Donald Trump promises to make Apple manufacture in US instead of China

Comments

• Reply 61 of 187
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    So Trump wants to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US? I only know of one demographic of people that would be willing to work long hours in terrible conditions for minimum wage.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 62 of 187
    mattinoz said:
    Why is a Politician can lie though their teeth telling people clearly incorrect things that are popular and there is no recourse?
    Yet lying on a job application is considered fraud?
    That is because lying is a legitimate part of political profession.....primarily because legally there are no repercussions if they are caught doing so. I think some sort of legislative measure can help with that.
  • Reply 63 of 187
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Remember, Trump supporters are largely people who we used to call "Reagan Democrats." They are mostly pro-union, non-college educated, and like Social Security and Medicare, but don't trust Democrats on social issues. They used to rally around conservative Republicans, but are fed up with the Republicans, too. Economic populism plays well with this crowd.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 64 of 187
    tele1234 said:
    Putting aside the fact the guy is a colossal bigot, what's wrong with trying to encourage bringing industry home?

It's stupidly idealistic to say have it done 100% by tomorrow, but something like "50% USA-based profit has to come from USA-manufactured goods by 2023" or something is more realistic, and impose a tax penalty for those that don't - the proceeds of which go towards aiding in funding US-based manufacturing.
    Placing onerous requirements will just drive more companies away from the US. Our tax code already does that enough. Making it easier for American companies to bring overseas profits back home, and lowering the corporate tax rate to attract more foreign investment in the US would do more to create jobs. But those are more abstract, and so are harder to sell politically, particularly when one party's solution to every problem is to raise taxes and spend more money on it, and the other party is more concerned with social issues that have already been decided.
    hodar
  • Reply 65 of 187
    Maybe if Apple could bring home the money that it already paid all the legal taxes on overseas and was not facing double taxation if they did, they just might manufacture more here.  IDK, just a thought.  I stand ready to be flamed as it's not a subject I know much about.
    I bet the main concern for Apple is how much they spend on assembling a single product.
    1. I doubt it will be the same sum for products assembled here, in the US comparing to what Apple has to pay for that in China.
    2. I doubt that bringing taxes and paying them in the US is going to help alleviate 1) problem.
    Eliminating double taxation would make it easier for Apple to reinvest in R&D in the US. Those are the high-paying jobs these days, anyway.
    hodar
  • Reply 66 of 187
    ac1234ac1234 Posts: 138member
    mobius said:
    You guys saying he doesn't know what he's talking about are missing the bigger picture. He doesn't need to say things that are plausible or even possible. He just needs to say things that stupid people will think are great so he can up his poll count. There's no shortage of stupid people it would seem.
    You are correct that there is no shortage of stupid people - Obama got elected twice.
    enorl76jonltallest skilhodar
  • Reply 67 of 187
    "Make"? "Force"? Not the language of free trade. 
    More like not the language of American's in general. Of course government forces us to do a lot of things nowadays which isn't moral, but being moral isn't really governments forte.
  • Reply 68 of 187
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Very Good Mr. Trump. Now, tell Walmart,Target and thousands of businesses to not manufacturer and import cheap goods from China or other countries but manufacture here in USA. Presidential election pressure is making him retarded.
    edited January 2016 argonaut
  • Reply 69 of 187
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ac1234 said:
    mobius said:
    You guys saying he doesn't know what he's talking about are missing the bigger picture. He doesn't need to say things that are plausible or even possible. He just needs to say things that stupid people will think are great so he can up his poll count. There's no shortage of stupid people it would seem.
    You are correct that there is no shortage of stupid people - Obama got elected twice. 
    You can't go by that. Bush was also elected twice. I know, it was actually Cheney, but still . . .
    ronnargonautcnocbui
  • Reply 70 of 187
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    stevie said:
    But Apple manufactures things in China to make higher profits!
    Agreed but same is true for Walmart and thousands of businesses in USA from small to large manufacturer their products outside of USA including mostly in China. All of them do for their own profit, not charity or jobs for American people.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 71 of 187
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    LOL...I never find anymore idiotic idea than this. Sure you can make Apple to manufacture their products in US, but can any fucking American afford to buy one like they do now? Let's say $3000 iPhone and $5000 Macbook Pro? You're a completely ignorant to say things like this to get votes? From Muslim temple shutdown, immigration deportation, Mexico border wall build and now Apple product in US. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about except being an opportunist. 
    edited January 2016 ronnchiaargonaut
  • Reply 72 of 187
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    ben20 said:
    Bringing back manufacturing in the USA is a great idea and Apple did that already with the MacPro ! I rather see people assembling iPhones than flipping burgers, too ! 
    Can you get assemblers in the States to work for $20/day on iPhone?
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 73 of 187
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dewme said:
    Shame on the fools who've been letting Trump continue with his ridiculous sideshow while masquerading as a presidential candidate. I can't fathom how any legitimate political party can allow itself to be represented by such a blathering idiot. He's free to embarrass himself to his own hearts content and for the public's morbid entertainment, but at some point the republicans have to say "enough is enough" and send him back to his own twisted, narcissistic, and fabricated little universe. Yeah, I understand some people are unhappy with the current state of affairs but you don't sink the ship that your sailing on just because you don't like the captain. I've never seen a public figure that brings together so many moronic, nonsensical, and asinine traits all in one person. Most people without serious cognitive impairments, and non psychopaths, have at least one admirable personal quality. Trump has none, which makes me believe that this is all a big joke on the American people to poke fun at US politics. It's not funny anymore. Time to go home Donald. Show's over. 
    I would just add that Trump's rise has been very useful in showing us how insane and willfully ignorant a certain demographic in America has become. That includes those in his party who are willing to go further than him, like Cruz. 

