobile platform on the market. Without the iOS market, Google loses the most important group of users when attempting to utilize their data analytics software. All of the talk about their artificial intelligence will be meaningless. Google will profile the users that have little meaning to the advertisers. 

I rarely initiate a search on a desktop machine these days. Over 99% of my computing time is now spent on iOS. I don't use a single Google product and abandoned Yahoo search, consequently spending virtually no time on their web portal when Mayer incorporated Google search back into Yahoo. 

Google search, Google play and Google services in general have no marketshare in China either. Android is forked and Apple devices are doing quite well in China. Cook is doing a lot of things right. 

It's time to be patient. Apple is going to mop the floor with Google's carcass. It's only a matter of time. 

I'm amazed that a post calling Apple's hardware "largely inferior" got 4 likes....all because of the Google bashing. I swear some people here hate Google more than they like Apple and your post is proof of that. 
    gatorguyjackansi
  • Reply 78 of 85
    That's a cute trick of photo choice, but when opened as it was meant to be used, the HTC G1 looked like a Sidekick, which had been around for years before the iPhone was conceived, so your photo comparison implies the iPhone copied the Sidekick minus the keyboard. Is that your intent? 

the photo you are referring to was evidence presented at trial. But none of the features you seem to think of as original Android inventions are still around. Where's the slid out keyboard and the LED trackball, or the four hardware buttons? Or the Windows 95 desktop, the floating clock, the pop-out menu controller? These days, the only thing Android licensees are pursuing is to make something that looks virtually indistinguishable from the 2007 iPhone, which has remained Apple's model for all versions since. 

Apple isn't making a slide out keyboard with a LED trackball. HTC's latest flagship looks as much like iPhone 6 as Xiaomi or Huawei or Samsung. 
    Deeeds
  • Reply 79 of 85
    sog35 said:
    They should.

That is another area where Tim Cook's Apple has been extremely weak: Social.

No excuse not to have a strong social platform. But here we go again with Tim Cook's Apple that is always late to the party.See my comment to one of your posts
    See my comment to one of your own in "Apple making sparse use of Swift" (http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/2823936/#Comment_2823936)

• Reply 80 of 85
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member

Did the App Store also fail because it was iOS only? Because most developers want to target cross platform and reach "the largest audience possible"?

"There is not a single reason why an advertiser would go to Apple to launch a campaign"

Well then why did major brands line up to pay $1million or more on campaigns? For five years, Apple has been pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars from iAd. Small potatoes for Apple, but completely at odds with your phony facts about how you believe the world works. 

Ad campaigns on iAd are anonymous and only target audiences. But other advertisers do track users across apps/websites using the UUID, which is why Apple stopped that practice in iOS 6. Or are you not aware what the Advertising Identifier is and why advertisers squawked about it? 
    If an advertiser wants to promote a paid smartphone app that is only available on iOS , then he might consider to target iOS users only.  If an advertiser wants to promote something else like e.g. website, newspaper or hamburgers, he would shoot himself in the foot by not addressing the Android users.  You cannot leave out potential customers because they own an Android phone

I've run 2 ad campaigns myself and I did not consider iAD because it was iOS only.  I've used AdMob from Google on iOS, Android and Web and for me the campaigns were completely anonymous.  The advertiser does not get any user coordinates.  Google might track a lot of things, but the advertiser does not get access to Google's data.  Apparrently you cannot make a distinction between an advertiser and a advertising service provider
    gatorguysingularity