False bomb threat at Apple's Ireland facilities leads to evacuation of 4,800 staff

Posted:
in General Discussion
A fake bomb threat was issued for Apple's operations in Ireland on Monday, causing officials to evacuate 4,800 employees before giving the all-clear.

Credit: Independent.ie.

The incident affected about 4,000 employees at Apple's plant in Holyhill, as well as another 800 workers at Lavitt's Quay, according to the Irish Times. Officials looked into the matter and did not find any threatening devices.

The threat was reportedly issued on the website of Garda S?och?na, which is the national police force of the Republic of Ireland. The threat was posted at 8:20 a.m. local time with no specific location cited, and police began evacuating both facilities as a precaution at 10 a.m.

The Holyhill campus at Cork, or Corcaigh in Irish Gaelic, is home to Apple's first international base of operations outside the U.S.

Apple has an iMac assembly line at its Cork facilities, which is currently the only Apple-owned factory in the world. Cork-based employees also handle administration for Apple operations in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Apple plans to expand its presence in Ireland by adding 1,000 new positions for both manufacturing and customer service, it was announced last November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    Damn, the EU is playing hardball.
    singularitytallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 20

Apple has an iMac assembly line at its Cork facilities, which is currently the only Apple-owned factory in the world. 
    Doesn't Apple own its high end Mac assembly plant in Texas?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    mchumm3r said:

Apple has an iMac assembly line at its Cork facilities, which is currently the only Apple-owned factory in the world. 
    Doesn't Apple own its high end Mac assembly plant in Texas?
    Yes, I thought the New Mac Pro plant was owned by Apple,as you say.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    jax44 said:
    My first thought was the US government was playing games to scare Apple into submission about user privacy. Attacking Apple offices on US soil would be harder to cover up than on foreign soil. Sad, but true.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    The Microsoft Windows fans in the UK are sending Apple a warning: this is Microsoft territory.
    asdasdsingularitytallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 20
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

The Android fanatics have gone too far this time. Too far.
    singularitytallest skil
  • Reply 7 of 20
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Also, is that the correct photo? Looks a bit dry for Cork.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    jax44 said:
    Nah, it's  Samsung copying the IRA. 
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Get that bloody overseas profits repatriation bill passed in Washington and bring those profits...and the business...back to the US.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    asdasd said:
    Also, is that the correct photo? Looks a bit dry for Cork.
    They probably didn't want to alarm people further.

asdasd
  • Reply 11 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Probably some deluded social activist who has bought into the tax dodging, slave labor meme of late. Crockpots rule the Internet.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Sog, was that you??
    cnocbuiasdasd
  • Reply 13 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The Microsoft Windows fans in the UK are sending Apple a warning: this is Microsoft territory.
    The Republic Of Ireland isn't in the UK.
    singularitycnocbuitallest skilasdasd
  • Reply 14 of 20
    crowley said:
    The Republic Of Ireland isn't in the UK.
    Well it is almost 100 years since the Easter uprising. He may be a bit slow in the history department!  :D
  • Reply 15 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'm quite amazed in this day and age anyone on AI feels it's ok to make jokes about potential terrorist (yes I used the pre GWB term) threats.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    You don't evacuate staff; you evacuate buildings. The evacuation of 4,800 people would mean Hannibal Lecter has been busy.
    singularity
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I'm quite amazed in this day and age anyone on AI feels it's ok to make jokes about potential terrorist (yes I used the pre GWB term) threats.
    Come on, DC. Don’t be a Charlie Hebdo. No piece of shit omnicidal ideology is going to take away my freedom of expression. It’ll “stop being funny” when the war starts, just like Charlie Chaplin and Hitler.

And then it’ll be funny again afterward, once we’ve won.
    singularity
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Come on, DC. Don’t be a Charlie Hebdo. No piece of shit omnicidal ideology is going to take away my freedom of expression. It’ll “stop being funny” when the war starts, just like Charlie Chaplin and Hitler.

And then it’ll be funny again afterward, once we’ve won.
    Exactly, when no need has been hurt then it's fair game for humour and even then there deep seated need for people to use humour to cope with tradgedies 
  • Reply 19 of 20
    A fake bomb threat was issued for Apple's operations in Ireland on Monday, causing officials to evacuate 4,800 employees before giving the all-clear.

Credit: Independent.ie.

The incident affected about 4,000 employees at Apple's plant in Holyhill, as well as another 800 workers at Lavitt's Quay, according to the Irish Times. Officials looked into the matter and did not find any threatening devices.

The threat was reportedly issued on the website of Garda S?och?na, which is the national police force of the Republic of Ireland. The threat was posted at 8:20 a.m. local time with no specific location cited, and police began evacuating both facilities as a precaution at 10 a.m.

The Holyhill campus at Cork, or Corcaigh in Irish Gaelic, is home to Apple's first international base of operations outside the U.S.

Apple has an iMac assembly line at its Cork facilities, which is currently the only Apple-owned factory in the world. Cork-based employees also handle administration for Apple operations in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Apple plans to expand its presence in Ireland by adding 1,000 new positions for both manufacturing and customer service, it was announced last November.
    You don't have to mention that it's called Corcaigh in Irish. Unless you're one of the 40,000 or so (out of 4.7 million) Irish people who actually speak it, "Corcaigh" isn't a relevant piece of information.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Get that bloody overseas profits repatriation bill passed in Washington and bring those profits...and the business...back to the US.
    God you people are insufferable. Those aren't American jobs. They're jobs servicing Apple's position in Europe, The Middle East and Africa. The location was deliberately chosen because of its time zone location, the fact that the area is English speaking and the multilingual population also present. Those jobs aren't going anywhere near America. Stop listening to sound bites and start trying to actually understand the news. 

Although I do agree with you that your country needs to sort out its tax system because I'm sick to death of hearing pissbabies calling a country with a sensible corporate tax system a "tax haven" every five minutes just because yours can't seem to muster up the collective political will to follow suit. Ireland and The Netherlands can and should continue to take advantage of America's ineptitude for their own gain.