Hopefully this junkyard-dog wing of the US electorate can be pacified with some kind of bone or other. Trump has shown it's our number one political pathology right now.
    muppetrythepixeldocronn
  • Reply 74 of 187
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    LOL - looking at the comments !  It will be the entertaining to see Donald Trump finally bring this country back what it once was, including Apple providing jobs for Americans !  If you ever make it to China, you'll see much they surpasses the US and will understand, what we talk about ;) 
    tallest skilhodar
  • Reply 75 of 187
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    genovelle said:
    Trump continues to prove he has succeeded because his fathers great wealth, which he has now inherited, has allowed him to make huge mistakes with no true consequences. He has been able to go bankrupt over and over and turn around and secure massive loans. He clearly has no idea how business works based on his comments. He is no Bill Gates or Steve Jobs who build something from nothing and changed the world. Imagine what they could have done if their parents could give them a small loan for a Million $. Maybe he should first try forcing the Trump companies he controls to manufacturer in the US before making ridiculous statements for headlines.

https://youtu.be/7goA_DnGIbU

Edit: Just noticed you mentioned this. Still funny.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 76 of 187
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    ben20 said:
    But wouldn"t you guys rather prefer your iPhone is made in the USA instead of China ? 
    Start with yourself, buy 100% from the US (if its even possible) and then come back to me and talk if your not in the poorhouse by then.

"Easy" solutution to complex issues is moron Trump's specialty.

Protectionism has been tried you know. It led to the great depression being even greater.

If Apple produces in the US it will be done mostly by robots.

Also, you do know that Apple's highest paying jobs ARE NOT IN GODDAMN CHINA.

Manufacturing is just a small part of the BOM of the Iphone, and there is no way most will come back here, especially final assembly.

chia
  • Reply 77 of 187
    zebra said:
    He did not say he would "force" Apple to do anything. There are many appropriate ways to "get" companies to use American labor - assuming they are available. Tim Cook says they aren't. Others say they are here. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. The tax, regulatory and union environment in the US discourage companies from expanding in the US. Trump might be able to influence some of the needed changes for Apple to build more computers in the US.
    All I hear is...I am a Trump apologist... I'll hand wave any idiocy he says...

Trump is talking pure crap as usual.

He has no power AT ALL. There is no highly skilled 600K workers that can be put on the line for a few months and then laid off.
    He cannot remake something that's been 50 years in the making and has to do with globalization and market forces with his big fat mouth.

He's doesn't care if what he says is impossible, his sycophant eat it up, as usual.

This is simply IMPOSSIBLE just like is damn Mexican wall of 99% of what he says.
  • Reply 78 of 187
    mattinoz said:
    Why is a Politician can lie though their teeth telling people clearly incorrect things that are popular and there is no recourse?
    Yet lying on a job application is considered fraud?
    There's lying, and then there's being a demagogue and pushing every single dangerous and moronic button in the book.

The last time we saw a politician like Trump is the 1950s-1960s in the US, in the red and anti civil right era.
  • Reply 79 of 187
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    cnocbui said:
    Maybe if Apple could bring home the money that it already paid all the legal taxes on overseas and was not facing double taxation if they did, they just might manufacture more here.  IDK, just a thought.  I stand ready to be flamed as it's not a subject I know much about.
    There would be no double taxation.  They would get a credit for any taxes paid overseas.  Since they have paid only 1.8% overseas, they would have to pay a sizable difference - which in the end amounts to the same level of tax as domestic earnings.

Why is the issue of repatriation of overseas moneys by US corporations so willfully misrepresented to make it seem as if it's a huge impost on companies when it's not?  There should be no need for talk of a tax holiday or special deal.  The last time corporations were given a holiday on repatriating overseas income with the supposed promise of greater investment in the US, they did no such thing.

Trump is a very dangerous buffoon.
    So the phones aren't made here, aren't sold here, aren't used here, yet taxes should be paid at US tax rates? And the reason is??? Meanwhile, companies can keep the money overseas where it is generated and use it in many ways in those markets, including as working capital to promote and build their overseas business with no US tax implications. They can also use it as cash reserves for future use. Seems like the right thing to do. Nothing wrong here.
    chia
  • Reply 80 of 187
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    genovelle said:
    It still wouldn't matter as the labor cost would be so high they would never sell the devices. 
    Not true, the final assembly, test and packaging labor cost for current Apple devices from China is quite low.
    For example an iPad from  China contains only about 5% China labor.  Also China's labor costs have been rising fast !
    The internal components come from several countries, made by machines with little labor cost per item.